Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1988 Honda Accord

Base header worse than DC5R?

Just double checking. I cant seem to search the right thing to get an exact answer.
    I notice the JDM Manifold is better; but AUDM Base header, vs AUDM DC5R header?

Just trying to figure out a 'cheap' upgrade path for a base.

While on this topic what exactly ARE the differences in these headers? (im pretty sure i need an 'adaptor' too as one is smaller?)

I don't see the logic in putting the better header into the base model? It would make quite illogical sense.

Not sure about base header but the JDM header is a 4-2-1 header as opposed to a 4-1 collector on the AUDM DC5R. The AUDM header is restrictive for the K20A motor and so the exhaust air flow speed is significantly reduced.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1988 Honda Accord
    Why? 50% 'because I can' and 50% 'cheap breather mod'

spend some time on the RSX sites, its very well documented a decent exhaust on a base (when tuned) makes noticible difference.
    When it actually comes time to build, my aim is to have a very cheap, low consumption street car, which can grip like a beast, and flog the non-turbos out there.

On the track I'll be eaten alive. When speed limits apply; torque an grip ftw.

Of the three available headers, I would definitely take the JDM 4-2-1 header as it is a bang for buck upgrade that is indeed noticable. A stock car (DC5R) with a good tune can almost net 130kW so it's hard to say how much influence that header had on overall power.

Member Array
    Car:
    CP2 / EG5
    If you are lucky you can pick up the JDM DC5R headers for under $200, I did and it was a very good bang for buck mod.

Also note you will need an EP3R front sway bar to fit the header.

AUDM DC5R headers are rubbish

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5, EF8
    Quote Originally Posted by Tai View Post
    If you are lucky you can pick up the JDM DC5R headers for under $200, I did and it was a very good bang for buck mod.

Also note you will need an EP3R front sway bar to fit the header.

AUDM DC5R headers are rubbish
    To add to what Tai has already said.

You will need to run type r/s exhaust or JDM after market with these headers as the cat angle will NOT match base exhaust.
    I am using JDM DC5R headers atm and it is a very good upgrade. cheap and easy.
    Timmy_B DC5 Build

"isnt the vtec the same concept as a turbo anyway.."