Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned Array
    Car:
    R34 GTR Vspec

coilover spring rates

hey guys, found some really cheap coilovers. theyre drag coilovers. the front spring rate is 12kg and rear is 18. how would this handle as a daily driver. i understand it is fairly stiff, but would it be bearable? also, how would it handle on a track, or around corners?

also what makes the drag coilovers different? is it just the fact that they are only height adjustable and not damper? anything else?

thanks guys.
    Last edited by cihanvtec; 01-02-2012 at 02:02 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    18kg'mm is too hard for a daily

I wouldnt advise it

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    Lol. 18 and 12?

I ran 8 and 6 daily, and that was about as stiff as I'd go.

As for them being drag spec, its the way they are valved.

The fronts will have soft damper and stiff rebound, and the rears will have stiff damper and soft rebound.

This is so on launch the car doesn't lean backwards heaps, and it keeps the front wheels firm down for traction.

I wouldn't do it.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Banned Array
    Car:
    R34 GTR Vspec
    hmmm fair enough.. is it dangerous in anyway for daily driving/spirited driving? as in would it cause the car to slide out around corners because its so stiff?

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Yes it will cause you to lose contact with the road on uneven surfaces and dips which our roads are full of.

Also running a high rate rear spring in a light fwd will end up giving you head and back aches. Believe me Ive used them lol

Very unsafe for any public roads over 60km/h, even 8 & 6 can be dangerous on the touge due to uneven lumpy roads etc. race coilovers really are intended for track only use because race tracks are a lot smoother and are constructed in a way to allow safe fast driving, among other aspects. Even the tarmac mix they use is completely different

More specifically to your quiry the drag coilovers are designed for forward -> rear weight distribution which is completely different from circuit/street weight distribution

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    that would be quite an oversteery setup

add 32mm rsb for maximum drift spec fwd.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK CIVIC
    What these guys said ^^^^

Member Array
    Car:
    Dc2 + EG
    Quote Originally Posted by EKVTIR-T View Post
    18kg'mm is too hard for a daily

I wouldnt advise it

Personally I think it'd be bearable, pending person.
    I'm running 16/12 in my weekend car but I dailyed it for 3 weeks straight zero problems while my real daily was off the road. Damper quality will make a huge difference in ride quality.

In saying that I wouldn't run cheap suspension anyways, spend the extra bit and get the benefits of quality suspension all around.

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_foy View Post
    Personally I think it'd be bearable, pending person.
    I'm running 16/12 in my weekend car but I dailyed it for 3 weeks straight zero problems while my real daily was off the road. Damper quality will make a huge difference in ride quality.

In saying that I wouldn't run cheap suspension anyways, spend the extra bit and get the benefits of quality suspension all around.
    are you using an aftermarket rsb with them coilovers?

Member Array
    Car:
    Dc2 + EG
    Quote Originally Posted by u mad? View Post
    are you using an aftermarket rsb with them coilovers?
    Asr+dc2r rsb, and I have a complete hardrace bushing kit in the car.

Banned Array
    Car:
    R34 GTR Vspec
    installed the coilovers today and i must say, WOW!!! i absolutely love it! its not as hard as you expect! it feels nice and firm! very sporty and handles like its on rails! its goes into tripod mode when i really fang it around a corner . and gets a tiny bit of oversteer. but thats when im really pushing it. (all this driving was done off road mind you, didnt want to test it on the road after some guys on here told me it could be dangerous!)

i honestly have to say, compared to my mates bc br coils, it handles absolutely amazing. and yes it is a little bumpy, but very bareable. best 900 bux spent! id highly recommend!!!