Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R

oil pressure gauge noob question

Hey, just got a free prosport oil pressure gauge and am gonna get it installed soon. Noob question tho... How do i read an oil pressure gauge? What readings should I be looking out for?
    I know low oil pressure is bad but I read that people can determine when to change their oil and stuff from what the gauge reads... :\ and when in vtec, is oil pressure meant to drop?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by UNA91 View Post
    I read that people can determine when to change their oil and stuff from what the gauge reads...
    where did you read this?

Member Array
    Car:
    inb4yursorryass
    on cold start the oil pressure will be above 95psi ..once warmed up it should drop to 60-70psi .. ..which means its safe to VTakk her .. ..

if the oil pressure (psi) is below 30...then you will need to check you oil levels - top up if needed.

never let your oil pressure drop below 30psi .. as this will cause engine damage due to low oil levels etc.

ive never heard of the oil pressure being the indicator of an oil change...but oil level being low then yes this can be indicated by using a oil pressure gauge if the reading is below 30psi.
    Last edited by IV73CI; 11-01-2012 at 06:18 AM.
    B to BFrank to K .... ive had it ......

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R
    ^ah i guess it sorta makes sense; i must've misinterpreted the oil change with low oil levels lol >.>

Also, how many amps would the gauge use? I'm wanting to put an inline fuse to the powerwire

Member Array
    Car:
    inb4yursorryass
    Quote Originally Posted by UNA91 View Post
    ^ah i guess it sorta makes sense; i must've misinterpreted the oil change with low oil levels lol >.>

Also, how many amps would the gauge use? I'm wanting to put an inline fuse to the powerwire
    Most gauges illumination bulbs only use 0.5v-1v per wattage. In your case the bulb might be a generic 7w T wedge type. If u google for wattage/voltage to current amps conversion im sure u can do the maths from there.

Sorry i cant remember the formula but im sure google would know

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by IV73CI View Post
    on cold start the oil pressure will be above 95psi ..once warmed up it should drop to 60-70psi .. ..which means its safe to VTakk her .. ..

if the oil pressure (psi) is below 30...then you will need to check you oil levels - top up if needed.

never let your oil pressure drop below 30psi .. as this will cause engine damage due to low oil levels etc.

ive never heard of the oil pressure being the indicator of an oil change...but oil level being low then yes this can be indicated by using a oil pressure gauge.
    Im sorry but thats wrong.

Ideal oil pressures for each engine will be specified in the factory service manual. when hot and at different rpm.

Giving a blanket statement like "cannot drop below 30psi" is incorrect.

Example. Honda EG Civic - FSM, as well as Honda Integra FSM.

At 80deg C at idle should be 10psi minimum, at 3,000rpm 50psi minimum.

Oil pressure will vary slightly depending on what thickness oil you are using, but read the manual specific to your car to determine minimum oil pressures.

My cold start oil pressure (D16Y1) sits at 75psi.

When at 80deg C @ idle 15psi, and about 60-65psi @3,000rpm

edit: on further checking through the manuals pretty much every honda motor requires the above minimum oil pressures
    Last edited by markismaximus; 11-01-2012 at 06:58 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    inb4yursorryass
    Quote Originally Posted by markismaximus View Post
    Im sorry but thats wrong.

Ideal oil pressures for each engine will be specified in the factory service manual. when hot and at different rpm.CORRECT

Giving a blanket statement like "cannot drop below 30psi" is incorrect. YOUR STATEMENT IS WRONG

Example. Honda EG Civic - FSM, as well as Honda Integra FSM.

At 80deg C at idle should be 10psi minimum, at 3,000rpm 50psi minimum.ON IDLE WITH OIL PRESSURE BELOW 10psi? is LOOKING FOR TROUBLE & 3000rpm 50psi is CORRECT as the oil pressure will increase as your revs gets higher

Oil pressure will vary slightly depending on what thickness oil you are using, but read the manual specific to your car to determine minimum oil pressures.CORRECT
    coming from MY experience

ive own 40cars in my entire driving history (since i got my Learners) all modified cars from Turbo, superchargers, NA heavily modified cars all with Oil pressure gauges, etc.

just realistic - oil pressure 10psi or below on IDLE is just not right. it could drop to that point (on sudden stops, high revving) but should rise once the car has idled and normal engine temp has settled.

NEVER ALLOW YOUR oil pressure to drop below 30psi on IDLE, Normal engine temp (warm) and this is not a blanket statement its a true life experience and a general fact.

You are right in some theory/practical sense, and yes your right too depends on the oil thickness, engine oil pressure system condition, age of the engine, typical driving conditions are also a factor.
    Last edited by IV73CI; 11-01-2012 at 07:00 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    ok, so HONDA is wrong? All the service manuals stating oil pressures must be wrong? I said 10psi at idle is the MINIMUM as per the FSM.

Download all the manuals and look for yourself, its under the engine lubrication section of the manual. Facts don't lie mate.

Here ---> http://www.spoonertuner.com/manuals

Member Array
    Car:
    inb4yursorryass
    ok, so HONDA is wrong? All the service manuals stating oil pressures must be wrong? I said 10psi at idle is the MINIMUM as per the FSM.

Download all the manuals and look for yourself, its under the engine lubrication section of the manual. Facts don't lie mate.

Here ---> http://www.spoonertuner.com/manuals
    Honda Manuals are reference guides and often will change due to wear and tear of the engine. Therefore readings, quantity will no longer be close to the ORIGINAL manufactures specs. UNLESS your going to REBUILD your entire motor back to OEM spec.

when noobs ask for help or answers, they are looking for REAL life experiences/answers unless they state "need answers to OEM spec" ..in this case its an overall experience/answers.

Manuals will never be as accurate as circumstances changes. but YES your Manual guides are correct if the topic was based on OEM spec.

Manuals are guides, but when it comes to REAL life experiences these books are often put aside and you learn from your own mistakes or experiences.

i always read manuals before installing/building anything, but at the end of the day these products are never manufactured to what the manual says, theres always a slight modification required or missing.

thats my two cents yo.

back to OP - there no need for bible stories etc :P

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by IV73CI View Post
    Honda Manuals are reference guides and often will change due to wear and tear of the engine. Therefore readings, quantity will no longer be close to the ORIGINAL manufactures specs. UNLESS your going to REBUILD your entire motor back to OEM spec.

when noobs ask for help or answers, they are looking for REAL life experiences/answers unless they state "need answers to OEM spec" ..in this case its an overall experience/answers.

Manuals will never be as accurate as circumstances changes. but YES your Manual guides are correct if the topic was based on OEM spec.

Manuals are guides, but when it comes to REAL life experiences these books are often put aside and you learn from your own mistakes or experiences.

i always read manuals before installing/building anything, but at the end of the day these products are never manufactured to what the manual says, theres always a slight modification required or missing.

thats my two cents yo.

back to OP - there no need for bible stories etc :P
    I respect your opinion/experience but disagree with it. Your statement is also contradictory.

If the pressures specified by honda are OEM (with new motor) then the pressures would be even lower once the engine is worn. So therefore the pressures stated cannot be new build OEM spec.

Guess what I'm saying is if you say the oil pressure should never be below 30psi every honda engine on here would need a rebuild in your opinion? Do you know what your current oil pressure is on your honda? What were all your previous cars? all hondas?

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    Your incorrect IV73CI, i dont know where you pulled that minimum 30 psi figure from but different engines require different pressures. Op has a ep3r listed as his car under his avatar so would assume this is for a K20.

Minimum oil pressure test for K20a3, should be similar to Op's engine.
    "I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." - Ayrton Senna

Member Array
    Car:
    inb4yursorryass
    I respect your opinion/experience but disagree with it. Your statement is also contradictory.

If the pressures specified by honda are OEM (with new motor) then the pressures would be even lower once the engine is worn. So therefore the pressures stated cannot be new build OEM spec.

Guess what I'm saying is if you say the oil pressure should never be below 30psi every honda engine on here would need a rebuild in your opinion? Do you know what your current oil pressure is on your honda? What were all your previous cars? all hondas?
    ive had a mitsubishi lancer / frank vtec turbo .. oil pressure on idle is around 60-70psi .. this is a heavily worked motor bottom to top.

my old GTR32 oil pressure was round 80-90psi ..this is because the idle was set on 1000rpm ..due to the larger single T66 turbo.

VR4 Legnum TT stock motor just with minor intake/exhaust bolt ons = 50-70psi

Corolla GTi 4AGZE built in oil pressure gauge in the dash showed middle line = 45-65psi (max reading was 120psi)

i can list them all .... lol..

right now my EM1 is pending for an oil gauge install (just waiting on the gauge to arrive from US) - once i install this ill let you know what the reading is for a B18/B20 frank All motor build bottom to top 11.3.1 CR . definitely the oil pressure on this should be higher than oem spec.

So im not contradicting, im stating/trying to say is that oil pressures will differ from motor to motor (compression ratio can also be a factor here) , it will all depend on your motor / mod setup which will make your oil pressure fluctuate. but if your car is OEM stock as a rock and in a immac condition - then oil pressure should be close to oem spec.

otherwise it will be different.

at the end of the day ... oil pressure is important, the easiest way to know if your oil is low is just check the oil level dip stick :P FTW!! whooopp!!
    Last edited by IV73CI; 11-01-2012 at 10:01 AM.