Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
    Well said Trism,they are all just oversized Aussiecars anyhow,all the same.The best racing is where there is a level playing field for all and thats what V8SC have achieved like it or not.Imagine if Honda entered.
    I'd like to see no more than 4 cars per manufacturer as a rule and at least a grid of 32.Also no manufacturer engines just the one unbranded V8 all built by V8SCs and leased out all identical hp.Then its all team set up and driver.
    What you're talking about is more or less the Tasman 5000 open wheeler formula of the 1970's when all the V8's were 5Ltr alloy V8's built by Repco (not absolutely sure but I believe they were based on the alloy engine from the Leyland P76). The difference being that the chassis design was still open to interpretation which still made for competitiveness between manufactures. If you take out all the "edge" between teams then you may as well only have one brand or type of car available to all.

And as far as Honda is concerned it could provide V8's, as it does so to Indy racing.

Banned Array
    Car:
    R34 GTR Vspec
    anyone know what car nissan will be using??

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by cihanvtec View Post
    Some sort of maxima i believe

What they should have is something like the R35 GTR shell with a V8 and...

*trollface* on the rear bumper..... Just for lols
    Last edited by Fredoops; 21-02-2012 at 10:24 PM.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    s2k, bb6
    Maxima
    僕の名前はTony です。

I need a new car....lol

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi
    Quote Originally Posted by trism View Post
    wont happen.

The engine has to be 5 litre v8 pushrod motor.

means nissan has to totally redesign an existing motor.
    Quote Originally Posted by cihanvtec View Post
    See further below in my reply.

Not correct Trism.

The Holden/FORD camps use an engine built specifically for racing. They utilise a NASCAR block and develop heads to suit. It's cheaper for them to do that as they can leverage off the US. Hence the pushrod internals. V8Supercars used this convenient fact to exclude Nissan (and virtually all Japanese/European manufacturers knowing that these manufacturers gave up pushrod engines years ago).

One of my biggest complaints (beside the fact its really a one-make series) is that there is very little on the race car that you can buy off the shelf at your local dealer.

The issue will be "parity". This has already been flagged in a couple of local motorsport publications. All V8 Supercar engines are tuned to produce (approx) 480Kw.

Why? Because Nissan is debuting the 5th Gen Altima in the US this year, and launching locally next year to replace the Maxima. This is the car they will be using in 2013.

They are going to use a production-based V8 engine using double overhead camshafts and 4 valves per cylinder. This has been noted in the announcements from Nissan.

If Nissan start winning the first thing FORD/Holden will do is complain about "parity". Nissan will continue to use the engine they develop but it will have restrictions applied to it to bring it back to the field for the sake of "close racing". In fact Skaife was quoted at the launch "They (Nissan) cannot dominate like they did with the Godzilla car. We want them to be competitive and challenging to win races, but they cannot dominate."

If the fans see Nissan sprint away the furore will be very loud; louder than the fuss the crowd made at Bathurst with Richards and Skaife. V8Supercars don't want that - they are putting all their eggs in the red, blue and white basket because without them they are shot!!

Peter
    Last edited by jdm_b16a; 22-02-2012 at 08:42 AM.
    Still here. Still kickin'

Member Array
    Car:
    2000 Integra R
    There won't be much Nissan,
    window frames,door frames,headlights,taillights,the rest will be lookalike composite of a 4 door family car on the same chassis and mechanicals as Ford and Holden and whoever else.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
    There won't be much Nissan,
    window frames,door frames,headlights,taillights,the rest will be lookalike composite of a 4 door family car on the same chassis and mechanicals as Ford and Holden and whoever else.
    Not all the same mechanicals. See my reply above.

Altima is a 4 door family saloon, hence it's choice by Nissan. They are entering purely as a marketing campaign to sell the new Altima here in 2013. They have admitted as much!

Peter

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi
    Nissan makes its presence felt at pre-season test

Just days after announcing its return to Australian touring car racing, Nissan began its campaign to win over V8 Supercars fans at the pre-season test at Sandown Raceway yesterday.

The manufacturer had a prominent display adjacent to Sandown’s main grandstand, showcasing the Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R that won the 1991 Sandown 500 in the hands of Mark Gibbs and Rohan Onslow, the 2012 Pedders Safety Car and selected road cars.

Nissan will enter V8 Supercars under the Car of the Future regulations from 2013 with an as yet unnamed model and engine package, believed to be an Altima with a 5.6L V8 engine, teaming with Kelly Racing who will be rebranded as the Nissan Motorsport factory team.

The Nissan-Kelly Racing news was the talking point of the pre-season test, which was the first chance for Rick and Todd Kelly, co-owners of Kelly Racing, to receive feedback from the fans following the announcement.

“I honestly didn't know what to expect coming to the track,” says Todd Kelly. 

“I was prepared for everything. I couldn't be more surprised and impressed with how the fans have been. 

“When we did autographs on the pit straight there were thousands of people out there and I did not get one negative comment then or throughout the day at anytime, so it's been an amazing response.”

According to a poll on V8X’s Facebook page, 61 percent of fans said they were happy with the Kelly Racing-Nissan partnership, 31 percent were against it, and eight percent were indifferent.

“It's the first day we've been around the fans and great supporters of V8 Supercars since the Nissan announcement,” says Rick Kelly. 

“It's amazing how positive the feedback is. Everybody is definitely re-energised and enthused about Nissan coming into the sport and the future of V8 Supercars.

“For us that's absolutely outstanding. Obviously for the planning of the Nissan announcement we were always concerned would react and we've been absolutely blown away with the positive feedback we've had from everyone. 

“I think it's definitely re-energised the category and I can't wait to roll out for next year.”

Peter

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Only a matter of time before the bogans start throwing VB stubbed at the nissans for being too Far ahead
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Yup! A new generation of bogans too.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    Good call Peter, i see that the engine was released on recently.

Heres what I read in an article

"the inclusion of a double overhead cam Nissan motor represents a change in emphasis for the class from technical parity to performance parity. According to COTF project leader Mark Skaife, the performance process that the V8 Supercars is currently working on will enable the incumbent manufacturers to join Nissan in running newer-technology engines. The current 5.0 litre Ford and Chevrolet motors used in the class are bespoke to V8 Supercars, with the blocks and cylinder heads made-to-order for the teams in the United States."

And it looks like theyre gonna limit them at somewhere between 600-650hp

This is great news in my opinion. It opens the door for ford to use the new Coyote engine thats in the FPVs.
    to see all of my build, checkout