Thread: K20 + Motec

K20 + Motec

Hi guys I did a search but didn't find very much. I'm trying to find anyone who is running a K20 motor with Motec. I realise so many would use hondata etc but if anyone out there happens to be using motec (esp M48) I'd love to have a chat with you.

Thanks
    Ben.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Squared
    From memory you can't run the M48 with a K20 motor. You need to get an M800 and enable the cam control option, then wire that output to the VTC solenoid, otherwise VTEC is just a simple on/off output.

What in particular are you after?

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    Wouldn't you be better off running a Haltech platinum series with the Haltech digital dash for a fraction of the price?
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Basically I already own the M48 and would rather use it (have never been a fan of haltech and some that I know using haltech that used to use motec aren't giving me great feed back)

I understand there are a few variants of K20, the one I'm looking into is the k20z1, but I'm trying to work out if its worth wiring in the motec from the word go or sort out the oem ecu and possibly look into hondata down the track - or even move into the modern motec.

From what I read on the motec website, they claim the m400 would also work on an i-vtec set-up....

You will need to forgive me as I haven't looked into honda motors before so the vtec system is new to me

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    what application are you using it for? is it dedicated track or street driven?
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Member Array
    Car:
    EURO LUX
    call centrax in brisbane they used motec on their dc5r race car

track only.

so my understanding is that the original vtec is basically a valve that sends oil to engage a 3rd cam follower once at a certain rpm/oil pressure.

How does this differ to what the ivtec does?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Squared
    Puss,

You better off emailing MoTeC with regards to the M400/800 compatibility - if you need a contact there, shoot me a PM, I have the guy you need to ask. Last I spoke with him in person it was the M800 that needed to be used and then enable the cam control, they may have changed the pricing structure as the same ECU can be essentially unlocked to act as whatever it needs to be - they come from MoTeC fully enabled so to speak. It didn't make sense to me why I had to buy an ECU that could control up to 8 cylinders just to have the luxury of controlling a camshaft...so they must've looked into it, or I misunderstood him.

The VTEC in the K series engines is like the B series (oil pressure activated rockers) but it's the VTC that you need to control which the B series hasn't got.. and if you decide to not run VTC you may as well call your K series an expensive B series. The VTC advances or retards the intake camshaft relative to engine load and rpm making a beaut of your power and efficiency overall - pretuned by Honda depending on the engine you have. This would be controlled in MoTeC by a 3d map which looks at TP and RPM.

If budget permits though, I would go with the M800 from the get go, sell your M48 for what you can get for it. If you ever decided to go with a myriad of customized outputs at least you know the M800 has the space to do it

Yes... MoTec >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Craptech.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK
    An M400 will work, so you would be up for selling the M48,

Motec also have better software for the 400/800 models where they have also incorperated Alpha N tuning, so if itbs come into the mix, they are much more tuner friendly.

Another good ecu to consider that will do it all would be the Vipec or the AEM series 2, if you look into the AEM and its features and what is also available for the price, its good value for money and I also have a contact for them, if you were interested and I might also know someone that would buy your M48.

PM if needed.

Array
    Car:
    08 Red CU2 Euro
    Having tuned all of the ECU's mentioned, it seems to me a no brainer to move to a Haltech Platinum Pro system.
    Yes, the M48 is good, but it can't do VTC.
    Moving to an M400 will work, but good luck getting the multiplex dash to work.
    + you'll need an inverted circuit to drive the VTC.
    (Same as Haltech Sport 1000 in FN2R or CL9)
    Fwiw, if the car is not a Std k-series platform, the sport 1000 is also a good choice.
    The advantage the Haltech has over the motec is the hard yards are done, ie setup.
    There is also a significant cost advantage.
    (I do it for $1950 supplied, fitted & tuned - Platinum Pro)

Re AEM, sorry Leo but I have to disagree.
    This system is crap.
    Same numbers inputed vs hondata, the kpro is ahead by 10kw.
    Haltech vs kpro, again same numbers imputed.
    The Haltech is ahead by 2-3 HP with sharper engine response.
    You would likely match these results with an m400/600/800 but at considerable expence.
    That's my 2c anyway.
    Last edited by TODA AU; 30-01-2012 at 12:13 PM.
    TODA Performance Australia Pty Ltd
    TODA Racing - FIGHTEX - MFactory - HALTECH - EXEDY
    Race engines, Dyno tuning, Licenced workshop, Parts.
    P:0401869524 email: toda@todaracing.com.au