Member Array
    Car:
    ..S2000..

Spoon Chip??!! YES/NO??

hey fellas... i was on ebay.. theres an ad for Spoon Chip.. it says it will just remap the air fuel ratio and advance time.. it works out to only $50... and say its 7-20hp gain.. and also move the redline up to 8200rpm.. im thinking of gettin it but not sure.. any one got opinions??
    ..VTEC YO!..

pure N/A all the way

Array
    Car:
    08 Red CU2 Euro
    No, no, no! This is a waste of $50.
    TODA Performance Australia Pty Ltd
    TODA Racing - FIGHTEX - MFactory - HALTECH - EXEDY
    Race engines, Dyno tuning, Licenced workshop, Parts.
    P:0401869524 email: toda@todaracing.com.au

Member Array
    Car:
    DC4
    Perhaps...it's not a REAL Spoon chip? And hence a generic Ebay product which has no quality control or aftermarket support whatsoever and has the capability to damage your car?

Just a thought mate.

EDIT: What Adrian said. lol...the knowledged man hath spoken.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    All the spoon chips, mugen chips......... are fake

they only make standalone ecu, not just a chip

and $50 for up to 20hp gain, then my car will have 1000ps right now, anyway those real ecu are made for 100 octane

Correct me if i'm wrong

Member Array
    Car:
    a bicycle lol
    wats the difference with standalone ecu and just a chip?

I always had the impression that spoon or mugen computers are just remapped versions of the factory ecu to suit their mods? Is this true?

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    hhahaha. alot of chips sold on ebay are stock chips. claiming to be Spoon or Mugen or some other Hi spec spank chip

chips are a waste of time, as they are pre-burnt and usually lack functionality of better ECUs. You want something tuned for YOUR motor, and YOUR fuel. Jap chips are usually set at 100ron and will ping on most aussie motors, and even then they arent optomised for your mods.
    ECU is the one area you should never skimp on.

Member Array
    Car:
    2CD and 3DG
    ive looked at it too and if u read someof the buyers feedback its pretty bad and the ones dat are good seems to fake so yerr no for sures on my side

Member Array
    Car:
    ..S2000..
    chaiight thanks fellas.. save me my dosh lol
    ..VTEC YO!..

pure N/A all the way

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DC2 & DC4
    i tried an ebay chip in my LS for a bit.. (got it free with some other parts i bought) and heres a list of pro's and cons i found with using it:

Pros:

-more responsive (throttle response)
    -noticable increase in pulling power between 4-7k
    -idle'd at 1200rpm when a/c was running
    -much better fuel economy (i was surprised at this too! maybe just because it takes advantage of the premium ULP)

Cons:

-as engine is warming up, it would have terrible flat spots and was very sluggish
    -would often get check engine light (o2 sensor, never get engine light with stock ecu)
    -you need to use premium unleaded so it doesn't ping
    -8000rpm rev limit, when engine can only safely go to 7000. occasionally driving hard thru twisty roads, it wasn't hard to accidentally let it go a little above 7k in 2nd halfway thru a sharp corner etc

so yeah, i put my old ecu back in again and am happier with it now (car is totally 100% stock again) just that with the chip its sluggish when warming up, and that it keeps throwing o2 sensor codes indicates its been pretty poorly tuned

put that 50 bucks towards something else i reckon! (or you can buy this chip off me for 50 bucks lol)