Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2

Basic Wiring diagram for Headunit to amp to sub.

Can someone provide a brief description or list as to what cables ill need to connect my alpine HU to a Cobalt sub and a kenwood amp?

the sub an amp were free from a mate and he couldnt give me all the cables (so far have some RCA cables + Red Power cable with fuse in-line),
    so im wandering what else ill need, any other tips be great.

its all goin into my 2003 GD3 Jazz.

im sure this has been covered before but i cant think of some key words.
    and im wary as to whether there has been a change in the types of cables used or something.

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    Lengths and gauges of cables depends on where you position the amp and how much current you intend to run.

Power
    Run a power cable(with fuse) from the + on your battery to the amp.
    Ground(-) the amp by running a short length of wire to the closest bolt to the amp and sand off a small section of paint(under the bolt) to make sure it has good contact
    Run Remote + from back of HU(usually blue/white) to amp

Rca
    Asuming your using a normal cd/mp3 unit run a set of rca's off the sub out/non fader outputs on the HU and plug them into the Rca inputs on your amp

Sub
    Connect the sub + and - to the + and - speaker outputs on your amp
    "I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." - Ayrton Senna

Quote Originally Posted by TbM View Post
    Lengths and gauges of cables depends on where you position the amp and how much current you intend to run.

Power
    Run a power cable(with fuse) from the + on your battery to the amp.
    Ground(-) the amp by running a short length of wire to the closest bolt to the amp and sand off a small section of paint(under the bolt) to make sure it has good contact
    Run Remote + from back of HU(usually blue/white) to amp

Rca
    Asuming your using a normal cd/mp3 unit run a set of rca's off the sub out/non fader outputs on the HU and plug them into the Rca inputs on your amp

Sub
    Connect the sub + and - to the + and - speaker outputs on your amp
    this is an extremely accurate reply.

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    What you'll need:
    Power wire (red) with an inline fuse (which you have) preferably of a decent size.. 4 or 8awg should be fine any smaller and i'd look for 8awg minimum
    Rca's (which you have)
    Remote wire (thin blue wire.. it is used as a signal wire)
    Ground wire (same thickness as the power wire.)
    Speaker wire (to connect amp to sub)

How you'll go about it:
    -Run the power wire down the side of the car, from the battery to the amp, leaving the fuse end up near the battery (you'll want to fuse the wire as close to the battery as possible). Connect it into the + or positive slot in the amp.
    -Attach the ground cable to the amp, and then find a solid bolt into the body of the car, which touches metal. If it has paint on it, sand back any paint where it'll touch the spade terminal on the ground cable)
    -Run the rca's and remote wire down the other side of the car. You'll want to connect the remote wire to the remote wire on the back of the headunit (should be either blue, or blue with a white stripe.. dunno)
    -Attach rca's to the amp, and then to the sub pre-out on the headunit.
    -Set gains on the amp to minimum
    -attach speaker wires to amp and sub.
    turn on amp, set gains. If you don't know how, I suggest you get a professional to do it, so you don't blow your sub.

That help?

edit: dammit, beaten to it >.>

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    Thanks guys, dont sweat it Drifter yours was last but gave lots of detail

is remote cable required? and yeh its blue.

so the RCA outlets are on the back of the head unit arent they??
    fml gonna have fun taking that thing back out.

Quote Originally Posted by GU357 View Post
    Thanks guys, dont sweat it Drifter yours was last but gave lots of detail

is remote cable required? and yeh its blue.

so the RCA outlets are on the back of the head unit arent they??
    fml gonna have fun taking that thing back out.
    remote cable is required or else the amp will be constantly on.

the remote cable sends a signal from the head unit to the amp, telling it when to turn on.

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    yes, remote cable is required.. it's used to turn the amp on.. it's job it to turn the amp on when the headunit turns on. without it, no power to the amp...
    And yeah, rca outlets are on the back. Is fine to plug them in :3 I had to bend into a fun shape to put mine in.. since mine isn't in the dash, but under the glove box xD

edit: dammit bludger >.>
    And to correct bludger, it'll always be off, unless you link a wire from the power... (afaik)
    Last edited by Drifter995; 13-03-2012 at 08:42 PM.

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    ahh ok thanks again guys. im hoping ill be able to cheat and connect the cables by putting my hand through the empty din slot below the HU, does the remote cable plug in? or do u splice it and put it in a hole that makes contact via pressure (like the way the power goes into the amp). because atm the RCA cables have a blue wire running parallel with them (taped on to the side) but no plugs on either end.

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    you strip the end going to the headunit, strip the end on the headunits end, then solder it and heatshrink over the join...

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    ahh ok thanks again guys. im hoping ill be able to cheat and connect the cables by putting my hand through the empty din slot below the HU, does the remote cable plug in? or do u splice it and put it in a hole that makes contact via pressure (like the way the power goes into the amp). because atm the RCA cables have a blue wire running parallel (tape on to) with it but not plugs on either end.
    Remote is just a small gague wire, have to strip the ends on your harness and remote wire and solder them together(can just twist and tape if your lazy) other end goes in your amp.
    That blue wire is your remote, it wont have plugs.
    Last edited by TbM; 13-03-2012 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Lol dam i got beaten this time

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    thanks guys, been massive help.

i figured the long blue cable must be related to it. sweet.

so the remote cable on the HU is just a hanging cable? and i just have to solder them together?

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    thanks guys, been massive help.

i figured the long blue cable must be related to it. sweet.

so the remote cable on the HU is just a hanging cable? and i just have to solder them together?
    Its like one of these cables, they come off your Hu harness

you can solder and heatshrink/tape or if your lazy you can just twist the ends together and heatshrink/tape, not alot of current is going through there so doesnt need a soldered connection to function properly but its definately better to solder if you have an iron and can solder.