Member Array
    Car:
    DC2

New speakers for a '97 DC2

I don't know if there's a certain dimension or all the speakers are universal, I'm looking for new speakers because the bass sound with my stock ones is like someone coughing with phlegm. There's a headunit + 2 speaker set at JB-HI-FI but shouldn't I replace 4 speakers since my car has 4?

Thanks for any info!
    Won-Hyo

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    stock speakers are 6", you can fit bigger size like 6.5" but you'll need a spacer

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    You'd probably want a spacer anyway, most stock speakers are pretty shallow, and getting aftermarket ones, depending on the brand and price, can be anywhere from too deep to nice and shallow.
    Either way, hit up your local car store, I think frankston car audio may be close as it's gonna get for mea sponsored/ recommended.. dunno about others, but eh.
    Go to a store, tell them your car, that you plan on just running a headunit and speakers, so you want something efficient, that'll give you nice bass and sound good. They should (if they know what they are talking about) point you towards some nicer speakers. Then just audition them, see if you like the sound, and once you find one you like the sound of, buy them and install them. if you don't plan on using an amp at any point in time, any headunit will suffice... just get what works for you, looks nice to you and is easy for you to use.

And to answer your question, a good pair of splits up the front is all you need to get it sounding good. Example everyone uses: When you go to a concert, the bands sound comes from infront of you, not behind you, that is what you want to aim for; as if the band was right on your bonnet, playing just for you. So in most cases, your rears will be faded out, unless you love your rear fill. (by rear fill, I don't mean bass... I mean mid-high range.. a sub'd be fine up back, etc)

So basically, shop around for some decent splits in your price range, see if they sound nice. if they do, buy them, and install them. ezpz.

If you want to get more serious, think about amps, subs, sub boxes, pricier headunits, wiring, batteries, etc etc... For decent car audio, it can cost you a lot.. my previous car cost me in excess of 4k including install... and that was entry level gear... the current car is still pretty entry level gear, but with a few more pricey bits, and without install, so far it's cost me about 2-3k... with installs, probably looking at about 6k if I don't do it all myself >.> lots of work in it... (gotta make speaker pods, parcel shelf, sub box, false floor, tray bit in the engine bay for fuse holder, upgrade earths, upgrade alternator power wire, etc etc)

But yes, splits up front for nice bass and such. Enjoy

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Hatch
    Don't worry about rear speakers. You sit at the front, you listen to the front speakers, hence spend the money on speakers you'll actually listen to.

If you want to buy speakers, head to a store that SOLELY sells car audio. JB hi fi sells DVD's, Autobarn sells spark plugs, speak to someone in a store that's an enthusiast and loves their trade, not some prick that needs to sell you some boxes to keep the manager happy.
    An enthusiast store will probably point you towards brands such as Morel, Focal, Crescendo, Arc Audio, DLS, Image Dynamics, Hybrid audio, Nakamichi... You may not have heard of it, but it's a cut above the chain store brands that are plastered on peoples back windows.

You will need spacers for your doors, at least my EG did to comfortably clear the door glass.

As for bass, what are your expectations? New speakers properly mounted will sound punchy and clean, unlike those old stock speakers from 20yrs ago. But don't expect booming bass from your front doors, and if you're going to want a sub, grab a headunit with at least two pre-outs. So no $99 specials.
    Last edited by RAD; 20-03-2012 at 10:27 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifter995 View Post
    You'd probably want a spacer anyway, most stock speakers are pretty shallow, and getting aftermarket ones, depending on the brand and price, can be anywhere from too deep to nice and shallow.
    Either way, hit up your local car store, I think frankston car audio may be close as it's gonna get for mea sponsored/ recommended.. dunno about others, but eh.
    Go to a store, tell them your car, that you plan on just running a headunit and speakers, so you want something efficient, that'll give you nice bass and sound good. They should (if they know what they are talking about) point you towards some nicer speakers. Then just audition them, see if you like the sound, and once you find one you like the sound of, buy them and install them. if you don't plan on using an amp at any point in time, any headunit will suffice... just get what works for you, looks nice to you and is easy for you to use.

And to answer your question, a good pair of splits up the front is all you need to get it sounding good. Example everyone uses: When you go to a concert, the bands sound comes from infront of you, not behind you, that is what you want to aim for; as if the band was right on your bonnet, playing just for you. So in most cases, your rears will be faded out, unless you love your rear fill. (by rear fill, I don't mean bass... I mean mid-high range.. a sub'd be fine up back, etc)

So basically, shop around for some decent splits in your price range, see if they sound nice. if they do, buy them, and install them. ezpz.

If you want to get more serious, think about amps, subs, sub boxes, pricier headunits, wiring, batteries, etc etc... For decent car audio, it can cost you a lot.. my previous car cost me in excess of 4k including install... and that was entry level gear... the current car is still pretty entry level gear, but with a few more pricey bits, and without install, so far it's cost me about 2-3k... with installs, probably looking at about 6k if I don't do it all myself >.> lots of work in it... (gotta make speaker pods, parcel shelf, sub box, false floor, tray bit in the engine bay for fuse holder, upgrade earths, upgrade alternator power wire, etc etc)

But yes, splits up front for nice bass and such. Enjoy
    Thanks for all the info man!! will take note!
    Quote Originally Posted by RAD View Post
    Don't worry about rear speakers. You sit at the front, you listen to the front speakers, hence spend the money on speakers you'll actually listen to.

If you want to buy speakers, head to a store that SOLELY sells car audio. JB hi fi sells DVD's, Autobarn sells spark plugs, speak to someone in a store that's an enthusiast and loves their trade, not some prick that needs to sell you some boxes to keep the manager happy.
    An enthusiast store will probably point you towards brands such as Morel, Focal, Crescendo, Arc Audio, DLS, Image Dynamics, Hybrid audio, Nakamichi... You may not have heard of it, but it's a cut above the chain store brands that are plastered on peoples back windows.

You will need spacers for your doors, at least my EG did to comfortably clear the door glass.

As for bass, what are your expectations? New speakers properly mounted will sound punchy and clean, unlike those old stock speakers from 20yrs ago. But don't expect booming bass from your front doors, and if you're going to want a sub, grab a headunit with at least two pre-outs. So no $99 specials.
    Do you know any stores in canberra that specialize in Car Audio? I have no idea where to look
    Won-Hyo

Quote Originally Posted by RAD View Post

good info.

how do you rate DD speakerS?

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Hatch
    The speakers, like all DD products are built bulletproof, but i've only ever had DD speakers in SPL setups to cope with 150+ dB, so i couldn't vouch for their sound quality unfortunately.

As for a dealer in ACT, check the list of shops on Car Audio Masters (CAM) network. Members of the CAM network make up the majority of the quality shops, and installs are warrantied nation wide.