Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8

Unknown oil leak

Hey guys i've just found out an oil leak in my engine and i can't seem to find what the cause is. I took some photos of where the leak is occuring and look forward to your opinions thanks guys.

NOTE: The reason why the area highlighted in red is clean is because i just wiped it.
    Last edited by mattsrea; 28-12-2011 at 07:54 PM. Reason: OMG.JAI xD reminded me about the clean area

Member Array
    Car:
    Choo Choo shoe.
    Cannot see an oil leak dude... I must be blind.

Judging by the pictures, you have an automatic box.

Best thing to do first is to determine what kind of oil it is. Take a sample on a clean tissue. Red is transmission. Brown or black is engine oil. Clear is brake fluid (highly unlikely). Water based (coolant).

Once you find what oil it is, thats where you start looking.

The location youve highlighted, may come from 2 possible places. The gasket under those solenoids.
    Or oil is running down from the distributor. (theres an o-ring that goes between the dizzy and head.)

Let us know what oil is it and we may be able to help you out a little bit better.

best thing to do first is wash it down, and keep an eye out for the leak everyday, check where is wet, from top to bottom

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Ohhh u cant see it because i just wiped it clean LOL sorry, but yeah it was brown when i used a clean tissue. So its definate oil. And i check that particular area after i drive and its been reoccring so thats how i know its a leak

any chance you can be more precise? unleaded fuel is an oil as well, engine oil, power steering oil, grease oil? etc thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by krillin View Post
    any chance you can be more precise? unleaded fuel is an oil as well, engine oil, power steering oil, grease oil? etc thanks
    Im using Shell Vortex and im pretty sure its engine oil.

Member Array
    Car:
    Choo Choo shoe.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsrea View Post
    Ohhh u cant see it because i just wiped it clean LOL sorry, but yeah it was brown when i used a clean tissue. So its definate oil. And i check that particular area after i drive and its been reoccring so thats how i know its a leak
    Unleaded is not brown.
    Unleaded is either clear or yellow/greenish. Red if e10.

To OP.

Is this a vtec engine? Looking at the 2nd picture it looks like you have a trail of oil comming from the left hand side of the dizzy.
    If this is a single cam vtec (im guessing). The vtec solenoid gasket/seal may be leaking. (on the intake side of the cylinder head.)
    Very common as the seal just gets old and brittle.
    Best to take your airbox or intake off and have a look underneath all the components on the side of the cylinder head.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by OMG.JAI xD View Post
    Unleaded is not brown.
    Unleaded is either clear or yellow/greenish. Red if e10.

To OP.

Is this a vtec engine? Looking at the 2nd picture it looks like you have a trail of oil comming from the left hand side of the dizzy.
    If this is a single cam vtec (im guessing). The vtec solenoid gasket/seal may be leaking. (on the intake side of the cylinder head.)
    Very common as the seal just gets old and brittle.
    Best to take your airbox or intake off and have a look underneath all the components on the side of the cylinder head.
    Yeahh its a single cam vtec, if your suggesion is correct about the vtec solenoid gasket/seal may be leaking, how much will it cost to get a new seal? Also is it easy to install? My friends also had this problem as me and his still doesnt know the cause (we have the same engine) so i assume its like 80% chance from the vtec solenoid seal. But i will check the airbox of tomorrow to confirm.

who knows mate, this is e diagnosing it could be anything, fuel rail could of sprung a leak, and caused it to spread all over dirt and grime, i'm not being stupid either.

thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    By the way quick noob question guys: Would i be able to travel far with this leak? Because i gotta go Melbourne in the weekend and I was thinking of checking it out it when i get back.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    who knows mate, this is e diagnosing it could be anything, fuel rail could of sprung a leak, and caused it to spread all over dirt and grime, i'm not being stupid either.

thanks
    You'd diagnose that by noticing the smell of the petrol which is unmistakeable.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    You'd diagnose that by noticing the smell of the petrol which is unmistakeable.
    I didn't smell any petrol fuems so its not petrol. Been doing some research and can't seem to find a decent conclusion. Heres what i been reading http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2837945 similar problem to me