Member Array
    Car:
    1990 Civic ED6

Suspension top cap alignment issue. Can I fix it or go back to shop?

Hey guys. So i took my old suspension and 4 new struts to a shop to get the springs transplanted over. 2 of them came back 100% fine and aligned. One of them is slightly off. Like the 2 bolts that go into the car body just need to be twisted 1 cm or so and then they slot in and can be done up. (Is it bad to twist the spring 1cm? It doesnt feel like im forcing anything.) But one of them its miss aligned by like 3-5cm's and can defiantly not be twisted to get it in.

Are there any tips to rotate it myself, or should i take it back to the shop and get them to compress the spring, take the top cap off and rotate it a little bit?

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, hard to describe the issue. If it makes it easier I will put up pictures tomorrow.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    makes sense. No it wont hurt the spring. what you should be able to do is put the top in, and bolt it up, then twist the bottom by hand till it lines up.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    1990 Civic ED6
    Quote Originally Posted by trism View Post
    makes sense. No it wont hurt the spring. what you should be able to do is put the top in, and bolt it up, then twist the bottom by hand till it lines up.
    Yer I feel i can do this with the one that is only a CM or so off. But I tried doing it with the one which is a fair bit off. (bolted it in to the car and tried to twist it across, but after a few CM's of twist it starts to get extremely hard. I don't want to force it to much. The bottom of the spring is locked in so it wont move. And the top cap is rubber on the inside, so no chance of rotating the cap while it is assembled (even with WD40, tried) so the only way is to twist it. But the gap is just to big to twist it as far as I need to.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    you just need to compresses the springs a bit, get the load off the cap
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    1cm should be ok.

Just twist it if you can,it will correct itself over time being only 1cm