Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    NSX52K

Best modifications to do first S2000

Since im still an amatuer and quite new to my S2000 was wondering if anyones got any ideas on the next modification i should do for my car. I'm not looking to spend massive amounts of money.

But i wouldnt mind saving up for something that would really help out my car. Im not going to be using it for track, only everyday driving, and spirited runs.

Recently changed my tires to a new set of Kumhos and replaced an OEM antenna.
    Next thing i was thinking was a Cold air intake as i heard it helps overall peformance and aesthetic.

Think its a good plan or should something else be a prioriy on my car.

My priority for my car right now is to have above average (stock) peformance. And then spend the rest on apperance.

Any help and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 S2000
    Welcome

Performance wise... I think a good balance would be between handling and power.
    As the engine is already highly tuned you'll find getting enormous amounts of power is expensive anyway. So stick with the basics and let the car breathe better...
    Intake, Headers, High Flow Cat (Or Test Pipe if you want to smell eggs all day long) and Exhaust.
    There's a few intake kits that are reasonably priced like the Fujita or K&N FIPK, Headers is a difficult one but Toda/J's Racing/ASM seem to be the go, High Flow Cat - Berk Technology seem to have the best valued one available and Exhaust has countless options Check out the threads at s2ki.com under the "Under the hood" section.

Handling also boils down to what you like in a car.
    With a street driven car, I'd personally start with KW V3 coilovers, Front sway bar, rear adjustable Toe arms, Alignment and of course good tyres (Not sure what type of Kumhos you have?) then go from there.

I'm assuming it's a second hand car, so also leave some money asside for anything that might end up breaking soon... it's a great reliable car but most aged cars will have a few parts that need replacing And the golden rule for modifying is "never replace, always upgrade" so if your radiator cracks for example, get a better one :P
    This is just my own thing but also try to choose quality parts... you'll find it'll save you the hassle or even danger of them breaking or running into other problems and wasting time fixing it - again.

Hope this helps.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    final drive would be the best for what your after.
    check out the thread and soon you will be ordering one, i got mine from s2ki.com there is a special for 295 US shipped ! cant beat that

Member Array
    Car:
    NSX52K
    Thanks aozora, appreciate your time and effort. Will take great consideration into what you've said.

Member Array
    Car:
    00' s2000
    - change your final drive (best thing to do, i did mine 2 4.44 with a 1.5way kaaz lsd and i love it!!!)
    - get coilovers
    - better brake pads and rotors
    - AND if u actually want more power..go forced induction.
    = thats a total of almost 10k but atleast its money well spent.

instead of buying all these NA parts that actually dont give the car anything but 'brand wank factor'.
    if you want noise, take your airbox lid off
    remember that they are built standard to be as good as they can possibly be in a NA perspective. i got mates who have spent money on exhausts n headers and have actually lost power.
    I spent 1k on my mugen intake and still till this day i still kick myself for spending that...probs a 5kw gain max..at the engine so probs nothing but a bit of response
    O and a nice set of wheels

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by tamay_s2k View Post
    snip
    I would advise against doing brake upgrades UNLESS you're in a situation where you can actually get them to fade. Ie. Hill runs.
    Otherwise if need be, get upgraded pads - stock rotors are fine. You'll find a lot of track people actually use OEM discs as slotted and cross drilled are prone to cracking more so. I track with RDA standard rotors with Project Mu HC+ pads and brake just fine.. awesome in fact Despite what alot of retailers will try to convince/sell you...

But like Tamay said, don't get something just for the name... Yet at the same time don't cheap out on bottom end, low tolerance production crap
    Do your research, if you choose the right headers, intake, cat and exhaust combo you will make a decent amount of power and responsiveness. Just don't go buying anything that looks pretty cause that can make you lose power...

Member Array
    Car:
    00' s2000
    aozora is 100% right

the only reason i changed my rotors was because ive been advised that the 'ebc red stuff' pads can really give standard rotors a hard time, plus i seen it myself on my mates GTR. his red stuff chewed stock rotors but once he changed the rotors no more issues
    .. plus mine havent been changed since ive had the car so they have dealt with 80000kms of driving
    how much did u pay for the project mu pads?
    recommend it????
    Last edited by tamay_s2k; 12-12-2011 at 04:10 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    You can pick up HC+ for around the $350 mark. Contact Johnny or Roy at On The Run Motorsports for exact pricing and let them know Josh sent you
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Member Array
    Car:
    NSX52K
    mmm after looking around and stuff, i think im gonna decide the next mod to change the air filter to a K&N one. then after that probably change the exhaust so it allows better flow.
    probably change the final drive much later on as its quite expensive.
    Sounds good?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    s2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtype View Post
    mmm after looking around and stuff, i think im gonna decide the next mod to change the air filter to a K&N one. then after that probably change the exhaust so it allows better flow.
    probably change the final drive much later on as its quite expensive.
    Sounds good?
    exhaust and fipk probably cost as much as a FD

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    wow if you think $800 is expensive for part and install then you have chosen the wrong car to mod !

Member Array
    Car:
    NSX52K
    Quote Originally Posted by RIHIA View Post
    wow if you think $800 is expensive for part and install then you have chosen the wrong car to mod !
    Who said anything about $800 O_o?