Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Civic Sport FD2

Head unit compatibilty with active sub.

Hey guys, im purchasing my first setup of audio items for my first car and have no idea how the compatibility of these items work, specifically with the output spec side. So i am in need of some help and answers to a few questions would be really useful.

I have purchased an active subwoofer which has an inbuilt amplifier, and now i am looking at a Sony XAV-70BT head unit which i am interested in and want to confirm whether they are compatible with each other before i make the purchase. The specs of both items are bellow.

Specs of the head unit :

Connection Box

Audio Video Output 1 (rear)

Ampilifier

S-MOSFET Output Power 52W x 4
    Sub Out Yes
    EQ7 7-Band Equalizer

Specs of the Active subwoofer:

•Maximum output power: 180W(90Wx2)
    •RMS power: 120W(60Wx2)
    •External Bass Remote Control
    •Output Impedance: 2Ohm+2Ohm
    •Frequency: 30~100Hz
    •S/N(A): 91dB
    •Maximum Current Consumption: 12A
    •Sensitivity (Distortion level 1%): RCA input 82mV, Speaker input 0.8V
    •Voltage: 14.4V (10V~16V)

I also would like to use my stock speakers for the setup. And continue to use the factory auxiliary input in my 07 FD2, and retain the functionality of my steering wheel mounted controls. Will there be any issues with any of those things ?

Thanks for any input in advance.
    If my post was useful, please give a Good Post Quality (PQ) Point

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    it has an inbuilt amp? yes. it'll work. Your headunit only needs 1pre-out (a left and right channel of rca outputs) to power it...
    You'll need a power wire, a remote wire, a ground wire, and rca's.. with that, you connect the power to your battery straight up, with a fuse as close to the battery as possible. the ground goes to the nearest bolt or something you can, which has good contact with the body (say like, a seat bolt or something, put the ground terminal thingo on the body side.. but make sure to file back any paint on the body (where the terminal will touch it) so it has good contact.
    Then the remote wire and rca's, run them up to the headunit, the remote wire will connect straight to a wire in the back of your headunits loom. should be blue with white stripe, or just blue.. either or.. should have 'remote' on it either way.. and rca's, just plug into your headunits back.

If you aren't confident in doing it yourself, take it to a local car audio store, and get them to install it and tune it for you, for best results.

Also, you can use the factory speakers no problem. you shouldn't have any issues as long as you like how they sound.

Cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic Sport FD2
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifter995 View Post
    it has an inbuilt amp? yes. it'll work. Your headunit only needs 1pre-out (a left and right channel of rca outputs) to power it...
    You'll need a power wire, a remote wire, a ground wire, and rca's.. with that, you connect the power to your battery straight up, with a fuse as close to the battery as possible. the ground goes to the nearest bolt or something you can, which has good contact with the body (say like, a seat bolt or something, put the ground terminal thingo on the body side.. but make sure to file back any paint on the body (where the terminal will touch it) so it has good contact.
    Then the remote wire and rca's, run them up to the headunit, the remote wire will connect straight to a wire in the back of your headunits loom. should be blue with white stripe, or just blue.. either or.. should have 'remote' on it either way.. and rca's, just plug into your headunits back.

If you aren't confident in doing it yourself, take it to a local car audio store, and get them to install it and tune it for you, for best results.

Also, you can use the factory speakers no problem. you shouldn't have any issues as long as you like how they sound.

Cheers
    Thanks for that it really helped, much appreciated
    If my post was useful, please give a Good Post Quality (PQ) Point

Member Array
    Car:
    inb4yursorryass
    Drift is right.

further to add to this,

Make sure that you hook up the AMP L/R RCA's to the SONY HU - Either REAR or SUB OUT RCA's. (this will depend if your HU has 3 levels of RCA out. FRONT, REAR, SUB.)

Always connect AMPS/SUB Wooofaaa to SUB PRE-OUTS.
    B to BFrank to K .... ive had it ......

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by IV73CI View Post
    Drift is right.

further to add to this,

Make sure that you hook up the AMP L/R RCA's to the SONY HU - Either REAR or SUB OUT RCA's. (this will depend if your HU has 3 levels of RCA out. FRONT, REAR, SUB.)

Always connect AMPS/SUB Wooofaaa to SUB PRE-OUTS.
    ah true, didn't think about whether it'd have three pre-outs or not.. if my googling is correct, it has 3.. so yeah, connect the rcas to the sub out

Member Array
    Car:
    inb4yursorryass
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifter995 View Post
    ah true, didn't think about whether it'd have three pre-outs or not.. if my googling is correct, it has 3.. so yeah, connect the rcas to the sub out
    And most of the time..

HU Sub pre-outs are generally single RCAs. Which means if ur amp has L/R for the inputs then you will need to buy a Y splitter rca to get both channels to work on the amp.. Even if your amp is a monoblock...
    B to BFrank to K .... ive had it ......

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    Quote Originally Posted by IV73CI View Post
    And most of the time..

HU Sub pre-outs are generally single RCAs. Which means if ur amp has L/R for the inputs then you will need to buy a Y splitter rca to get both channels to work on the amp.. Even if your amp is a monoblock...
    What? most decent aftermarket Hu have 2 channel sub out(non fader), only a couple i seen that dont(mostly AV ones).....even if the hu only has one output when you are only running 1 channel(1 sub) you only need 1 input on the amp, generally the white(left ch) input. No need for a y splitter.....

I currently only have 1 rca plugged in for my sub and plugging the second rca in does nothing as it only requires a single ch input.
    "I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." - Ayrton Senna

Quote Originally Posted by TbM View Post
    What? most decent aftermarket Hu have 2 channel sub out(non fader), only a couple i seen that dont(mostly AV ones).....even if the hu only has one output when you are only running 1 channel(1 sub) you only need 1 input on the amp, generally the white(left ch) input. No need for a y splitter.....

I currently only have 1 rca plugged in for my sub and plugging the second rca in does nothing as it only requires a single ch input.

this applies to most audio equipment, weather it be home or automotive.

L channel is used if there is only 1 input.

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by Bludger View Post

this applies to most audio equipment, weather it be home or automotive.

L channel is used if there is only 1 input.
    The more you know. This explains the old tv I had and some of the old equipment I had with only white I think it was audio jacks

Member Array
    Car:
    SEX 24/7

You statement here is half right champ.

"MOST" CD/MP3 HU's have L/R For sub-preouts and others shows 1 for SUB PREOUTS. - most likely these units are the high end units (DB Competition series etc) without the output speaker wires - ALL RCA's. FRONT - HIGH/MID/LOW | REAR - HIGH/MID/LOW | SUB - LOW.

DVD Incar entertainment units have only 1 x RCA for SUB-PRE OUTS.

So from what IV73CI is saying is also correct.

I used to work for Autobarn / Harvey Norman on the gcoast as an Installer for 5yrs.

I know the OP is about incar HU's but since the topic was brought up about Incar and Home sub pre-outs being the same is not correct. - just to prove a point

FYI - Here is an example for a YAMAHA Home Receiver for Bludgers quote regarding Home systems etc - L or R RCA can be used - Only 1 RCA though not BOTH for 1 output.

Last edited by XB-16-AX; 12-03-2012 at 11:32 AM.
    ------------------------------------------------
    EGK20A - CIVIC Sleeper stylez

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    Quote Originally Posted by XB-16-AX View Post
    You statement here is half right champ.

"MOST" CD/MP3 HU's have L/R For sub-preouts and others shows 1 for SUB PREOUTS. - most likely these units are the high end units (DB Competition series etc) without the output speaker wires - ALL RCA's. FRONT - HIGH/MID/LOW | REAR - HIGH/MID/LOW | SUB - LOW.

DVD Incar entertainment units have only 1 x RCA for SUB-PRE OUTS.

So from what IV73CI is saying is also correct.

I used to work for Autobarn / Harvey Norman on the gcoast as an Installer for 5yrs.

FYI - Here is an example for a YAMAHA Home Receiver for Bludgers quote regarding Home systems etc - L or R RCA can be used - Only 1 RCA though not BOTH for 1 output.

I dont think you read my statment mate, read the first line again.
    "most decent aftermarket Hu have 2 channel sub out(non fader), only a couple i seen that dont(mostly AV ones)"
    If you notice i did say its av ones that ive seen with 1 channel, as a supposed installer you should know there are far more cd/mp3 units then AV ones so my statement is 100% correct.

I never said they didnt exist just that there are many more cd/mp3 units around than AV. AV means Audio/Visual unit if you dont know, thought id explain that to you cause you dont seem to know much about car audio.

If you dont think there are more cd/mp3 units then AV consider the fact that AV has only started coming in the last few years where as cd/mp3 has been around for a much longer time, common sense would dictate that many more cd/mp3 have been sold so they are in the majority.

IV73CI was not correct, he said you need to run 2 RCA's to the amp requiring a single channel soruce, if you were an installer you should know this is not the case, sub amp powering 1 sub only requires one RCA input, dont need a Y splitter like he was trying to get the OP to waste his hard earned money on.

Working for autobahn/harvey norman doesnt mean you know what your on about, dont know why you needed to include that, Ive been doin audio for over 10 years now so whats your point?

Also never heard of harvey norman(stores near me) installing car stereos and Northfeild are pretty much the only installers i respect in QLD, any muppet can work at autobahn.

Funny that you Neg reped me for that post as ive already recieved many positive reps from it so ozhonda is either full of idiots or looks like your wrong, like IV73CI. Id bet on the latter one.

Regards,
    I worked at harvey norman so i know everything.
    "I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." - Ayrton Senna

Member Array
    Car:
    SEX 24/7

"most decent aftermarket Hu have 2 channel sub out(non fader), only a couple i seen that dont(mostly AV ones)"
    If you notice i did say its av ones that ive seen with 1 channel, as a supposed installer you should know there are far more cd/mp3 units then AV ones so my statement is 100% correct.

I never said they didnt exist just that there are many more cd/mp3 units around than AV. AV means Audio/Visual unit if you dont know, thought id explain that to you cause you dont seem to know much about car audio.

If you dont think there are more cd/mp3 units then AV consider the fact that AV has only started coming in the last few years where as cd/mp3 has been around for a much longer time, common sense would dictate that many more cd/mp3 have been sold so they are in the majority.

IV73CI was not correct, he said you need to run 2 RCA's to the amp requiring a single channel soruce, if you were an installer you should know this is not the case, sub amp powering 1 sub only requires one RCA input, dont need a Y splitter like he was trying to get the OP to waste his hard earned money on.

Working for autobahn/harvey norman doesnt mean you know what your on about, dont know why you needed to include that, Ive been doin audio for over 10 years now so whats your point?

Also never heard of harvey norman(stores near me) installing car stereos and Northfeild are pretty much the only installers i respect in QLD, any muppet can work at autobahn.

Funny that you Neg reped me for that post as ive already recieved many positive reps from it so ozhonda is either full of idiots or looks like your wrong, like IV73CI. Id bet on the latter one.

Regards,
    I worked at harvey norman so i know everything.
    Not teaming up on anyone here - just want to point out that simple responses can be easily solved by reading the posts/replies and it does not require a blog of answers to prove whos right or wrong .. ffs.

Your saying that i dont read nor understand the OP or your post,

From reading all the replies on this OP - it appears that vtec is the closest to answer the theory relating to the OP.

Specs of the Active subwoofer:
    •Maximum output power: 180W(90Wx2)
    •RMS power: 120W(60Wx2)
    OP refers to 90wx2 or 60wx2 RMS - this means that the built in Active AMP clear shows a 2channel AMP. it doesnt actually say how many subs are connected to this amp but seeing that the amp is a 2ch - it makes sense two subs are connected - Most built in AMP /Sub Active units are suited to match the amp vs sub - I.E 1 sub = 1ch amp or 2subs = 2chan amp sold as a combo/kit.

Therefore the Sub INPUT should be 2x RCA L&R which will require a 3 Y splitter to run the signals from the HU to the AMP L&R due to the 2chan configuration. (VTEC's response to this is correct)

IF you decide to run just 1 RCA from the HU and to the AMP 1 RCA ...then one of the SUB will not work due to a 2chn config - rather than a bridge mode.

The Sony Head unit OP was enquiring about has;
    •RCA Audio Output(s) : Front, Rear, and Subwoofer RCA pre-amp outputs

Sub output = 1 x RCA as illustrated from the manual.

courtesy of: http://store.sony.com/wcsstore/SonyS...set-184728.pdf

i guess the main question that everyone has missed out on is "How many Subs are connected to the amp and how"?..

i dont doubt your response - hence i said why its half right. but not 100% as you claim.

even if the hu only has one output when you are only running 1 channel(1 sub) you only need 1 input on the amp, generally the white(left ch) input. No need for a y splitter.....
    this is the other half which was inaccurate if refered back to OP - but in generallisation YES its correct.

The OP could state 2xchan or 2chan bridged into 1 ...who knows .... but as i mentioned already most Active sub/amp kits are made to match amp & sub characteristics 1:1 ratio ...

oh yeh i do know what im on about - im not a guru or a rocket scientists - i included that to let the poster know that i can help if required and if local.

my 5yrs+ are qualified electronics engineering.

your 10yrs+ could just be self taught / self experience / knowledge and installs on own cars / friends etc etc. - i dont doubt that either - and most people start off from this - just like i did.

its not about how long uve been in the game/business - its about sharing WHAT you know from personal / professional experience.

were obviously in a difference location from each other. ive heard good things about Northfield too .. no doubt

and yes any muppet can work at autobarn - esp nowadays/generations.

but i was one of the early pioneers part of the early autobarn installers. just an FYI.

Why are people so hyped up about rep pointd etc . - i give + or - to posts that i seem right or wrong etc.

i dont rep people because im a hater or jealous etc. i rep whoever the **** i want. and people can do the same.

just gotta remember ppl - this is a online forum - no need to be serious and all and there is definately no need to troll and post up harrassing pics/gifs.

it should be an exciting fun and enjoying experience for everyone without being put down or having a go at someone.

lets all have fun
    Last edited by XB-16-AX; 12-03-2012 at 01:40 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------
    EGK20A - CIVIC Sleeper stylez