Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Skunk2 IM on b18c2 worth it?

hey guys, im just looking for people's opinions about the skunk2/blox intake manifolds for the b18c2

My question is, other than the fact that it makes the motor a single stage vtec (rather than dual stage with the clamshell intake), are there any other gains that can be had by installing this IM?

i dont know if i can justify paying $350+ for the IM and $300+ for a hondata S*00 to tune the engine to single stage vtec, just for the purpose of a noticable kick lol.

any help will be much appreciated!

thanks
    -Josh
    team.gradeA

more smart. more safe. moreTEIN

Any other mods besides IM?

If you are going to tune it then yes, if you install without a tune you will notice a flat spot from 4-5k.

You will notice gains in the higher RPM (which is where VTEC kicks ass anyways, so why not do it) this is because of the shorter, wider runners and larger plenum of the skunk2 IM. The stock dual intake isnt that bad IMHO, it provides good low end torque.

I have a skunk2 IM on my b18c2 and made 117kw at the wheels with a tune and other simple bolt on mods. The pull in the higher RPM is VERY noticeable.

OR

Make the secondary butterflies always open, kinda pointless as they are open at higher RPMs but anyways..

Honda-tech.com has a good thread on it : http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2785584

Good luck!
    Last edited by infurNOS; 24-12-2011 at 07:19 PM.
    EG

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R, EG & EP3R
    there is a review of the skunk2 IM and Injen CIA.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...ntake+manifold

But I reckon just get this if you already got I/H/E. Just my 2c. Merry xmas

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    Sorry to hijack, but I have a quick question regarding this. I have a b18c2 in my eg with a manifold that has been ported and port matched to match the 68mm throttle body. I have however not wired in the secondary butterflies. Car has been tuned for the setup with the butterflies wired in properly. So my question is, if I got a skunk2/blox manifold to replace this one, would I have to retune? Its an s200. I would imagine being tuned for a ported b18c2 intake with 68mm throttle body I can't see it affecting tune much, however i wanted to check as I don't want my motor leaning out and blowing up rofl. Its overfuelling like a whore atm anyway. Sorry to hijack OP, just didn't wanna start a new thread!

Cheers,

Vik.
    SunCoast Hondas

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    Temp3st, you will need a retune.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    Well see I'm getting mixed answers on that one, so I'm just gonna bung up the vacuum control this arvo and see if that fixes my problem. Cause if it does I'm just gonna leave it like that until I can get a retune then pick up and install a Skunk2 IM at the same time I think, will have to see this arvo I guess. Cheers for the feedback!
    SunCoast Hondas

Quote Originally Posted by Temp3st View Post
    Well see I'm getting mixed answers on that one, so I'm just gonna bung up the vacuum control this arvo and see if that fixes my problem. Cause if it does I'm just gonna leave it like that until I can get a retune then pick up and install a Skunk2 IM at the same time I think, will have to see this arvo I guess. Cheers for the feedback!
    just because your IM has the second butterflies always open doesnt automatically make it a skunk 2. The skunk2 has shorter and wider runners and also a bigger plenum which also contributes.
    EG

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    Lol yeah I do actually know that, the aim of the exercise is to see whether or not it actually gets rid of my erratic acceleration problem or not, which it hasnt, so back to the drawing board.
    SunCoast Hondas

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Quote Originally Posted by infurNOS View Post
    just because your IM has the second butterflies always open doesnt automatically make it a skunk 2. The skunk2 has shorter and wider runners and also a bigger plenum which also contributes.

The skunk2 has a different 4th runner too.

good manifold, I have it on my B18C2.
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

there are differences in the P72 (vtir dc2) head compared to the PR3 (b16a and dc2 ITR ) heads which should be considered too ! Chucking on a PR3 copy inlet manifold wont exactly make it flow like a PR3

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    Yeah I'm not after the perfect flow, I was just curious to see if it would fix my flat spots, but after blocking off the vacuum line (and consequently keeping the secondary butterflies open) I still have the exact same problem so now I'm back to square one
    SunCoast Hondas

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    Temp3st, what other mods do you have on your car? Can you list everything that has been changed? If it's stock and you have flatspots - go to the mechanic.

If you have lots of mods and no tune, this can be the reason. Even something that appears small like an intake can give you flat spots. If you have an aftermarket intake, try fitting the stock on back on and then see if the flat spots are gone.