Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Intermittent drop in power

Hi all, first time poster, long time Jazz driver.

Over the weekend I was driving for about half an hour, when out of nowhere my car felt like it had a weird lurch. Kind of like a hiccup. I was doing about 80km/h, just cruising on a highway. And since then, it's done the same issue a couple of times.

It happens mostly, but not all of the time, when I accelerate from a set of red lights. And sometimes it might happen if I'm just cruising along a freeway.

It'll just hiccup for half a second, no real noticeable drop in power but you can feel it lurching. At worst, it'll hiccup three times in succession - not often.

My gut tells me it's a fuel pump issue. I thought it was a misfire, but I can't hear or feel any cylinders dropping out. Wanted to know if anybody had a similar issue.

I'm driving 1600km to South Australia this weekend, so I'd kind of like some reassurance!

My car's a 2007-spec Honda Jazz, 1.3L GLi, auto, +140,000km.

Cheers!

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    any CEL's?

weird sounds?
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

No lights pop up when it happens, it doesn't feel like it's going to stall on me either. I just sort of let it do its thing and it goes away, not really doing anything to aggravate it. No weird sounds either. I'll try to record some video/audio of it when I go for a drive later today.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterMcGinley View Post
    No lights pop up when it happens, it doesn't feel like it's going to stall on me either. I just sort of let it do its thing and it goes away, not really doing anything to aggravate it. No weird sounds either. I'll try to record some video/audio of it when I go for a drive later today.
    Good idea

S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    JazzVibeS/Prado
    Gearbox/engine mounts?
    Mine started stuff like that before a gearbox mount packed it in.
    Jazz: stock, K&N panel filter.
    120 Series Prado GXL Petrol: Pacemaker extractors, Dual 2 1/4" exhaust, 70 series MT STZ's, ARB non-winch bullbar, snorkel, Dimpled and slotted rotors.

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    hmm, 1.3L DSI jazz jumping could be a CVT related issue.

I've heard of some prety crazy wack stuff happening to the MINI cooper CVTs thats simular to this i think.

when does it happen? hot days? cold days? certain speeds? certain engine speeds?

Quote Originally Posted by BiLL|z0r View Post
    Gearbox/engine mounts?
    I actually had an engine mount break on me just after the 105,000km. It made a different noise that time.

Quote Originally Posted by GU357 View Post
    hmm, 1.3L DSI jazz jumping could be a CVT related issue.

I've heard of some prety crazy wack stuff happening to the MINI cooper CVTs thats simular to this i think.

when does it happen? hot days? cold days? certain speeds? certain engine speeds?
    That's what scares me most. It doesn't seem like gearbox, at least by the way it sounds and otherwise feels like. Can't hear gears trying to run for freedom.

It's not discriminant when it does it. It lurched a bit more when I filled up a full tank earlier tonight. It'll happen anywhere from just after launch, or even if I've been cruising for about half a minute. It'll subtly do it even at 100km/h, but it's more around city driving speeds where it appears most - well that's where I do most of my driving.

I recorded some vision of my rev counter it while I was driving earlier today, which I'll upload when I get a spare moment before I consult a mechanic and accountant.

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    the cvt has no gears? so u want hear them running it has a belt pulley system where the pulleys get bigger to change the ratio

Quote Originally Posted by BiLL|z0r View Post
    Gearbox/engine mounts?
    Quote Originally Posted by GU357 View Post
    the cvt has no gears? so u want hear them running it has a belt pulley system where the pulleys get bigger to change the ratio
    I've obviously got no clue how CVT works! Just my hunch tells me it's somewhere engine wise, but I'm clearly no engineer.

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    hmm.
    well a CVT gear box has the input shaft drive a pulley and the pulley spins a belt which spins another pulley.
    the other pulley turns the drive shaft (through a wet multiplate clutch) that then drives the wheels.
    both of the pulleys change size to create the multiple gear ratios. so a small drive pulley and large driven one is a low gear for taking off, high revs low speed
    this is why its constantly variable transmission.
    because the ratios can be constantly changing to suit your throttle position and where the power is in the engines rev band.
    so full throttle engine knows u want max power power so sets the gear box to a good ratio to keep the engine at 5000rpm (or where ever peak power is) and constantly changes the ratio till its closer to 1:1. its very smart.

anyway just take it to the mechanic im no engineer either but i like to know important things about my car.

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2