Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What tyres?

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000

What tyres?

Hi folks, looking to take advantage of your experience.

I've had my S2000 about 9 months now, & after 6,000Km I am still getting as much pleasure from it, as I did on my first drive.

However although the tyres are little worn, I am getting a little worried about their age. The rears were only bought, & fitted on the car a couple of years ago, but when I looked I found they are over 5 years old. The fronts are over a year older, & approaching 7 years old. This really is getting a bit beyond their use by date, & I am looking to replace them.

I have Bridgestone Potenza S-02 on both ends, & am happy with them in the dry. I have a little less confidence in them in the wet, but that could be a factor of their age. I mostly use the car as a fun car, often on twisty back roads, & do not avoid the wet. I have no plan for track days with it.

I want good road tyres, with driving performance more important than wear rate.

What tyres have all of you been using for normal fast road driving, & would you recommend them? My recent experience, [10 years] is limited, as I have been running classic sports cars, with 13 & 15 inch wheels, for which top performance tyres are not available.

Member Array
    Car:
    FD1-RR 2.7
    Hasbeen I drive 50-60K every year all over the country and until recently had no idea that low wear rating tyres could be some much FUN !! I threw on some Federal RS-R's after not being able to source some Khumo Ku-36's that a few mates run on there track cars. Now the RS-R's only have a 140 wear rating and I fully expected them to be shagged after 15-20K. I've now done 28K and 3 trackdays and they still have life in em. I paid $600 for 4 of these fitted (205/50/16). In the wet grip is still awesome and its really only standing puddles that can be an issue as they dont have big wide grooves. They are the best bang for ya buck Tyre on the market !!!

Bridgestone RE02

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasbeen View Post
    I have Bridgestone Potenza S-02 on both ends, & am happy with them in the dry. I have a little less confidence in them in the wet,
    That pretty much describes the S2000 S02s that the car came with.

Dunlop z1 ,,, I have these ,, on some rpf1 ,, quiet and sticky , makes the bridgestone adrenaline look like cheap import tyre
    Pin It To Win It

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 s2000
    Agreed on Dunlop Z1 Star Specs for grip, but treadwear isn't the greatest. Perfect for a weekend car

I've alway recommended, the Z1's. But lately I've taken more interest to kumho Ku31's. They are a symmetrical tyre (good for switching on camber wear), really cheap, grippy and available within Aus unlike the Z1's which are about $300 more to import.
    Although Z1's are a much better for performing on the track, but Ku31's will do more than enough if you aren't considering track use.

Member Array
    Car:
    FD1-RR 2.7
    If you want one of the best road tyres then consider the Yokohama Advan Neo AD08, locally we are screwed big time on pricing and recently US companies stopped shipping them but you can still get them out of the UK. expect to pay around $300 in freight. I'l be ordering some of these later this year. They're an interesting tyre in they have 8mm of tread depth and wear rating of 180.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motors...eova-ad08-tyre

Quote Originally Posted by Dart View Post
    Dunlop z1 ,,, I have these ,, on some rpf1 ,, quiet and sticky , makes the bridgestone adrenaline look like cheap import tyre
    You can't compare Z1 Stars to RE001/002... They're same class as AD08s, RE11s and according to test, beat most of them too lolz
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Quote Originally Posted by DreadAngel View Post
    You can't compare Z1 Stars to RE001/002... They're same class as AD08s, RE11s and according to test, beat most of them too lolz
    They're like the grippiest street tyres, but the wear out quicker then the more expensive ones like the potenzas.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2K
    Quote Originally Posted by dlai5552 View Post
    They're like the grippiest street tyres, but the wear out quicker then the more expensive ones like the potenzas.
    Not sure about that, Ive done about 15,000km and they are still abit off the wear indicator....and I dont hang around.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S2000
    Go to tirerack.com
    I got rims and tires delivered for 1300!
    My tires are Kuhmo Ecsta Ku39's and for the price they are awesome.
    S2000 AP1, Civic SI FN1 , CBR1000RR SC59, CR250, ST90, CT70