Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

-

-----
    Last edited by itrungs; 16-07-2014 at 01:06 AM.

Trick question?
    MX5 have a LS1 or something?

S2K FTW!

Definitely comfy enough to daily (in stock-ish form) and decent economy if you keep the revs low. I can manage 500-550km if I baby it... (Note I never let it get empty)

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    just keep it. if you sell it, youll miss it.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi
    Not sure if serious on easier power gains on an 1.6L mx5 vs 2.0L f20c.....

There are n/a s2000's lapping 1:07 around Wakefield park some even stock motors.
    Do I need to say more

Member Array
    Car:
    Eg Civic
    As above you will see way more power gains out of intake/headers/exhaust in an s2k than an mx5.

A b16 civic will eat an mx5 straight line and a stock s2k will eat a b16 civic everyday of the week.

If it was me I'd personally sell the mx5, do suspension work to it, and even on a stock as a rock motor setup you'd be faster than modified mx5s
    "Wheels are like bosoms to men, and cars have four of them"

Member Array
    Car:
    S2K
    I like MX5's, with some proper modifications they are absolutely fantastic on the track. Easy to turbo the engine, parts are everywhere and easy to work on, oh, and incredibly easy to drive on the limit.

The S2000 is far superior out of the box (also more expensive), possibly a bit more of a handful to drive on the limit, modifications are plentiful but unless you are going to spend big money on your aftermarket parts, most will actually detract from performance as the car is properly engineered out of the box so spending $800 on coilovers is not going to do you any favours.

Personal preference really, with either you cant go wrong.

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1,DC2R,NA6
    Hey man,

I'll give you my opinion considering I moved from an NA6 to the AP1.

Cabin room you're not going getting more room than the NA. It's still a tad tight however that's the way roadsters should be. I was in your position, I had an option to go all out on the NA or upgrade to the AP1. In terms of power, yes you can get more power out of the b6 than the f20c. Slap a turbo on the b6 and you'll be flying combining it with it's light weight. If you want to take it a step further by swapping it to a b8+t, sr20, or even a ls1.

-The gear shifting is simply amazing - best I've ever felt.
    -Revs to 9,000 rpm.
    -Auto soft-top roof. (compared to the manual ones on mx5s)

Reason I sold it was because it just too old - rust, rattles, loud. Not something I would take to work everyday. Yes, I could've spent the extra cash to have to restored but was it really worth it? To me, no. I wanted a newer base to work on and the s2000 seemed like the best option - N/A(because I'm on my p's).

The cons of owning one?
    -Insurance is over the roof, I'm <25 and it's about $3,000 / year.
    -Modding the car isn't cheap for this car.
    -Petrol - I get around 400km on a full tank. I don't how some get 500-550kms, I baby mine and yet I barely hit over 400kms. Still doesn't concern me though.

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 S13
    answer to your problems... f20c mx5 heheh but yea might not be able to street it.

but if you're looking for something in between maybe a 2zz-ge converted mr-s

but like others said, the s2000 is a better car but alot more expensive, the car itself and the mods.
    mx5 is alot easier and more fun to drive.
    FYS

My fake shit rocks!
    Winton 1:35.4
    Wakefield 1:07.87

you don't need to mod an s2k, they're ridiculous from factory. You're only gonna get an extra 20kw atw from N/A mods after spending at least 5k. Unless you're after sound from an exhaust system, not worth the cash (or if you're loaded go ahead lol why not).

Point is, from factory, they are the bomb. Tuned the way the are to handle like mofo's on a track and go enough.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by eg5civic View Post
    As above you will see way more power gains out of intake/headers/exhaust in an s2k than an mx5.
    Classic OzHonda post. Spoken authoritatively we absolutely no basis in reality whatsoever.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    The S2000 is pretty highly tuned from the factory. As a result, NA tuning mods don't really improve it much.

So yes, you will get a much more noticeable improvement from I/H/E mods on a 1.6L MX5, and it'll still be slower than a stock S2000.

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    Quote Originally Posted by eg5civic View Post

A b16 civic will eat an mx5 straight line and a stock s2k will eat a b16 civic everyday of the week.

If it was me I'd personally sell the mx5, do suspension work to it, and even on a stock as a rock motor setup you'd be faster than modified mx5s

Quote Originally Posted by AusS2000 View Post
    Classic OzHonda post. Spoken authoritatively we absolutely no basis in reality whatsoever.

Have you got the dyno sheets to back up your words? I have heard (tho never proven) you can see some good power gains on early MX5 engine's with simple mods. You cannot compare outright killerwasps between the two engine's if that's what you mean
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8