Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EG5 VTI

DIY Black Interior EG/ Any Car

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: To Change EG Standard Grey Interior To Black

Required: Flat Blade Screwdriver, Phillips Head Screwdriver, Wax And Grease Remover, Masking Tape, Chux Wipe, Plastic Primer, Plastic/Vinyl Paint.

Hi Guys, My First DIY So Be Gentle. There May Be Others On Here, Sorry In Advance If There Is.
    My Aim Was To Change My Interior From The Grey (Personally I Hate It) To Black Interior.
    Im Doing It Piece By Piece As I Work Through The Week, Ill Be Updating As It Progresses Including Full EG Dash Removal And Reinstall Painted.

As With Any Painting Work, Preperation Is The Key, And If Your Not Willing To Take Your Time You Probably Shouldnt Bother Doing This.

Ok Lets Get Started, You Will Need These.

Flat Blade And Phillips Screwdriver

Wax And Grease Remover ( Available At Supercheap Auto $12)

Masking Tape

Plastic Adhesion Primer And Satin Black Vinyl Paint (Available From Supercheap $17 Each) Please Note Matt Black And Gloss Black Is Also Available, But I Chose To Go With The Satin , As Gloss Looks Way To Shiny For Interior.

You Will Also Need A ChuX/ Dishwashing Cloth To Wipe Down The Plastics.

Ok For EG Start With Handbrake Surround.
    You Will Need To Unscrew These Screws.

( One Located Each Side )

Unscrew Gearknob And Lift Boot Over It, Or If Your Knob Is On Tight Like Mine Look Underneath And You Will See 2 Screws, Undo These.

Once These Are Unscrewed Remove Plastics, Place On Some Newspaper On A Firm Surface.

Wipe Down With Wax And Grease Remover Using Chux/Dishwashing Cloth. Be Sure To Wipe It Untill It Feels Really Dry And Almost Rough. Allow To Dry And Also To Allow The Wax And Grease Remover To Evaporate.

Spray A Really Light Coat Of Plastic Primer, Extremely Light, Do Not Worry About Coverage At This Time. Let Dry And Then Do Another Coat With More Coverage This Time. It Is Completly Up To You How Many Coats You Apply, Ultimatley The More Effort You Put In At This Stage The Better Your Result. Allow To Completly Dry Then Apply Light Coat With Vinyl / Plastic Paint. Repeat Same Process As With Primer, Light Coats Allow To Dry Increasing Coverage Each Time. Allow To Dry.

Ok Now Door Panels.

You Will Need To Unscrew These Screws, One Located Inside The Door Hangle, And Another On The Plastic In The Arm Rest. Also Another in The Opening Of The Door

Once These Are Unscrewed, Hold Your Door Panel From The Underneath, Pull Towards Yourself Till All The Clips Pop Out, Then Lift Upward To Remove It.

Once The Door Panel Is Out Use Masking Tape To Cover Your Cloth. Then Proceed To Wash Down With Wax And Grease Remover And Prime And Paint Following Above Steps

Once Dried Reverse The Steps To Put Them Back Into Your Car
    Some People Choose To Run A Clear Coat Over The Top To Protect It, I Personally Dont As I Believe It Makes It too Shiny, Each To Their Own I Guess.

Finished Result Black/ Original Grey.

Before

After/Half Done

Ignore The Maccas My GF Left In The Car Lol

Sitting on dirty stockies cos my rims have unroadworthy tyres ATM

My other toy lol.

Ive got all the images ready for the dash removal, will get them on in the following days, thanks for the positive comments guys. (12-05-2012)

Hope Ive Helped Or Inspired Atleast One Person To Give It A Go, Thanks For Reading :P
    Last edited by Lanzamus; 12-05-2012 at 11:38 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EK/EP3R
    looking good man, good write up! that one you commented on was my first DIY too haha

you got a before/after pic? got an EK so came wiht black interior

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5 VTI
    Thanks ! I actually saw those wheels for sale and was thinking of doing the same thing lol.
    Added a couple more photos for ya.

Member Array
    Car:
    DB6
    did this about a year ago on my old eg

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5 VTI
    Looks good man, im not intending on doing my ceiling, keeping that the original creamish colour but ill see what it looks like when its done. Might look odd.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5
    whats the scratch resistance like? Im scared to try this incase it scartches up and looks like shit...
    EG5 w/ B18C Project.

Member Array
    Car:
    Pimpin rover
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerjbl View Post
    whats the scratch resistance like? Im scared to try this incase it scartches up and looks like shit...
    Yeah I'd like to know this as well if there is any way of preventing this also

Great write up.

Look forward to seeing the dash removed and done

Member Array
    Car:
    EK9, EG5
    sorry for the off topic. anyone know what the paint code for the original grey colour? I just wanna touch up some faded interior pieces.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5 VTI
    Ive my dash, both doors and all centre console part done for over 2 months now with no problems, havnt needed to touch up or anything. Thats also with my girlfriend sitting in the passenger seat with all her bangles/ handbags and all that shit lol. So yes overall the paint has held up well. Also the dash hasnt faded at all, and my car is out in the weather every.single.day.of.its.life. I'll make it my priority to put the dash removal up.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5 VTI
    Quote Originally Posted by whitecomet07 View Post
    sorry for the off topic. anyone know what the paint code for the original grey colour? I just wanna touch up some faded interior pieces.
    i have no idea sorry.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5
    Cool Lanzamus would be good to see a pic of the dash done in black also...
    Black interior so good over the grey, so no regrets with the quality of the finish then?
    EG5 w/ B18C Project.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5 VTI
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerjbl View Post
    Cool Lanzamus would be good to see a pic of the dash done in black also...
    Black interior so good over the grey, so no regrets with the quality of the finish then?
    Thanks man, nah no regrets at all, extremely happy with the result and if i was to ever buy another car with chatty grey interior i wouldnt hesitate to do it again. More pics added.