Member Array
    Car:
    inb4yursorryass

Exclamation Converting from Half sized Radiator to Full size on an EM/EK - Keeping AC??

Hi all,

I want to keep my A/C but need a full sized radiator.

Apart from the below parts and retro fitting the radiator bracket support what else will i need to do to retain EM/EK A/C & have a full sized radiator?

1) Relocate the AC Condensor to the front of the radiator subframe - weld or make custom brackets to hold the Condensor. - ARE THERE ANY EASIER OPTION HERE?

2) Get custom hoses/fittings for the AC IN/OUT pipes to the Condensor - ARE THERE ANY INTERCHANGEABLE PARTS FOR THIS or DO I HAVE TO GO CUSTOM?

3) Remove the OEM AC Fan and replace with a slim fan to the front of the AC Condensor - ANY Plug and Play Kits for this?

4) Re-sure the AC FAN and retro wire/fit this to the full size radiator together with the Radiator FAN. - OR COULD I USE THE DC2 FULL FAN SETS?

5) Retro fit bottom radiator support brackets - IS THERE ANY PARTS THAT I COULD USE FOR THIS - i.e. from another car or are they all the same bracket style?

6) Flush the entire cooling system and bleed again.

7) Regas the AC system.

Any other easier way in doing this? besides using the DC2 Condensor (more custom work involved)

Is it worth the time and money?

Has anyone done this conversion before - retaining AC on a full sized radiator

thanks guys.
    Last edited by IV73CI; 24-01-2012 at 02:05 PM.
    B to BFrank to K .... ive had it ......

Member Array
    Car:
    ES1 Turbo, EK1
    is their a reason for goin to full length???
    Car: 05' Civic Turbo Car: EK 97'
    Motor - D17 Motor - B20T
    Winton - 1:47 Winton - 1:46
    7th Gen Melbourne #1

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    x2.

Just get a thicker radiator and better thermo fans+shroud
    to see all of my build, checkout

Account Disabled Array
    We ran the ARC half length with no issues at all.

Member Array
    Car:
    inb4yursorryass
    Quote Originally Posted by Riced_Civic View Post
    is their a reason for goin to full length???
    Because of this issue i have: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...75#post3218775

Quote Originally Posted by trism View Post
    x2.

Just get a thicker radiator and better thermo fans+shroud
    i was thinking of getting a KOYO 53mm - should have better fins/cores than my current 42mm ebay radiator.

Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    We ran the ARC half length with no issues at all.
    yeh you told me .. still trying to save money / avoid buying a new rad as my radiator should be sweet.(but yet again dunno how good the fins/cores are)

Back to OP, any1 know how can i do this conversion without too much fckin round with custom hoses/brackets etc?

Member Array
    Car:
    inb4yursorryass
    anyone know if the EM1/EK radiator subframe has the same AC condensor mounting points compared to the DC2 radiator subframe?

in other words, could i just bolt up the dc2 condensor to the EM/EK radiator subframe? (mounting points/holes existing?)

Member Array
    Car:
    ES1 Turbo, EK1
    u can run a full length but then u will be getting rid of A/C, unless u can find a way to hook up the condenser behind or in front of the radiator either way u will need need new mounting brackets for the condenser.
    Car: 05' Civic Turbo Car: EK 97'
    Motor - D17 Motor - B20T
    Winton - 1:47 Winton - 1:46
    7th Gen Melbourne #1

Member Array
    Car:
    inb4yursorryass
    Quote Originally Posted by Riced_Civic View Post
    u can run a full length but then u will be getting rid of A/C, unless u can find a way to hook up the condenser behind or in front of the radiator either way u will need need new mounting brackets for the condenser.
    im not ditching the AC...as its my daily - with sydney crazy ass climate ..NOWAY :P

it seems that no one can confirm 100% if the mounting points are the same or not.

fans are not an issue as they can be retro fitted - oem or Slim type etc.

AC hoses will def be custom work.

but the most important thing is the condenser fitment.

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    damn, having an ac welder would be really sweet for this diy work.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Account Disabled Array
    Marv,

It will going to cost you more money then getting a decent half size radiator.

You will need to do some cutting to fit the dc2 front condensor into the EM1

Member Array
    Car:
    inb4yursorryass
    Quote Originally Posted by mocchi View Post
    damn, having an ac welder would be really sweet for this diy work.
    ikr ..would be a great DIY write up - i think i will go ahead with this ..and write it up yo!

Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    Marv,

It will going to cost you more money then getting a decent half size radiator.

You will need to do some cutting to fit the dc2 front condensor into the EM1
    yeh i know bro ...but the good thing is my helpful honda wrecker is willing to lend me the parts i need to retro fit it ..dc2 AC in/out hoses, condenser, brackets etc.

so before i buy anything like a new rad - im going to remove my front bar and see whats involved and see if i can make the oem AC hoses/condenser fit.

But seeing that the location points of the two cars AC canister - the length of the hoses will be the factor or main issue here.

OTHERWISE - i will relocate the EM/EK condenser to the front of the radiator rather than side by side with the rad.

imma dedicate one day for this and see how i go ....

id be definately taking pics and write up a DIY if this mofo fits