Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello again

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic EK1

Hello again

Hi - long time reader, long time absentee. I'm back at OzHonda with my new old 2000 Ek1.

Looking for advice on maintaining an older car that isn't worth commercially servicing.

Cheers!

doktarfischer

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    read service manual.
    use google for service manual.

or

pm members here for quick backyard jobs
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic EK1
    thanks for the advice... I just had a service done and the mechanic came back with the following recommendations for next service:

Cam belt ($700)
    Rear brake shoes ($400)
    Rear drums machined ($150)
    Trailing arm bushings ($660)
    Lower engine mount replaced ($520)
    Rocket cover gasket ($150)

all up this is $2580 plus cost of next service, or half the value of the car. at the moment i'm having a look online at DIY for various things but have no experience atm. i'm considering replacing drums with discs rather than spend the money on new drums.

it will be a steep learning curve but thats where the fun is =)

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Quote Originally Posted by doktarfischer View Post
    thanks for the advice... I just had a service done and the mechanic came back with the following recommendations for next service:

Cam belt ($700) $150 from honda USA
    Rear brake shoes ($400) $$100? repco
    Rear drums machined ($150) $idk
    Trailing arm bushings ($660) $$100 shipped from USA
    Lower engine mount replaced ($520) $50 wreckers
    Rocket cover gasket ($150) abt $50 honda USA

all up this is $2580 plus cost of next service, or half the value of the car. at the moment i'm having a look online at DIY for various things but have no experience atm. i'm considering replacing drums with discs rather than spend the money on new drums.

it will be a steep learning curve but thats where the fun is =)
    swap to rear disc is abt $250 parts only.
    all prices above are parts only too.

ive done all above except timing belt, not very hard.
    pm me for more info or google on how to.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R

welcome abourd to ozhonda!!
    S P A M | W O R K S

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic EK1
    awesome.. that gives me some confidence

do any of these replacements require a mechanic to sign off? esp swapping to discs on rear

EDIT: Just had a look at some prices on www.hondapartsnow.com which seem quite decent - is this site trustworthy?
    Last edited by doktarfischer; 01-02-2012 at 08:02 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    depends on why you want a sign off.
    for documentation of selling car in future or just own assurance
    S P A M | W O R K S

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic EK1
    just for legal requirements if any

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    timing belt isn't hard.. It's just a major pain in the ass. Fiddly and small working space.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic EK1
    i found some info on this thread about converting from drums to discs. i've had a look on this website for some prices for parts. is this site well known/trusted?

also the list mentions you need EK1 trailing arms - does that mean the factory ones on my car are suitable and don't need to be replaced? same goes for handbrake line/prop valve?

EDIT: another thing when looking at parts, the rocker cover gasket only appears to be sold in a "gasket kit".. is this necessary or can i purchase the gasket by itself?
    Last edited by doktarfischer; 02-02-2012 at 08:29 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Quote Originally Posted by doktarfischer View Post
    i found some info on this thread about converting from drums to discs. i've had a look on this website for some prices for parts. is this site well known/trusted?

youre looking at USA website. only feasible option for you cost wise is wreckers/buying from FS thread.

also the list mentions you need EK1 trailing arms - does that mean the factory ones on my car are suitable and don't need to be replaced? same goes for handbrake line/prop valve?

handbrake lines needs to be replaced because drum are diff to discs. need to replace rear brake hose too.
    you can use your current trailing arm, but you need to replace the whole hub assembly (bolted by 4 torx bolts)
    again, cheaper to buy rear disc brakes from members here

EDIT: another thing when looking at parts, the rocker cover gasket only appears to be sold in a "gasket kit".. is this necessary or can i purchase the gasket by itself?

you can buy separately. either google for valve cover gasket part number or go to honda and ask for that gasket.
    that.
    S P A M | W O R K S

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    Go to honda or a parts place.. they'll hook you up. Honda will be the more expensive option, probably $80+ and the parts place anywhere between $20-70