Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving tips.

Driving tips.

Hey. Just wanted any tips you guys can give for drivign a DC2R.

I have had mine around 6 months but feel as though my driving is not doing it justice.

I guess the first problem I am having is keeping the car in vtec when changing gears. I have around a 5% success rate of keeping it in VTEC from 2nd to 3rd. I'm changing gears at around 8000 - 8200 RPM, I could probably do the change a bit faster but from seeing other people in vids etc it doesnt seem like I should have to be that fast.

Sometimes when changing, if I dont do it smoothly it feels like the engine kind of bounces a little and the revs really drop.

Any tips you guys have would be appreciated, either for the issue above or just general driving tips.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Shift at 8,500 and be fast about it. Push that clutch pedal hard and full. Accelerator pedal straight back on.

I hope you're only doing this on a track of some sort? On the roads, I wouldn't venture near 8500 (cop target/ why would you need that high revs, no more than 2nd gear). Your issue isn't related to VTEC, moreso just a driving style.

Member Array
    Car:
    Nonda Tiburon
    you seriously cant keep in vtec from 2-3?

how slow are you shifting?

srs
    ..OzHonda Spam Crew..
    ..We Welcome You Abourd!..

DC2R/DC5R Parts for SALE!

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    Quote Originally Posted by 1900-hustler View Post
    you seriously cant keep in vtec from 2-3?

how slow are you shifting?

srs
    this.

fukin shit driving or what lmao.

just keep practicing.

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Look besides all the nonsense the easiest way is to copy this guy in the dc2.

Watch when it shows the in cabin shot and the way he shifts. Its a fast snap just like bam bam..copy this and you'll be fine

Quote Originally Posted by EKVTIR-T View Post
    Look besides all the nonsense the easiest way is to copy this guy in the dc2.

Watch when it shows the in cabin shot and the way he shifts. Its a fast snap just like bam bam..copy this and you'll be fine

Im too scared ill hammer the syncros like that, even if the DC2R has double strength ones.
    EG

Member Array
    Car:
    Had a DC2 VTIR
    yeah thats seems like pretty harsh shifting

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Quote Originally Posted by infurNOS View Post
    Im too scared ill hammer the syncros like that, even if the DC2R has double strength ones.
    Better buy a Camry

We're talking about for the purpose of staying in vtec and for drag I assume,not 24-7 or going to Coles..

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Quote Originally Posted by EKVTIR-T View Post
    Better buy a Camry

We're talking about for the purpose of staying in vtec and for drag I assume,not 24-7 or going to Coles..

Ye seriously if you wanna have a race and insist on shifting slowing at 8,000rpm you deserve to lose your pink slip bish lol.

Drive it like it was meant to be driven or sell the car to somebody who has the balls to enjoy it.

The problem has been trying to find the lowest RPM that I can shift at and still remain in VTEC for third. It seems I just got into the habit of shifting at 8000 and the change would sometimes be fast enough to stay in VTEC but most of the time would kind of bounce out of VTEC.

I can just change at 8200-8500, I just thought it would be quicker overall to change at 8000 seeing as though it starts to lose power after this point. Correct me if I'm wrong but if its 141kW @ 7900rpm wouldn't it be optimal to change at around 7900RPM?

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAgent View Post
    The problem has been trying to find the lowest RPM that I can shift at and still remain in VTEC for third. It seems I just got into the habit of shifting at 8000 and the change would sometimes be fast enough to stay in VTEC but most of the time would kind of bounce out of VTEC.

I can just change at 8200-8500, I just thought it would be quicker overall to change at 8000 seeing as though it starts to lose power after this point. Correct me if I'm wrong but if its 141kW @ 7900rpm wouldn't it be optimal to change at around 7900RPM?
    no. your b18 has a peaky powerband.

shifting at 7900 rpm will cause you to drop out of your powerban when you get to the next gear. its not as if the power immediately drops off after 7900, its still making good power all the way up to 8500.

lmao