Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    94 honda accord VTI-S
    i took the resi out and fed through a ribbed CAI pipe which leads form the pod filter to under the bar, feeds cold air to the engine like hell, and is more allertive !!

Member Array
    Car:
    1976 VW Kombi
    for a stock car to take the resonator out, do i have to add any pipe??

is there any con's in removing the resonator??
    InTEGRA TYPE R

is there one on the EK civic ?
    [25HYT] IN PROGRESS

No

rip out the white box

the con- yes read my last post- i drew up a ciggy butt + it burnt a hole in my filter

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckz
    for a stock car to take the resonator out, do i have to add any pipe??

is there any con's in removing the resonator??

in regards to resnonator removal ive done it to my car it isn't honda though but i have found that low end is better - i figured it's because air can be sucked instantly instead of goin through a huge series of chambers.. just my 2cents
    78 Civic "Hondamatic"

WTB: 4x120 Wheels. Any kind!

Quote Originally Posted by viperx
    No

rip out the white box

the con- yes read my last post- i drew up a ciggy butt + it burnt a hole in my filter
    also it's there to reduce some noise like a exhaust resonator.. but i foudn it barely noticable
    78 Civic "Hondamatic"

WTB: 4x120 Wheels. Any kind!

Member Array
    Car:
    GG Mazda6 MPS
    Zoom did a test on intake resonators a few (read: lot of) years back. Their conclusion was that having one DID assist in smoothing out the power curve and giving slightly more power than without. They ran the test with stock res., no res., smaller res., larger res., and an even larger res. Guess which had the best result?

Quote Originally Posted by Apple View Post
    Viperx and co.
    Also, while I was taking the air filter box out of the engine bay to clean, I just thought of an idea, not sure what you guys think about this? What if you were to drill some holes at the bottom of the air filter box, would that help increase air intake, and make a difference?
    Alan
    Alan,
    Are you talking about drilling holes the stock filter box inside the engine bay, and have you fitted a CAI? If yes to both these questions then drilling holes in the filter box will negate some of the affect of the CAI, i.e you'll now be sucking at least some of the induction air through the new holes in the box which is still sitting in a bath of hot air, so less cool air from the CAI will be getting into the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by viperx View Post
    I finally got around to removing that fat white resonator from underneath the filter box in my F22B1 (vtec) 97 accord to augment my HKS panel filter.

Stupidly though instead of filling up the same petrol to compare the before and after performance, I filled up with vortex and now the car seems a bit less responsive at low revs (below 4000)- did anyone else find this? Or is the car just less surgey and I'm just feeling it to be less responsive?

What does other ppl who've done this before think...
    Most resonators that I'm aware of don't actually flow induction air through the resonator, rather the opening to the resonator is merely in the wall of the induction tubing. This allows the sonic waves in the induction tube to be intercepted and dissipated as thay pass by the opening into the resonator void, without induction air having to actually pass through it (the resonator probably can't actually flow air since it probably has no 'inlet'). This is how my CB7's stock resonator was set up, but it may not hold true for all set ups(?).

Did you only take the resonator off leaving the resonator opening in the induction pipe open, or did you take it off and block the resonator opening in the induction pipe?

In theory, if you shorten the induction tract you will tend to lose bottom end power, but pick up some at higher rpm (it's a harmonic resonance thing). In reality I can't imagine it's really that simple and that the actual result will probably vary from app to app, even if the theory may generally hold true more often than not. If you left the opening in the induction pipe open then I'll bet you've effectively shortened the induction pipe, thus may have lost some bottom end. If you're lucky you might have picked up some top end...

On my CB7 I've ditched the resonator and fitted a home made CAI that feeds through the standard filter box from high up just inside the fender cavity (Honda thoughtfully provided an aperture leading into this space that only required a little enlargement by the delicate means of a hammer!). I used a short length of 3" PVC plumbing tube (flared at both ends) for the new piping, and cut a new hole in the filter box to suit, blanking off the old holes.

If nothing else this definitely results in a significant increase in the size of the most restrictive parts of the induction system, which on the CB7 is the two smaller diameter tubes leading into the filter, the single 3" pipe being substantially bigger in cross section / area than the two smaller stock tubes added together.

My unreliable seat of the pants impression after fitting this was a slight improvement in response, and a weeny bit more power in the mid range and top end. It didn't seem to actually hurt anywhere, but a dyno may or may not disagree. The induction definitely sounds better though! Not noticably much louder on light throttle, but a 'healthy' roar when you floor it and rev it out.
    Last edited by JohnL; 24-12-2007 at 06:21 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4K24
    when i first got my CD5 vti-s i removed the air intake consisting of

airbox
    resonator
    snail thingo at the front (see picture) thats right, it feeds right back into the engine lol in front of the battery... warm air anyone?
    [IMG][/IMG]

i removed all this and used a podfilter all dodged up using PVC Pipe angle and shizz king dodge sounded awesome but i now notice after the refitment of the stock airbox that the pod wasnt really helping at all lol spose it performed alright for what it was...

[IMG][/IMG]

i have the stock airbox back in and resonator left out, because i love the sound. performs alot better than the dodgepod aswell.

lookin at getting a full CAI, theres some wierd things on the CD5 intake tubing though...
    Last edited by Riviera; 24-12-2007 at 08:32 PM.

Is all that housed inside the fender, or is the black box the filter box? Looks like it, but it's not obvious from the pic just how the two boxes can be separated, one in the fender cavity and the other in the engine bay with a panel between them?

The filter box is so large it looks like effectively two resonator boxes in series, and it's obvious that in this application the induction air is being drawn through the resonator(s).

I can't see a good reason why Honda is then drawing air from the engine bay, though just behind the headlight (in front of the battery) is probably the coolest air you'll find in the engine bay.

It may be that they are taking pains to ensure that air is being drawn from as high up as possible, but if they were drawing from high up inside the fender (rather than engine bay) the flow might not be good because of the white resonator blocking up flow into the fender cavity??

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4K24
    black box is the filter box itself

white box is the resonator housed in the fender

feed pipe sits right in front of the filter box and the little tab sits across the battery but, the feed is so much smaller