Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic Type-R

AP1 Clutch Replacement Options

Hey S2k Owners, I'm due for a new clutch for my 2000's model AP1 and currently doing a bit of shopping around for options but could really use with some real world honest feedback.

I've got fairly bad clutch buzz (really bad on deceleration and when in 4th) and my clutch is slipping quite badly so I'm looking to have it changed.

I would like to maintain as OEM / soft feeling clutch as possible to keep it easy to drive for both myself and the other half, I don't intend on doing any track work but I wouldn't rule it out within 12 months or so as I get into modding it over the year.

I was thinking of going for an Exedy clutch with a new OEM flywheel, anybody have any suggestions on where the cheapest place to buy one from?

Get the Exedy Clutch made for s2000 replacements. It's just like OEM, but no clutch buzz.

It's called; EXEDY KHC06 OEM Replacement Clutch Kit
    Last edited by dlai5552; 20-01-2012 at 12:40 AM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic Type-R
    Is there any significant difference between the KHC06 and the HCK-7201 as offered by Exedy Australia?

The clutch disc diameter comes in at 2mm smaller on the KHC06 not sure if thats an issue or not?

dlai5552 have you had the KHC06 installed yourself? any feedback?

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1,DC2R,NA6
    Quote Originally Posted by beaugus View Post
    I was thinking of going for an Exedy clutch with a new OEM flywheel, anybody have any suggestions on where the cheapest place to buy one from?
    Northern clutch and brakes
    2/358 Arden Street, Kensington, VIC 3051
    (03) 9329 5255
    Send them an email and they usually respond within 2 hours. They quoted me $1000 even for the DC2R supplied and installed(inc. machining flywheel)

JDMyard

Imo, source the clutch yourself then find a workshop to have it installed for you.

Oh you're right, about the clutch disk diameter. And I think it would have been the HCK-7201 as it was bought in Australia. I have driven it (not my car) and after using heavy duty clutches for about 2 years, I really hate the feeling of it lol. But it is very easy to drive with, just like OEM of course.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda s2000
    go to jdm concept, they have the actual OEM clutch for the s2000 (fairly cheap too)

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic Type-R
    I've ordered that Exedy KHC06 clutch kit from the U.S as its extremely good value considering, shipping wasn't all that expensive either.

I've contacted a few places regarding fitment and apparently there are absolutely no differences between the USDM, AUDM, or any other internationally delivered S2K since they were all produced under the same roof in Japan and just exported to their respective countries so gearbox, clutch and clutch ancillaries should be identical irrespective of LHD or RHD.

Should hopefully arrive early Feb or sooner and I'll have it installed shortly thereafter and give my own feedback on it after fitting

I just need to source an OEM flywheel now and I'm good to go.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic Type-R
    Also forgot to mention that apparently the only difference between the two kits is their manufacturing location,

The KHC06 components are made in Japan whereas the HCK-7201 is made locally here in Australia as Exedy have their own setup here (which I had no idea about before today )

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    I would recommend getting a Lightweight flywheel instead of getting a OEM flywheel. The throttle response you gain from having one will be great and I don't think you would be looking at much more than about $600 brand new
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Quote Originally Posted by beaugus View Post
    Also forgot to mention that apparently the only difference between the two kits is their manufacturing location,

The KHC06 components are made in Japan whereas the HCK-7201 is made locally here in Australia as Exedy have their own setup here (which I had no idea about before today )
    and the 2mm difference in clutch disk.

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 s2000
    Northern brakes supplied and fitted an Exedy Sports Tuff heavy duty clutch for about $1250 for me a few months ago. That included fitting a brant new ACT prolite lightweight flywheel I supplied from the US I bought privately for $250. They're reluctant to fit a clutch kit you supply, but their price is good enough to not worry.

Member Array
    Car:
    1999 s2000
    Thats cheap.. Labour alone would be 600-700 bucks. Its like an 8 hour job.