Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic

eg parts into a first gen?

Can't remember if i made a thread like this or not... buuuut:

1 - Would the hubs/ brakes from an eg fit onto a first gen without much work?

2 - Would an eg radiator fit into a first gen without much work also? or would I need to make custom brackets and such? (As said in other threads, I have a wrecked eg, but it has a pretty much brand new radiator, and my first gen needs a new radiator)

If anybody knows these, that would be most helpful
    Last edited by Drifter995; 25-01-2012 at 12:13 PM.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifter995 View Post
    Can't remember if i made a thread like this or not... buuuut:

1 - Would the hubs/ brakes from an eg fit onto a first gen without much work?

2 - Would an eg radiator fit into an eg without much work also? or would I need to make custom brackets and such? (As said in other threads, I have a wrecked eg, but it has a pretty much brand new radiator, and my first gen needs a new radiator)

If anybody knows these, that would be most helpful
    Clarification of what is a "gen 1" would be good but I'll assume you mean an ED. So ...

1. No. You want bigger brakes then fit DA9 units onto your ED. Not upright arms, just hubs and calipers.

2. Of course an EG radiator would fit into an EG, that's why its called an EG radiator. Do you mean an ED? Then the answer is you could make one fit but the EG radiator is half-size and the ED is fullsize. You would need to change the mounting points and make custom brackets for the top. The inlet/outlet points for the hoses might need some re-working too. Go for a DA9 radiator - its full size and dual core, plus easy to fit.

As you can see, lots of modification required.

custom bracket

Peter
    Still here. Still kickin'

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi
    Quote Originally Posted by he-tec View Post
    Ahhh, THAT 1st Gen! Wow, you're on your own there but as they say, with the right money anything is possible.

Of course the ED is 4th Gen. I should have remembered that!

Good luck,

Peter
    Still here. Still kickin'

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    edit: herp derp, meant eg rad into first gen..

and yeah, that kind of first gen xD
    I only ask because I have the parts, And thought about it. The rad especially as the rad in the first gen is leaking and pretty buggered.

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R>AH>EK>DC2
    Might wanna check your first gen, it may have sensors like on the AH's
    SPAMMAPS
    Carburettor|Nation

that mikey G guy is the biggest shit talker ive ever met..
    in the space of 15minutes he sold two sets of wheels. claims a guy under the username DNT-CRY bought them!

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    sensors? where?

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R>AH>EK>DC2
    On an AH on the bottom of the Radiator is a sensor that activates the fan on and off.

EG to my knowledge don't have these.

You'd probably need to wire in a switch.
    SPAMMAPS
    Carburettor|Nation

that mikey G guy is the biggest shit talker ive ever met..
    in the space of 15minutes he sold two sets of wheels. claims a guy under the username DNT-CRY bought them!

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    oh really? Yeah, it has a thermo fan switch.. I don't see why the eg wouldn't have one? but fair enough, that wouldn't be too bad to fix up in any case

'99 DC2R/'88 CRX Array
    Car:
    DC2R/CRX
    For the EB Civic: EN1 (Gen2 Civic) hubs bolt up and convert to 4x100 stud pattern. From there you can go to vented rotors with 4x100 stud pattern. Calipers can be adapted to suit using custom made brackets. I've seen Accord and Prelude rotors on EBs although you can't run the factory 13 inch rims The front struts are quite similar and can be fitted. Now here's the problem, you now have a car with 4x100 PCD on the front and 4x120 on the back, what do you do? EN1 rears with... 4x100 PCD.

So will the EGs fit? Yes as I've seen people run CRX vented disks on EBs - front and rear, but you need the EN starting point plus some fabrication skills.

The radiator isn't compatible. The best radiator in an EB is the 1500 CVCC motor radiatior out of... a 1500. It's slightly larger than the EB radiator and I ran one in my 130bhp EB/EN Frankenstein 130bhp motor (you young un's all think Franks were B20 - wrong - we were doing it in the 80s with EN 1335 "strokers" - up from 1170s and 1226s - and EB3 heads ).

While you are looking for EN brake parts, keep an eye out for the EN1 5 speed gearbox, it bolts straight up to an EB block as does the City turbo 5 speed (taller gears though).*

BTW - EB radiators run a thermo switch but it's just a sensor. If you pull the wioring loom from an EB you'll be amazed at how little there is

*I'm assuming your 4 door is a 1200 and not a 1500.
    '99 DC2R, '90 BMW E30 318is, '88 CRX

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    nope, it's a 1500 haha. So then, just need to find another 1500 radiator

And yeah, was planning on getting an ah gearbox, or en the syncro in second is pretty much gone ><

But yeah, I shall ask my source in hobart about en hubs.. 4x100 would be pretty lovely, wheels, wheels everywhere. No longer will I be limited due to stud pattern *punches the air*
    Think I'll also get a webber from the renaut 12 if i can find one, as the dude on 1stgencivic.com says

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    So, Just curious, Would the radiator not work due to different setup for thermo fan? or just too big/ wouldn't fit?
    If it was size, I'm thinking custom bracket wouldn't be too hard to make.. If it's thermo fan, that's a bigger problem...
    hmm.