Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buying/owning a car in Australia

Hi guys,
    I'm from England, and I'm coming to Australia for 2 years in April, and I'm tempted to get myself a 4G Civic while I'm there, as I own and have owned a fair few here in the UK, and think they're a great little motor. But I just have a couple of Q's.

- What are the rough prices of a 4G Civic?
    - Do I need to be aware of any rules, regulations, tests etc?
    - Do any rules and regulations differ from state to state?
    - If I buy one, do I need to get anything else? (like road tax which we have here)
    - What are insurance costs like?

Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

Member Array
    Car:
    inb4yursorryass
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc_EE9 View Post

- What are the rough prices of a 4G Civic? = 4th Gens are EK civic 96-00
    Start from 3k-10k depending on conditions, klms, mods etc

- Do I need to be aware of any rules, regulations, tests etc? = depends on which state your planning to stay at. Read the respected gov department of transport and read the road rules & regultions.

- Do any rules and regulations differ from state to state? = Yes

- If I buy one, do I need to get anything else? (like road tax which we have here) = stamp duty + tax + registration + compulsary greenslip + number plate charge all available in 6months or 1yr choices.

- What are insurance costs like? = depends on the insurer, age, no claim bonus rating, type of vehicle, etc etc. anywhere from 800-3000 even..

If in doubt go to www.australia.gov.au

Everything u need to knw is all there bud.
    See above after = blah blah blah

Lol
    B to BFrank to K .... ive had it ......

Thanks for that, I'll have a good read later tonight. But I think it's going to work out quite expensive.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    Quote Originally Posted by IV73CI View Post
    See above after = blah blah blah

Lol
    No. A 4th Gen is the ed/ef

Marc, what states are you thinking of moving to? If you haven't decided, but have narrowed it down to a couple, let us know, that way we can give you some more accurate advice.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Quote Originally Posted by trism View Post
    No. A 4th Gen is the ed/ef

Marc, what states are you thinking of moving to? If you haven't decided, but have narrowed it down to a couple, let us know, that way we can give you some more accurate advice.
    yeah, this.

give us more information on where you want to be and we'll give you more accurate information.

Member Array
    Car:
    inb4yursorryass
    Ed/ef??

So just need to get my head round this..

Arent the 1st gen civics are the mr bean lookalike car? Then follows ed/ef them eg them ek?
    B to BFrank to K .... ive had it ......

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    Quote Originally Posted by IV73CI View Post
    Ed/ef??

So just need to get my head round this..

Arent the 1st gen civics are the mr bean lookalike car? Then follows ed/ef them eg them ek?
    1st 2nd gen are the 'mr bean' civics.

3rd gen were the shuttles/crx's and what not

4th gen ED/EF

5th EK EG EJ etc lower end models like the EK1

6th higher end models of the 5th gens (so ek4 em1 etc)

7th was when it started going down hill with the ES/EU etc (besides the EP)

8th FD's FNR2's etc etc
    JDM D15B - you wouldn't understand

No K-SWAP ? No worries - Unfriend

FYI 4G also had the Mk2 CRX, and 1.4/4WD Shuttles too.

I'll be in Western to start (Perth) for 6 months, then to Vic (Melbourne) for 6 months-ish, then to NSW/Queens/Cairns. i honestly think it will cost too much. ive looked about and can hire a car for a couple of dollars a day if i want to drive the Great Ocean Road, or from Melb to Sydney to Brisbane

FYI 4G also had the Mk2 CRX, and 1.4/4WD Shuttles too.

I'll be in Western to start (Perth) for 6 months, then to Vic (Melbourne) for 6 months-ish, then to NSW/Queens/Cairns. i honestly think it will cost too much. ive looked about and can hire a car for a couple of dollars a day if i want to drive the Great Ocean Road, or from Melb to Sydney to Brisbane
    This is going to be a big headache transferring the registration from state to state as you move along.

do you have any family address that you can register the car @ for the duration of your stay?

yeh exactly lol.

yeh I have a few mates (Australians) in Perth, and a real good mate in Melbourne. being a "traveller" my budget is limited you see

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    You don't need to keep transfering the rego.

If you're starting in Perth, all you need to do is make sure there is an address at perth where you first get the car under your name.

From then on, when you get the renewal, get whoever your living with in Perth to send the letter to you (with sticker inside) and pay for it and stick it on and you're done.

It's good that you're starting in Perth as Perth doesn't have any pink slips or blue slips or green slips or anything like that. No safety inspections, just a one off inspection and that's it. From there on, all you do is pay for the rego in the letter you get which will have a new rego sticker attached to it and you don't have to hassle with transfering rego everywhere you go and at the same time will be saving an average of $600 - $700 as rego in Perth is the cheapest in all of Australia and most convenient.
    JDM D15B - you wouldn't understand

No K-SWAP ? No worries - Unfriend

yeh exactly lol.

yeh I have a few mates (Australians) in Perth, and a real good mate in Melbourne. being a "traveller" my budget is limited you see
    I'm not sure of the rules & regulations over in western Australia, bit I'm fairly familiar with Victorian laws as I grew up there.

Hi guys,
    I'm from England, and I'm coming to Australia for 2 years in April, and I'm tempted to get myself a 4G Civic while I'm there, as I own and have owned a fair few here in the UK, and think they're a great little motor. But I just have a couple of Q's.

- What are the rough prices of a 4G Civic?
    - Do I need to be aware of any rules, regulations, tests etc?
    - Do any rules and regulations differ from state to state?
    - If I buy one, do I need to get anything else? (like road tax which we have here)
    - What are insurance costs like?

Thanks in advance.
    ed/ef civics will range from $500 - $8000 so pick a middle figure of 3-4k and you will have yourself a fairly reliable nice example.
    Rules & regulations will differ from state to state. As I'm a formaer victorian, I will give you an example for registering a vehicle in victoria. Try not to register in NSW bcos they will rip you off here.

I suggest you buy a vehicle with roadworthy cert.(RWC) & plates ready to go, all you have to do is transfer the vehicle to your name and the transfer the registration also. cost you 30 - 40 bux

You can buy a vehicle as is ( no plates or RWC) you must obtain a RWC(minimum $300) and register the vehicle(Normal costs in Vic is $641.50 ($650ish) per year.)

Registering the car under your mates name will be easiest, don't know how it goes with outsiders.

3rd party (one way) insurance will be minimum 350bux.

not much more. Everything is pretty easy if you do it the smart way.