Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    NSX52K

S2000 NA or SC??

Hey guys

Ive been wondering for a while the pros and cons between keeping the
    engine naturally aspirated or supercharging. Ive read heaps of information from
    the internet but still cannot put the pieces together.

The most i know is that NA engines last longer, SC give you more power, torque, etc
    but will wear out ur engine more and require a rebuild in the future.

Anyone with any information and knowledge please share it. Will be greatly appercaited =).

+ (pros)
    - (cons)

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 s2000
    This is a massively open question, search will give you the most answers.

Briefly:
    SC Pros:
    More power
    Same linear powerband as NA (not massive torque increases), usually picks up noticeably at 5000rpm+
    Stock engine can handle some of the SC kits fine (no need to rebuild)
    More power
    More power. Lol.

SC cons:
    $
    $
    $
    less reliability depending on how big the build gets.
    theres bolt on kits out there but most will need some form of engine management to get the most gains. ie $. The build will cost you more than just the cost of the kit.
    Should do brakes tyre and suspension mods to keep up with the power increase.

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    If you are looking it supercharging, I would recommend thinking about twin scroll turbo set-ups.

+ Better fuel economy (at cruising speeds/rpm) than with a supercharger or even n/a
    + With correct turbo sizing, you can have full torque by 2000rpm all the way to 6k+ & massive top end HP

- Will require fuel system & ECU upgrade
    - Initial outlay is a bit more than supercharging
    - Recommend lowering compression ratio for reliability

Check out Full Race (http://www.full-race.com/store/turbo...turbo-kit.html) for more details
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Full race kit will not work as it is not made for RHD. To the OP, there is a lot of info out there and like the guy above said, it is a massively open question, but to answer your question SC all the way!!

Pros: more power
    Cons: addiction to boost

Member Array
    Car:
    NSX52K
    so in terms of the engine lasting compared to NA, what would you guys say on average or scale how long does SC or even Turbo charged engine last? I know that SC or Turbo will decrease the lifespan of the engine but to what extent?

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    It all comes down to how you drive it and how you prepare the motor. If it is a stock motor (stock internals, stock compression) with even small boost levels & thrash it all day everyday, it will not last very long. If you strip the motor down, install low comp forged pistons, rods, good bearings etc, get the head set up with correct cams and all the rest of it, built by a reputable engine builder, it should last a long time (provided maintenance is kept up)
    Kermit EGK20A

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000
    Not just that but also the tuner. The number 1 thing when it comes to FI IMO.

Read what the boys on s2ki who actually have the FI setups have to say:

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/9234...can-they-hold/

Also, stock cams also seem to be the best to use over a/m.

I'd be more concerned with your drivetrain like diff upgrades or transmission in the near future, rather than ur stock engine.

Im planning on going turbo, will be getting all the bits n pieces throughout the year. And from what I've researched, so far IP's stage 2 kit and the Greddy kt (but who wants that), MASE (who is never contactable but sells one hell of a complete kit) are the RHD options out there. Aus2000 on this forum was lucky to get a lovefab kit, but after contacting the owner a few times, he doesn't seem to have a kit for RHD. I'm still to find out if full blown make a RHD kit, and if they do, I'll most prbably go with them.
    Commencing turbo build s2k Ap1!!!

Thread: http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/922032-s2kjns-build/

Quote Originally Posted by stndrd View Post
    It all comes down to how you drive it and how you prepare the motor. If it is a stock motor (stock internals, stock compression) with even small boost levels & thrash it all day everyday, it will not last very long. If you strip the motor down, install low comp forged pistons, rods, good bearings etc, get the head set up with correct cams and all the rest of it, built by a reputable engine builder, it should last a long time (provided maintenance is kept up)
    curious to know what you mean by not very long with stock internals / stock compression?

I agree with it comes down to how you drive it and how well you maintain it but there are many examples out there of guys running boost on stock motors reliably for an extended period of time.

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    From past experiences boosting na cars (mostly na silvia's and skylines), the owners of these vehicles get to a point where they think they can handle the power and either, start driving alot harder (constantly putting the engine on the limiter) or they think "wth, lets up the boost".

Yes a good tuner can over come a fair bit of the difficulties a high compression f/i engine present, but at the end of the day the owner is the weak link. Alot of these guys you have seen running long term f/i cars drive them like you would drive a toyota yaris, from a-b, not flat out everywhere you go. If you are going to go f/i, do it once and do it properly
    Last edited by stndrd; 23-01-2012 at 06:21 PM.
    Kermit EGK20A

S2Krazy Array
    ^ Unfortunately doing it once doing it right will cost you the better half of $12k.
    --------------------------------------
    PM's Turned Off

Prelude - Sold.
    S2000 - Sold.
    NSX - Sold.
    F355 - Coming...

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000
    Yep definitely not cheap, but I would hate to mess around and not be prepared for the worse!
    Commencing turbo build s2k Ap1!!!

Thread: http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/922032-s2kjns-build/

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    I am in the middle of corresponding with Full Race at the moment in regards to compatibility of their Pro Street kit with RHD drive cars and they have advised me that their Pro Street kit will fit on RHD models and clear brake master cylinder & booster. Their Forward Facing Twin Scroll Kit will most likely not suit RHD vehicles due to front pipe diameters & the direction you have to run it
    Kermit EGK20A