Civic Ej1 d16y7 to B18a2 swap questions with pics

Hi everybody,

i just get a b18a2 engine to do a swap to my ej1 that has a d16y7... you maybe asking "why you buy a too old engine?"... well i get it just for 300 bucks the longblock with stock header and intake manifold... so i think is ok to be a project...

my question here is:

1. What can i do to this engine?

For know i will do a overhaulin', so i will put some high comp pistons, ITR oil and water pump with timing kit gates blue. what do you believe?

2. What tranny i can look?

as i know the best tranny is the ITR tranny that have better final, but here in panama it cost 1600 usd bucks... so i'm looking for a VTi or SI b16a2 or b16a tranny... that has a good gears too... what do you think?

3. What Tranny clutch kit can i buy?

well the engine was automatic, so it comes with the turbine (AT), so i must buy a full clutch kit with flywheel right?, so i'm thinking on buy a XTD complete clutch kit with flywheel 9 lbs... is ok?

4. To Complete the swap, what else i need?

engine mounts?, shift linkage?, what else?

for know this are my questions, hope you can help...

Thanks,
    Jesús

28 views and no post?

common people... help with my project?

Member Array
    Car:
    yokomo MR4TC-BD
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerwing View Post

my question here is:

1. What can i do to this engine?

For know i will do a overhaulin', so i will put some high comp pistons, ITR oil and water pump with timing kit gates blue. what do you believe?

2. What tranny i can look?

as i know the best tranny is the ITR tranny that have better final, but here in panama it cost 1600 usd bucks... so i'm looking for a VTi or SI b16a2 or b16a tranny... that has a good gears too... what do you think?

3. What Tranny clutch kit can i buy?

well the engine was automatic, so it comes with the turbine (AT), so i must buy a full clutch kit with flywheel right?, so i'm thinking on buy a XTD complete clutch kit with flywheel 9 lbs... is ok?

4. To Complete the swap, what else i need?

engine mounts?, shift linkage?, what else?

for know this are my questions, hope you can help...

Thanks,
    Jesús
    Jesus - i think we should all bow our heads and pray first champ!

1) Rebuild internally - as per your initial plans is a great start.

2) Correct ITR is best suited - but if you dont have the budget for it then grab a B16A/B18c2 (non vtec) Hydro tranny.

3) YES - Buy a complete clutch kit with a matching flywheel - the durability of the clutch kit will depend on your current and future plans with the motor.

4) YES as per your list, - you will also need an aftermarket ECU to run those higher comp pistons etc, OBD2B to OBD1/2 (depends on which ecu u get) conversion harness, matching B18 intermediate shaft, after market headers / exhaust system to get the full potential of your swap.

but IMO - for all the money you will be spending on this rebuild / swap - you are better off buying a B16A or B18c2 VTEC conversion.

good luck with your plans and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by Emnesty View Post
    Jesus - i think we should all bow our heads and pray first champ!

1) Rebuild internally - as per your initial plans is a great start.

2) Correct ITR is best suited - but if you dont have the budget for it then grab a B16A/B18c2 (non vtec) Hydro tranny.

3) YES - Buy a complete clutch kit with a matching flywheel - the durability of the clutch kit will depend on your current and future plans with the motor.

4) YES as per your list, - you will also need an aftermarket ECU to run those higher comp pistons etc, OBD2B to OBD1/2 (depends on which ecu u get) conversion harness, matching B18 intermediate shaft, after market headers / exhaust system to get the full potential of your swap.

but IMO - for all the money you will be spending on this rebuild / swap - you are better off buying a B16A or B18c2 VTEC conversion.

good luck with your plans and God Bless
    Hi bro, than,

Off course, this engine cost nothing compare the 4000 bucks that cost the b16a or b18c, so I only have for this, so I can build something for now...

2) That tranny is better than the vti one?

4) I have a chipped ecu p28, can I use it?

Respect!

Member Array
    Car:
    SEX 24/7
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerwing View Post
    Hi bro, than,

Off course, this engine cost nothing compare the 4000 bucks that cost the b16a or b18c, so I only have for this, so I can build something for now...

2) That tranny is better than the vti one? -

4) I have a chipped ecu p28, can I use it?

Respect!
    champ - add up all the parts thats going to cost you to build the internals, externals etc etc itll be the same as a B16/18 but at the end of the day, you have a more reliable motor and prob more power compared to the b18 non vtec. - just my opinion

2) That tranny is better than the vti one? = Are you referring to your D16y7 tranny? if your comparing this tranny vs the B16/18 S4C, S80 trannys then YES. the S80, S4C, trannys are better than the vti (d16y7).

4) I have a chipped ecu p28, can I use it? = does it have the B18 oem base map? if so then yes u can use IF your keeping internals to OEM spec, but if you go higher compression bigger cams etc, then you can still use your P28 ecu and install the Hondata S300 v3.
    ------------------------------------------------
    EGK20A - CIVIC Sleeper stylez

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    IMO just get yourself an OBD1 B20 non-vtec. Probably only cost you $200-300 more, newer engine and more worthwhile for the effort, as well as good vtec potential later. Yes you can LS/VTEC the B18A but you may as well grab the extra 200cc.

Otherwise the main issues will be your wiring setup. Mounts are easy to get, clearance no problem. B16A box is my best bet of you can't afford a type r, but seriously if you can't afford the extra $1000 to get the ITR box you should be strongly reconsidering doing this at all. GBox is the crux of the swap and you're already investing in an old engine which will definitely throw you unwanted spanners during the conversion.

i understand that bros...

but maybe in USA and other countries is easy talk about buy a ITR engine or VTi Engine... but here in panama that isn't easiest.

I hope all ok.

but all will not still, there... i will go for a S4C Tranny and later go for a Vtec head and a better IM... so i will not too old as all thinks...

thanks everyone for your positive coments...

i have a last question, all b16+ and b18+ parts are interchangeable? all all?

respect!

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    For the VTEC engines, pretty much all of the parts are, some differences in certain intake components etc between certain engines though. Just ask what you want to swap and we'll answer.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R, EG & EP3R
    i agree on getting the b20...

also remember, you will need a set of manual flywheel bolts since the automatic ones are longer.

with the money you will spend on shift linkages, mounts, gearbox with flywheel and clutch kit, flywheel studs and cv shafts.... plus you want to do internals..... you mights aswell go b18c2 or b20vtec complete conversion kit. but thats my opinion.
    BARPPP