Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I need a new alarm. What do you guys recommend?

Other than having a guard dog in my back seat or something else the spam crew will welcome me abourd with. What do you guys recommend for an aftermarket alarm in my em1?

Obviously there's the vipers but I've also seen a fancy looking one called an st-960 with a proximity remote and some other useless gimmics that would be fun to have

Also can anyone recommend a good installer based in Melbourne? I'm willing to travel if he's the cats pajamas of alarm installs

Member Array
    Car:
    Hondaless :(
    I have one of these
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...P-N-3305V.html
    which I bought from that website (they deliver internationally)
    It was fairly easy to install myself (though I am electronically inclined). The hardest part was removing my existing alarm because it was heatshrinked and taped into my dash loom. I also had an issue with the power door locks, because my cxi didn't come with power unlock from the factory, the alarm couldn't provide enough juice to run the motors (all it is designed to do is send a pulse down the existing lock/unlock wires, which isn't powerful enough to make the motors work if they aren't from the factory). This was remedied by a diagram on the12volt.com, just had to go to jaycar and get 2 relays and wire them in a certain way between the alarm and door motors.
    Go to the12volt.com and find the wiring schematics for your car, it tells you exactly which colour wire does what, and then you just match what the handbook tells you to do with the alarm harness, and bob's your uncle. From memory you only need wire strippers, screwdrivers and a multimeter. I guess I should add you should probably only do this if you are confident in what you are doing. Don't take my advice if you feel you don't want to mess with your car.

Professional installation can be quite expensive (at least in my experience). I emailed a couple of places in Brisbane when I was looking to get an alarm, and they wanted ~$600 (including parts) for even the most basic Viper alarm install. There really isn't much you can mess up unless you start cutting wires willy nilly.
    Good luck!
    b series vtec goes up to 11...

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    I know a guy who I think is great at installations. Does a lot of the multi-point detection alarms with remote start and GPS tracking, holiday mode etc. He does it professionally as a subcontractor for brand new cars, but also privately for cash on the side.

Lives eastern suburbs of Melbourne if you wanna know more. Prices aren't cheap but I assure you he won't do a cheap job like a few of those shops you'll see.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R, EG & EP3R
    go mongoose m80

never had a problem with it
    BARPPP

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    R32 Skyline
    I would say mongoose m80 as well. Always had them in my cars. Best alarm for the price.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK9 minus 8
    mongoose m80 $480 installed at some place near my house, good alarm

this mongoose m80 sounds like its the go. shame the remotes so ugly i guess function over form, unless were talking about wheel fitment hehe

Call complete options on westall road. I'm planning to get an alarm done there. Prices isn't cheap but i've heard nothing but good reviews about him.
    KEEP IT VIET | KEEP IT JDM
    FaLL iN LoVe WheN YoU aRe ReAdY, NoT WhEN YoU ARe LOnEly

what systems do they install? or is it byo alarm system for the install

They supply and fit mongoose alarms.

I think the basic keyless entry + alarm + immobiliser is 320 installed
    KEEP IT VIET | KEEP IT JDM
    FaLL iN LoVe WheN YoU aRe ReAdY, NoT WhEN YoU ARe LOnEly

Member Array
    Car:
    EK9 minus 8
    If it doesnt come with central locking also they charge extra for those motors?

Newcomer Array
    If your from Sydney, http://carboncarsystems.com.au/ << Daniel is the shit, wouldn't go anywhere else, called like 3 places before a friend recommended me, his prices are cheap as!! Well that was 2 years ago when he was mobile, dunno about now. Got my M80 from him
    If uncle Jack helped you off an elephant, would you help uncle JACK OFF an elephant???

If I'm not back in 5 minutes..............just wait longer