Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz R

With the recent wet and upcomming colder weather I'm considering switching intakes

Hey Guys, with all this recent unpredicted wet weather and floods in Sydney plus in preparation for winter, I'm thinking about putting my Injen CAI on the bench for the next 6 months and picking up a Simota whale penis intake...

Reason being, I don't want to get caught out in the rain in front of a 20cm deep puddle and then not being able to drive through it in risk of hydro lock... Nor will I switch off the car and abandon it just to come back to find that flash flooding has now washed it away, best example is when when Governor Macquarie Lake broke its banks in Warwick Farm and roads were as least 20cm deep in water..

Can anyone who's switched from a CAI which sits in the wheel well, to a whale penis provide any feedback?
    ALLIGATORS GOT A GATE

Member Array
    Car:
    EK CIVIC
    Although not a civic i have done this on my XR6T - the CAI i normally run sits behind the front fog lamp and as a result got me a little worried about heavy rain and flooding so i tried changing to one in the engine bay - results were less than desirable with alot of heat-soak while in stop start traffic.

I changed back and i haven't had any issues with water ingestion while its raining - plus i don't drive through flood waters, lol!

Its different because my car is turbocharged and obviously the under bonnet temps are higher, but it was quite noticeable.

current set-up

OHSC

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    If the whale penis has a bit of fresh air it would be OK i suppose.. given that the ambient air temperature would be a bit cooler in winter.

the heatsoak in summer though would be horrible
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Winter isn't known as a rainy season.

I've never had problems with the injen.

most of the problems you hear about water getting into engines if from an inexperienced person.
    Last edited by Zilli; 13-03-2012 at 06:58 PM. Reason: no need for personal judgement champ...

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by senna View Post
    is the intercooler piping normally plumbed that way? how do you install the headlight? or changed for track use?

Member Array
    Car:
    EK CIVIC
    Not normally like that, but the black silicon just fits, slightly deforms when headlight is installed but hasn't proved to be an issue
    OHSC

must be quiet as, considering all that piping.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK CIVIC
    Not really, sounds like an F18 jet....

OHSC

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz R
    Quote Originally Posted by Bludger View Post
    Winter isn't known as a rainy season.

I've never had problems with the injen.

most of the problems you hear about water getting into engines if from an inexperienced person.

just use common sense.

a rarity these days.
    I was also thinking along those lines too... We might get less rain and just more cold in winter, because rain/storms generally form due to extremely hot and humid weather...
    ALLIGATORS GOT A GATE

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Honestly dont think you will get hydro lock, been in some hairy rainy situation.... where theres similar puddle as you described with cai

From my experience, when crossing those deep puddles either stop an do u-turn to higher ground... or creep slowly in the puddle, that wont create any form of splash or kick up water...... Though it may take 10 yrs to cross, better to have a car that still runs than a car thats hydro locked lol.........
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Or just get out, pop bonnet and disconnect CAI from throttle body until you reach the other side.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz R
    ^ wait what!!! Give that man a ****ing beer! Why have I never though of that earlier?

I'm no afraid of splash back was more worried about air filter being completely submerged.

Ok its settled then CAI stays!
    ALLIGATORS GOT A GATE