Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic

not driving a car for a few months

Ok, so my license got suspended early january.
    Just curious, the car is old as.. 1977 civic 1500 manual. The engine has a bit of trouble with oil smoke on start up (getting that fixed up when I get my license back in april)

So the question is: Should I run my engine for a few minutes every month or so just to keep the engine good?
    I read on another thread that letting your car idle for a few minutes is bad for the following reasons: (trism said this, dunno what the quote code is on this forum, cbf figuring it out)
    warming a car up is the worse thing you can do, for a few reasons, if you have a search youll find them all, but here is a quick run down

1. idling causes fuel wash. the excess fuel in the cylinder not being burnt literally washes the oil off the cylinder walls, removing lubrication
    2. emissions control devices, specifically the catalytic convertor work when heated up. idling the car isnt going to heat it up, so for the 5 minutes its warming up all the toxic nastys are spewing out the exhaust.
    3. youre wasting fuel warming up. the ecu automatically supplies more fuel when cold to prevent stalling. thus wasting petrol (and causing fuel wash)
    4. you sit there for 5 mins warming the engine up thinking youre sweet, then pull out and give it a hit thinking its all fine. well its not. where does the power go through before it hits the wheels? the gearbox/rest of the drivetrain. you hit it, and your 'box is cold still and you cause wear on the drivetrain.

thats a basic run down on why its not necessary. simply get in, start the car up and drive away, taking it easy until the temp reaches operating temperature, that way everything warms up at the same time and you dont damage anything
    So anyway, Since I don't have an ecu, cat or injectors, would that still apply to the first gen?
    Just figured sitting in it and giving it a little bit of revs would be good for it, keep it from getting filled with oil 'n' stuff.
    should I just not turn it over till I drive it next? (only turned it on a few times.. two of which were for a warm up, the others were moving it and testing the new mirrors and such) or is it actually a good idea to stop it from getting stuck or something?

Only a month till I can drive it and get it going properly... just thought i'd ask, see if I'm actually doing the right thing, or if it's going to destroy the car faster :/

Cheers
    -Drif

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Should be fine for only a month mate.If you want,just disconnnect the battery

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3 CTR
    1 month probably shouldnt be an issue its when you live in Canada and hard park your car for 3 months that you would need to do something with the fluids, oils and what not.
    AKA: The Spaniard! +1 Rep me if you find my posts useful.

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    yeah, battery has been disconnected since I lost my license in january. Only reconnecting to start it up or move it for stuff

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    you should be fine providing the oil in the engine isnt 50 yrs old.

PS: how did you manage to lose your license in a 1977 Civic 1500?:!?! Can that thing even reach the speed limit? not to mention exceeding it?"
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3 CTR
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredoops View Post
    you should be fine providing the oil in the engine isnt 50 yrs old.

PS: how did you manage to lose your license in a 1977 Civic 1500?:!?! Can that thing even reach the speed limit? not to mention exceeding it?"
    ahahha! trolol! he went down a hill in neutral

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    oil was changed a little before i lost my license.
    Also, lost it as I crashed my eg, which gained me 3 points for driving without due care and attention.. then they busted me for failing to stop at a yellow light :| the yellow light was just unlucky.. went to stop, expecting it to change, and it didn't change... (only got down to 35~) then sped back up to 60 and went to go through, and it went yellow :| but yeah

It's not that slow

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3 CTR
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifter995 View Post
    oil was changed a little before i lost my license.
    Also, lost it as I crashed my eg, which gained me 3 points for driving without due care and attention.. then they busted me for failing to stop at a yellow light :| the yellow light was just unlucky.. went to stop, expecting it to change, and it didn't change... (only got down to 35~) then sped back up to 60 and went to go through, and it went yellow :| but yeah

It's not that slow
    Wtf?? how can you get busted for not stopping at a yellow?? fuuufufuf its not a red light dammit! that has got to be so stupid man must burn to cop that.

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by JDM EP3 View Post
    Wtf?? how can you get busted for not stopping at a yellow?? fuuufufuf its not a red light dammit! that has got to be so stupid man must burn to cop that.
    apparently the law states you have to stop at them unless it's unsafe to do so.. first time i'd heard that...
    but yeah, sucked pre-bad

Member Array
    Car:
    EG8
    just disconnect battery man. Had my civic sitting for like 9 months now outside too under a car cover. Only pulled negative off battery and thats it. When starting every few months just prime it few times and turn the key. Your only real issue in Aus with a sitting car itting outside is rust really, other than that youl be fine
    Why don't you tell your daddy to comb his damn hair, look like some spiders is having a meetin' on his head.

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    all good then
    I'll leave it till april then. Can't wait to give it a good drive when I get my license back. been waiting to try out these fender mirrors on the road. and aside from that, just giving it a good drive.. been missing driving D:

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifter995 View Post
    apparently the law states you have to stop at them unless it's unsafe to do so.. first time i'd heard that...
    but yeah, sucked pre-bad
    You must be REALLY REALLY REALLY unlucky man, I was in Tassie for a week late last year, traveling up and down left and right between Devonport and Hobart. I saw one police car the whole time I was there, and thats in Hobart CBD.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars