Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by rhys.l View Post
    I agree. I wanted 205 rsrs, so I went a x7" wheel. The tyre will have a squarer profile to the rim and I believe this is beneficial. Just because you fit the same tyre to your rim doesn't mean you will get the same performance.
    Have you had time to evaluate them and form an opinion ?

I've had them for a fair while now, and I like them. I've never had a real performance/semi slick tyre before so I don't have much to compare them to, but to me they grip up really well, especially with some heat. They are good in the wet, and aren't noisy for normal driving. I have taken a decent chunk out of the front tyres after ~3000kms so I'm not expecting them to last for much more than 10-15 000km, but we will see. Backs should have good life.

One strange thing has happened - last mountain run they were really quite skatey and noisy. Not sure what the go is there, whether they have hardened up over time or if it was just a hiccup.

Anyway, would definitely recommend for the price!

Member Array
    Car:
    FD1-RR 2.7
    Done 22,000 in the last 4mths on my RSR's and they are holding up well, Two track days at Wakefield took a bit off the outside edge, but I've since put a bit more camber on the front, put in some eibach and flipped the rubber on the rims. I reckon I can get 1 more track day out of them and around 30-33,000 kms. Best bang for buck ya tyres at only $150 a pop. Yeah and the grip in the wet is awesome, except deep pools !

After the last 2 posts I might change my mind again (worse than an old woman. Well at least half of that's right) and go for the RS-R's. Not many tyres will handle deep water, my main concern was getting caught in a Qld downpour while travelling at 110k on the highway and not being able to pull off, 'cause there are some crazy dumba***s's out there who will blast on regardless.

Member Array
    Car:
    Land Barge
    Shouldn't be doing 110km.hr in downpour driving a civic anyway.

RSR are great for the price. They don't handle heat well though. Grip starts to go after 4 laps at Lakeside. Or about 6-8mins of a downhill chase. Uphill is fine.
    They don't really need to be warmed up, thus making them the perfect street tyre. And with a treadwear of 140, still classes them as a street tyre if you choose to compete with them.
    Sidewalls feel firmer than KU36 which is also called a "street semi slick" and shares the 140 treadwear rating.
    The RSR's also wear better than KU36 I think.......
    Both sets of KU36 I had were on a 1560kg car and a 1300kg car.

So if you're looking for a street tyre with plenty of grip for a low price and aren't concerned with tyre wear, RSR are good.
    Econo Box pimping ain't easy.

I agree totally about slowing down in heavy rain and as you must be a local you would know what that can be like here. It's the morons behind who seem to be totally oblivious that scare me.

Good to get that input re Lakeside, 4 laps isn't much to start noticing a falloff in grip. From the brands I've been looking at I think they're the only one with extra steel reinforcing in the walls.

Member Array
    Car:
    370Z/DC5
    Quote Originally Posted by nigs View Post
    Shouldn't be doing 110km.hr in downpour driving a civic anyway.

RSR are great for the price. They don't handle heat well though. Grip starts to go after 4 laps at Lakeside. Or about 6-8mins of a downhill chase. Uphill is fine.
    They don't really need to be warmed up, thus making them the perfect street tyre. And with a treadwear of 140, still classes them as a street tyre if you choose to compete with them.
    Sidewalls feel firmer than KU36 which is also called a "street semi slick" and shares the 140 treadwear rating.
    The RSR's also wear better than KU36 I think.......
    Both sets of KU36 I had were on a 1560kg car and a 1300kg car.

So if you're looking for a street tyre with plenty of grip for a low price and aren't concerned with tyre wear, RSR are good.
    What tyre pressures do you use?

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    I would personally be leaning towards Toyo R1R. They are grouped in the same category as the KU36 & 595RSR but are most likely more expensive than the Kumho or the Federal. From personal experience, the R1R's hold up well in Melbourne's wet weather & around Winton (EG, coilovers, standard swaybars f&r) held up for about 5 laps before the pressures started getting a bit to high and had to bring it in (chasing an optimal hot pressure of 30-32psi on 20-25 degree day). I was able to do two good track days at Winton on my R1R's after doing approx 10,000km of street driving and there was still, on average, approx 30% left all round before I sold them.

I haven't personally driven on the 595RSR at the track, but have been for a few passenger laps in a couple of civic's (one EP3 & one FD2) fitted with them and from the passenger seat, it feels like the fronts heat up to quickly & understeer starts to occur only after 2 or 3 laps (and this was using the 32-34psi hot window). The KU36 I have driven on (one DC5 & one EVO6) but only on the street and find that even tho the treadwear rating is quite low, they are, to put it nicely, fairly average when cold (compared to the R1R's) and require some form of heat in them before they start to grip & are quite noisy.

Hope this helps out
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Member Array
    Car:
    Land Barge
    R1R should be heaps more. For that price if purchased locally, you'd start looking at getting more serious tyres from tirerack.com

34psi hot. I really have NFI about what pressures are best for wear. With mediocre tyres, it all felt much of muchness to me.
    Econo Box pimping ain't easy.

Member Array
    Car:
    Dc2 + EG
    From what i've heard R1R overheat pretty quickly as well.