Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array

2.5" outlet on headers mated with 2.25" catback on b16?

Would this be bad in anyways in terms of performance? Reason i ask is my mate is selling 2.5" headers and another mate is selling a 2.25" catback for an ek4.

Thanks
    If uncle Jack helped you off an elephant, would you help uncle JACK OFF an elephant???

If I'm not back in 5 minutes..............just wait longer

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Not a good idea IMO. You don't want to bottle-neck your exhaust (IE go from larger to smaller). Always want a consistent or increasing ID.

Some people say you can put whatever size exhaust on whatever engine because there is no evidence of back-pressure issues, but IMO I still think the best size for a N/A D16 is 2" or 2.25" max. Most D and B series engines run a 2" header outlet anyway, as long as the cat and cat-back is the same size or a little bigger.

So if I were you I'd consider the 2.25" catback but not the header. Consider a 2" header (Ebay, seriously) and match that to a 2.25" high-flow cat converter, then put on the 2.25" catback.

Newcomer Array
    ok, thanks mate. Guess gotta look for new headers
    If uncle Jack helped you off an elephant, would you help uncle JACK OFF an elephant???

If I'm not back in 5 minutes..............just wait longer

i have tried put the stock civic gli exhaust (2" size?? ) on 2.5" header and i can felt the performance was really bad.
    To be honest my eg h22 got spanked by stupid kia because of that lol
    h2b all motor- RIP
    FN2 -RIP
    GTI- RIP
    A 45 AMG -RIP
    C63 C205

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    2.5 collector with 2.25 catback should be fine.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Quote Originally Posted by shepparton View Post
    i have tried put the stock civic gli exhaust (2" size?? ) on 2.5" header and i can felt the performance was really bad.
    To be honest my eg h22 got spanked by stupid kia because of that lol
    GLi (and all D's I think) are about 1.75" standard lol. Total crapola. 2" is great for D's.

Member Array
    Car:
    Dc2 + EG
    Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504 View Post
    Not a good idea IMO. You don't want to bottle-neck your exhaust (IE go from larger to smaller). Always want a consistent or increasing ID.

Some people say you can put whatever size exhaust on whatever engine because there is no evidence of back-pressure issues, but IMO I still think the best size for a N/A D16 is 2" or 2.25" max. Most D and B series engines run a 2" header outlet anyway, as long as the cat and cat-back is the same size or a little bigger.

So if I were you I'd consider the 2.25" catback but not the header. Consider a 2" header (Ebay, seriously) and match that to a 2.25" high-flow cat converter, then put on the 2.25" catback.
    You know a jdm dc2r runs a 2.5" collector to a 2.25inch~ catback right?
    And 90% of good jdm headers are 2.5" collector.

OP, it will be fine, your cat will act as a taper to the catback.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_foy View Post
    You know a jdm dc2r runs a 2.5" collector to a 2.25inch~ catback right?
    And 90% of good jdm headers are 2.5" collector.

OP, it will be fine, your cat will act as a taper to the catback.

So why do people upgrade their cat-back then? Because they want to lose power? lol

We're talking about a B16, not a B18CR.

Member Array
    Car:
    Dc2 + EG
    So why do people upgrade their cat-back then? Because they want to lose power? lol

We're talking about a B16, not a B18CR.
    Well aftermarket jdm systems are generally 60mm (2.36inches) so theres still a taper down.
    Fyi I run a 2.5" collector into a 60mm system and my b16 feels good, chrips 3rd gear easy enough.
    Headers are where alot of power is made, and a cat will be a long enough tapering surface to smooth the flow to 2.25".

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_foy View Post
    Well aftermarket jdm systems are generally 60mm (2.36inches) so theres still a taper down.
    Fyi I run a 2.5" collector into a 60mm system and my b16 feels good, chrips 3rd gear easy enough.
    Headers are where alot of power is made, and a cat will be a long enough tapering surface to smooth the flow to 2.25".
    You're not telling me anything I don't already know mate, this is just a matter of opinions and preferences. I have a jdm catback, I know 60mm is a common size etc etc.

But IMO going 2.5" down to 2.25" isnt ideal if you making your own setup. If it were me I'd want a 2.5" cat as that the most restrictive point in the exhaust, so why not taper after the cat rather than with it? If you're buying you own components just make it simple - equal or progressively larger ID.

And I seriously doubt your 2.5" header, cat and cat-back are making so much power in your b16 that it chirps into 3rd. Most likely it's to do with your front suspension setup + tyres.

I have a full head build with I/H/E on my b16a running healthy comp of 215/210/215/220 and I dont chirp 3rd at 9,000rpm. Toyo R1R 195/50/15. Bilstein coilovers 8kg front.

If its a cheap header sure go for it, but for me I'd be going same size or getting larger towards the back to prevent bottlenecking.

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    i agry re:tire aspect.

4-1 header good for b16a right? so buy it here
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...quot-collector

S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    Dc2 + EG
    You're not telling me anything I don't already know mate, this is just a matter of opinions and preferences. I have a jdm catback, I know 60mm is a common size etc etc.

But IMO going 2.5" down to 2.25" isnt ideal if you making your own setup. If it were me I'd want a 2.5" cat as that the most restrictive point in the exhaust, so why not taper after the cat rather than with it? If you're buying you own components just make it simple - equal or progressively larger ID.

And I seriously doubt your 2.5" header, cat and cat-back are making so much power in your b16 that it chirps into 3rd. Most likely it's to do with your front suspension setup + tyres.

I have a full head build with I/H/E on my b16a running healthy comp of 215/210/215/220 and I dont chirp 3rd at 9,000rpm. Toyo R1R 195/50/15. Bilstein coilovers 8kg front.

If its a cheap header sure go for it, but for me I'd be going same size or getting larger towards the back to prevent bottlenecking.
    Where do I or OP say anything about having a 2.25" cat?
    I personally run a 2.5" cat with a 60mm flange on the catback side, zero problems with it. If it was that detrimental to keep a consistant ID then im sure more jdm companies would, no?

B16a2+tb,im,headers,cat,exhaust running 205 50 15 rsr + mfactory coils(16/12) (in low 900kg eg), keeping in mind that this was on track (I barely drive the car on the street) so the tyres were well and truely up to temp, I do run a fair bit of camber for track though but its hardly huge. But hey what would I know, right?