Banned Array
    Car:
    R34 GTR Vspec

stage 3 clutch on daily driven d16y1.. overkill?

hey guys, just picked up my eg vti.. the clutch is a little worn and needs replacing. ive found a very affordable clutch kit. however, its a stage three kit. i am planning on boosting the d16 later down the track. maybe in a year or so. will a stage three kit be over kill until that time? i know it might be a little hard on the leg, but will it effect the cars performance/power at all in a negative way? i do plan on doing a little spirited driving. will an aggressive clutch wear out other things?

also, what would it be like if the car had an extremely light flywheel? will it need to idle higher as i release the clutch?

thanks in advance
    Last edited by cihanvtec; 15-01-2012 at 02:57 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S15
    Sounds overkills to me. I dont think a D16 turbo would make enough torque to warrant it. Unless it was a OMGWTF build, which I doubt you'd want to do. What do you mean by affordable? Is it second hand and someone is selling it cheap? Daily driving will suck balls.

A lightened flywheel will unlock more power from your engine thats lost in transit from your crank to the wheels. You'll feel the difference. I have one, and I dont find it a pain at all for daily driving. The car revs faster but the revs also drop alot faster too but not as bad as some people portray. Just rev it abit higher and you'll be fine. Takes some getting used too.

If I was you, I'd change the clutch out a year later when you do the turbo. Aswell as with the lightened flywheel. Save yourself some money. Is your clutch wearing out or something? I'd only get like a stage 2 max. It'd be more than enough for a d16 turbo plus with some extra guts for launches.
    Last edited by DakDak; 15-01-2012 at 03:10 PM.

Banned Array
    Car:
    R34 GTR Vspec
    my mate had bought one ages ago for his d16 build but it threw a rod before he got to install it. he upgraded to a b series turbo. its new but he has no use for it. 100 bux for the whole thing including fly wheel.. im not planning on getting massive gains. just a little mre kick out of the d. probably run low as boost anyway. what negative effects will such a clutch have??

Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi
    beware of ebay " stage 3" clutches

what brand is it

Banned Array
    Car:
    R34 GTR Vspec
    hmm it does look to be an ebay clutch. bahnhof is the brand. anyone heard of it or had any experience with it?

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    sounds like burn off

lol

Member Array
    Car:
    AccordCB7 Turbo
    If a product is classified under a specific 'stage' but has no numbers to back it up.. Do NOT buy it.
    Stages are for Need for Speed: Underground, not for the real world.

There shouldn't be any downside to an overkill Clutch, aside from a little loss of driveability (Easy driveability is for pansies anyway)
    A 'little' worn shouldn't warrant replacing, just how bad is it anyway?
    If you do decide to replace, and go with a clutch that will suit your future upgrades, atleast shop for a good brand.. And this doesn't always mean Exedy, because they're overpriced and aren't all that special.
    Keep shoppin'!
    It's not 4x4 status, think of it as "Winter Mode".