Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Flutter dump

Member Array
    Car:
    SEX 24/7
    On idle and revving, there is no heavy load, therefore the boost will be below 8psi. If you have a hks ssq depending on the spring setting, the bov will remain shut (if spring is hard) which will cause the boost pressure to return back into the compressor housing which will then cause your internal/external w/gate to release this rather than the bov. Hence why u get the flutter sound put of the intake filter or screamer pipe.

But if your bov spring is not as aggressive, then you can hear this both in the filter or screamer pipe or bov - just all depends on boost pressure & boost load.

Ninja - your def right its a hard one to explain, as ive seen many forced induction cars and they all work differently and will also depend on quality of parts, engine components etc etc the list goes on aswell as the debate..

Lol
    ------------------------------------------------
    EGK20A - CIVIC Sleeper stylez

Member Array
    Car:
    SEX 24/7
    Quote Originally Posted by senna View Post
    I know this is also the sound of screamer pipe wthout the flutter.

But i have seen and experienced the screamer/ex gated combo and output that flutter sound

Keyword: Combo

V&E Rigolli & Queen St loves these setup..

Yallah performance... Lol
    Last edited by XB-16-AX; 18-04-2012 at 09:42 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Quote Originally Posted by senna View Post
    They sound crap I reckon

It overpowers everything,not to mention your ears if youre next to them

Member Array
    Car:
    SEX 24/7
    Quote Originally Posted by EKVTIR-T View Post
    They sound crap I reckon

It overpowers everything,not to mention your ears if youre next to them
    If u have heard this in the carpark of westfields parra on a thurs shopping nite,

There is a custom queen st vl turbo screaming shit out of the flutter X/gated combo in the carpark and its loud as fck... Lol

They love this shit.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK CIVIC
    You do realise that air cannot pass through the compressor side of the turbo onto the turbine side right?

The wastegate has nothing to do with the intake or charge air. The wastegate controls the amount of exhaust gas that flows through the turbine housing, which in turn determines the speed of the turbo and the amount of boost created.

DL's explanation is accurate. The flutter is more apparent on smaller or highly efficient turbo setups because they spool quickly without a large amount of load.

The T28 is a small turbo so it only requires a small displacment engine to spool it quickly. I get a lot of flutter on my falcon since the GT3582R and 4L motor is a similar turbo-motor ratio
    OHSC

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Yeah but some bananas run screamer pipes on dailys

I didnt say it had anything to do with flutter

Member Array
    Car:
    EK CIVIC
    Sorry I should've quoted XB16AX
    OHSC

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by DLO01 View Post
    As said the 'flutter' noise is the boosted air passing back through the turbo compressor blades when throttle off (butterfly closed) as the boosted air can only escape this way (no blow off valve). The concern with damage to the turbo is the pressure it puts on the turbos shaft/bearings as the air faces the compressor blades in the opposing direction. This causes a shearing affect on the shaft and therefore more pressure on the bearings. Its of course better not to have it then to have it, but really would be more of an issue higher rpm, with big boost and or larger turbos. Surge at low rpm I don't think there is much concern at all.

Most BOV's can act very similar as you've described. ie flutter at low rpm and no flutter and total blow off at higher rpm where boost is higher. It just comes down to the reaction time of the BOV. Most BOV's can be adjusted by the spring, so you can play around with it and see what suits best. As said though, it probably won't solve you early flutter issue, but again as said above, flutter at low rpm is not an issue. Its common for most diaphram/piston traditional BOVS act this way.

A BOV does not work just on boost or just on vacuum alone. It works BOTH on boost AND vacuum.

Explain:
    Theres 2 'opposing' sides to a BOV. The boost side where the bov is connected to. Which is your intake pipe (before Throttle body). And theres the vacuum side usually connected to the top of the BOV, this is connected to the Intake Manifold (after the Throttle body). Both these connections work on a push/pull basis and oppose each other.

When your Accelerating in gear, foot down on the gass Butterfly is open right? The intake pipe side of BOV sees boost, lets say 8psi. What does the Vacuum side see? 8psi as well. Why? Because your foot is down on the gas and Butterfly is open. So you have equal pressure on both sides of the Throttle body. The BOV stays closed (which is what you want). Its because the 8psi in the intake piping is trying to push open the BOV (pre throttle body), but it can't because you have 8psi trying to keep it closed from the intake manifold (after throttle body) and also the spring. To sum up: In gear > on the gas > bov remains closed.

When your off the gas changing gears. Now that your off the gas, butterfly is now fully closed and you want it to blow off. But whats happening? The turbo is still spinning. Intake side is still boosted as the butterfly is now closed, so theres 8psi trying to push open the BOV. But whats happening on the other side of the BOV? now that the butterfly is closed it cannot see boost, in fact it now sees vacuum / negative psi, because the engine is still trying to suck in, but the butterfly is fully closed. So we have 8psi one side of the BOV and vacuum on the opposing side of the BOV. You have a push/pull affect. Pressure (push) on one side of the BOV and sucking vacuum pulling the BOV open. So the BOV fully opens and blows off.

If your interested Synapse makes a fast action BOV which does away with the delay of the traditional diaphragm design of every other BOV. See here:
    http://www.phantasmusa.com/synapse-blow-off-valves.html
    Looks awfully like direct knock off of HKS SSQ

Heres how the HKS operates to give some ppl a better understanding... ive had one on turbo b4, sounds nice, and defs well worth the money, and i mean buying the original one lol

I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Land Barge
    Holy shit, 3 pages on "flutter"
    Only OzHonda.

If it's that much of a concern then:
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...8/IMG_0053.jpg

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0009_large.jpg
    Econo Box pimping ain't easy.

Member Array
    Car:
    yokomo MR4TC-BD
    Quote Originally Posted by nigs View Post
    Only OzHonda.

wow that is a nice snail. would love to put one of these in my daily beat rush (toyota T18)

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by nigs View Post
    Only OzHonda.

And anyways u fail to see the bigger picture here....
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC