Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why is the Accord Euro in existence?

Just wondering,

Why is there a need for an Accord designated for the European market?

Wouldn't it be easier for Honda to ship off the Thai Accord everywhere?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by I CU2 View Post
    Just wondering,

Why is there a need for an Accord designated for the European market?

Wouldn't it be easier for Honda to ship off the Thai Accord everywhere?
    The Accord Euro is not an Accord designated for the European market. It is the Accord that is sold in Japan. You could call it the Accord designated for the Japan domestic market.

In Europe, many cars are sold with a manual transmission. The Thai Accord is auto-only, so it wouldn't have sold well at all in the European market. So they probably went with the Accord Euro which did have a manual transmission. In addition, in Japan where the Accord Euro was designed and manufactured, they tend to prefer cars that are not as big as the Thai Accord. A similar situation occurs in Europe where smaller cars sell better than larger cars (they also love practicality, hence they buy a lot of hatches).

Back in 2003, the Thai Accord was a much bigger car compared to the CL9 Accord Euro, so in Australia Honda decided to challenge the mid-size market which was controlled by the Mazda6 using the CL9 Accord Euro. The Thai Accord would not have had a chance at all because the Mazda6 won on size and handling dynamics. Even the CL9 had much more power than the 4-cyl Thai Accord.

Then in 2009, the CU2 Accord Euro is released which is MUCH MUCH bigger. The 4-cyl Thai Accord got a nice power bump as well which brings their power outputs closer. So now, there is not much difference between it and the Thai Accord other than looks and some handling.
    Last edited by aaronng; 07-01-2012 at 04:41 PM.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Exactly, wouldn't it now be more economical to just have one Accord instead of two variants?

Member Array
    Car:
    ACCORD EURO
    But remember they are VERY diffirent cars,the Euro is more of a global model,as the Thau Accord would not work in a lot of markets because of size,and the Euro would not work in a few because of price.

But I have heard rumours that for the next generation there may only be one Accord for ALL global markets.

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2
    hondas forged in vietnam now?> so what would quality be?
    what gets wet ...while its drying?

Side note again based on MR_LATE's comment above:

Why is the Accord Euro still made in Japan and not moved over to Thai Accord land?

Member Array
    Car:
    ACCORD EURO
    Hondas best products are made in Japan...LOL.

Euro is made in Japan,as well as China,where it is called the Honda Spirior

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro 2010 model
    The big accord is assembled in Thailand and engine is still made in japan is it?

Our Euro is made and assembled in japan and you can see the interier quality...

Quote Originally Posted by antony View Post
    Hondas best products are made in Japan...LOL.

Euro is made in Japan,as well as China,where it is called the Honda Spirior

Member Array
    Car:
    ACCORD EURO
    The quality and finish of Japaneese built cars are the best in the world.

Our 2012 Jazz and all new Civics are also going to be built in Japan....which will be a good selling point.

Why is everyone moving back to Japan?

Poor build quality in Thailand?

Member Array
    Car:
    07' CL9 Lux 5AT

Thai floods my friend.

I'm willing to bet that Japanese production of Civics and Jazz will only be a short-term thing until they sort out the factory. After all, even if the FOB cost of sourcing vehicles from Japan and Thailand were the same (unlikely), logic would dictate that freight would be cheaper from Thailand. Then there's also the Thai free trade agreement.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro 03

.and also to stimulate the japanese economy. tourism in japan is down quite a bit since the tsunami. Japan thinks about japan first (good moto for a country i think)