Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Ek civic 97

Talking No springs clamps need help

hey guys
    is there a safe way to get your standard springs of stock suspension without the use of spring clamps? i was thinking of undoing the top hat bolts before i remove it from its place .. is that a bad idea ?

cheers

Compressors are $30... don't risk a broken face.

And yes, undoing the top hat bolts = fling straight into your face and will break it (your face)
    KEEP IT VIET | KEEP IT JDM
    FaLL iN LoVe WheN YoU aRe ReAdY, NoT WhEN YoU ARe LOnEly

Member Array
    Car:
    G6E turbo
    coathanger wire will hold them while you undo the tophats,then cut off with sidecutters once removed

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    I have done this before. One person holding the shock while the other uses a compressor gun to remove the nuts.

Worked fine, but it wasn't safe to say the least lol.

Bought some compressors from SCA. Takes ages and scratched the springs a bit, but much safer.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK CIVIC
    If you are undoing the top mount while the entire strut is still in the car then thats fine, but you will still need spring compressors to get the new ones back on unless the new springs are shorter in free length compared to the shock open length.

That or hop in your mates car with all your struts, head down to a local suspension place and get them to swap them over for you. might charge 20 bucks

alot of cable ties

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Quote Originally Posted by senna View Post
    If you are undoing the top mount while the entire strut is still in the car then thats fine, but you will still need spring compressors to get the new ones back on unless the new springs are shorter in free length compared to the shock open length.

That or hop in your mates car with all your struts, head down to a local suspension place and get them to swap them over for you. might charge 20 bucks

Yeah for this I just put the shock on the ground standing upright and knelt with all my weight on the spring while my friend put the top back on. Managed to compress a rather long 10kg spring like this, pain in the ass though.

Member Array
    Car:
    Ek civic 97
    Quote Originally Posted by charliebrown View Post
    Compressors are $30... don't risk a broken face.

And yes, undoing the top hat bolts = fling straight into your face and will break it (your face)

is this with the strut out or still connected to the car?

Member Array
    Car:
    Ek civic 97
    Quote Originally Posted by YeahByuddy View Post
    coathanger wire will hold them while you undo the tophats,then cut off with sidecutters once removed
    then wont the spring expand once you cut them ?

Member Array
    Car:
    Ek civic 97
    Quote Originally Posted by senna View Post

yeah the springs i have now are 2 front lowered springs off a eg6 ... so it should fit alright .. just worried about removing the old springs ..

Member Array
    Car:
    Ek civic 97
    i can remove the struts and take em to a local suspension place .. but they wont do it for $20 .. unless you know a place that can ?

Newcomer Array
    Loosen the tops first then get a guy to lay the sussy on the ground aiming the strut tops as close as you can to the wall and let him step on the bottom of it, grab the allen key and slowly undo it until it pops off. Be careful though, only do this if desperate. Done this numerous times without a compressor.
    If uncle Jack helped you off an elephant, would you help uncle JACK OFF an elephant???

If I'm not back in 5 minutes..............just wait longer