Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oil life?

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro & CRV

Wink Oil life?

Gday all,

Just had an interesting conversation.
    A workmate has been told by Mobil, that u don't need to change Mobil 1 oil, just change your filter instead.
    Another said he has been told the same about Castrol R.
    Given all our Honda's liking for quality lube, has anyone else heard anything similar?
    I know in my industry oil sampling and regular top ups are the norm, not regular changing.....
    But this is new for cars....
    Any thoughts?

Member Array
    Car:
    Lexus IS-F
    I'd like to see you change the filter without loosing oil...

My industry is the same, but jet oil is a million times better quality than car oil, and we use thousand plus liters in our tanks. The Honda engine only holds ~5L.

For what an oil test costs, 5 liters of redline or royal purple oil is cheaper. Significantly.
    Honda Accord Euro CU2 / Lexus IS-F

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Well in the States the long service engine oils last something like 15,000 miles, or 24,000 km... so yeah, probably dont need to change....

But the filter will choke ya.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    I've heard you drain the oil, change the filter, then put it back in.. sounds bizarre to me, because you may as well change the oil while you're at it..
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro Lux MY12
    i have seen they resuse the same oil at a mechanic shop especially when they are returning customers and they know the oil they filled up last will be mobil 1 - they always use new oil trays when they refill the oil... i find this odd but have been told by the mechanic doing the service that its pretty normal practice in new cars as the oil is hardly burnt :\

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Just change it it's easy and cheap lol

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    ive been told the same about mobile one by my partners father who worked for mobile 1 that u can resuse the oil. however for piece of mind and the $90 it cost id prefer to put fresh oil and filter in after 10thou

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by cris View Post
    ive been told the same about mobile one by my partners father who worked for mobile 1 that u can resuse the oil. however for piece of mind and the $90 it cost id prefer to put fresh oil and filter in after 10thou
    The weakest link is the filter I was told, so If there are high capacity filters avail then you probably wont need to change the oil for 15-25k km's.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    inb4yursorryass
    Just read and follow what the honda service manual says regarding vehicle servicing.
    B to BFrank to K .... ive had it ......

After the 1 year warranty finished, I used Mobil 1 in my 200SX (turbo) for 13 years and did 120,000 kms in that period. I changed the Oil and filter once every year. That’s all I did. The car was driven spiritedly to say the least.
    I never had to top up the engine or any other fluids. The engine was like new to drive as it was when the car was new. There were no oil leaks, or oil consumption. What more can I say?
    Doing the same with the CU2 and close to 10,0000 miles on the last fill. You also get a smoother revving engine with Mobil 1.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord Euro
    what oil to use for a 2003 euro?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogchaser View Post
    Gday all,

Just had an interesting conversation.
    A workmate has been told by Mobil, that u don't need to change Mobil 1 oil, just change your filter instead.
    Another said he has been told the same about Castrol R.
    Given all our Honda's liking for quality lube, has anyone else heard anything similar?
    I know in my industry oil sampling and regular top ups are the norm, not regular changing.....
    But this is new for cars....
    Any thoughts?
    I wouldn't put myself out as an expert but would be a little sceptical. If I followed through with this I would certainly take regular oil tests to ensure my oil wasn't deteriorating and building up contaminants. Have you considered oil analysis?