Member Array
    Car:
    ek4

D16Y4 - bad fuel consumption and cold starts

hey guys.

So i've got an ek1 running a stock d16y4 with very minimal mods (only intake and headers) and its been giving me very bad fuel consumption ever since i bought it. Thought it was normal to get 400kms~ each tank but recently i've been reading about d16s getting 500km+. I was wondering where to start to fix this problem as it is my daily driver. I dont know if its related to the problem but my fuel gauge goes down very quickly and can get down to half-tank with about 150kms from filling up!

I read that replacing the fuel filter, air filter and thermostat was the way to go. Maybe replace the spark plugs and o2 sensor too? I'm not too sure of where to start?

My second problem is that on early morning, cold starts the engine would make a high pitch noise. Sometimes it would be for a second and other times it can go for longer. Mind you this is almost every cold start and its starting to get annoying so i want too fix it asap.

Please let me know what I should do to fix these problems up.

Henry.

Member Array
    Car:
    99 EK1
    Hey Mate,

How good or bad your fuel consumption is can depend on a lot of factors.
    One main one being your driving style and where you are driving. e.g. you'll use a lot more fuel driving suburban roads with traffic light, congestion, constant start stops than you will if you are cruising along semi rural roads where you are doing around 80km/h or even freeway driving where you aren't constantly accelerating.
    How long ago did your car have a service? Did you have the fuel filter replaced because as you said this can also affect your fuel consumption. Also replacing the O2 could be an option if replacing your fuel filter doesn't render you the results you'd expect.

With the cold starts, what kind of a high pitched noise is it? Does it sound electrical, mechanical? It could be a belt on your engine rubbing and gradually stops rubbing as your engine heats up.

Anyway hope this helps.

Andrew.

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Door EK GLi
    Thread already on this.. but as underoath thoroughly said.. it depends on many factors.

Member Array
    Car:
    ek4
    alright well i found myself a fuel filter. gonna install it next week, so we'll see how it goes. the sound im hearing is mechanical. im assuming, from researched info, that my fan belt is on its way out. can anybody help me with this?
    team grade A

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    R32 Skyline
    If you can post up a sound file that would help a lot.

bad fuel is fuel filter, i use to get 400kms too until i changed it now i get 560kms a tank.

Member Array
    Car:
    ek4
    changing fuel filter today and also replacing drive belt soon too. also got a video of a cold start. will post up soon.

Member Array
    Car:
    inb4yursorryass
    clean your O2 sensor,
    replace fuel filter
    buy fuel at a known servo 98ron
    replace spark plugs
    clean your air filter
    check for exhaust leaks.
    check and adjust throttle cable. (if its too high above 750rpm on idle then expect the consumption to be higher)
    change your style of driving and just granny shift..

if its still drinkin like a mofo do the below

get injectors cleaned
    reset ECU.
    B to BFrank to K .... ive had it ......

Member Array
    Car:
    ek4
    oem fuel filter went in today. filled up with 98ron and looking good. did 100kms just cruising around sydney and the needle dropped to under the full line. hoping that itll be the same efficiency for the second half of the tank too.
    team grade A