Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Micky Mouse car

Sound system stock head unit

I have an 07 gd3. I had a system professionally installed but I now need the boot space.

Just curiou. I had tweeters installed at same time. If I take out the after market head unit and put my stok one back in; can I keep the tweeters?

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    hmm unless the tweeter are running seperate wires from the HeadUnit, i would guess the tweeters can stay.
    good luck with changing it back to OEM.
    takes a few goes to get good at.

but im no expert on stereos ahaha.

Member Array
    Car:
    GD3/ED6
    depends if your crossovers are connected to the amp or headunit. (and where did you get your tweeters installed? i had to drill a hole in my door)

if your speakers are connected to your amp, you gotta rewire your lines back up to the stock wiring. This being said, you would probably have to share the power and you wont get the same power from an external source.

hows your system set up now? so i can get a better idea.

Member Array
    Car:
    Micky Mouse car
    Mmm. I'm not w big audio guy so don't really know much.
    I've got after market speakers all round as well as tweeters drilled into door

Ivemgot two amps and a sub. So assuming th speakers are all powered by the amp

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    if the amp is powering the speakers i doubt it the stock HU will be compatible.

The Amp requires signal from the HU to tell it to turn on.
    The Remote cable is connected at the HU and amp, it gives the commands to turn on, other wise the amp would drain the battery if its on all the time.

The Stock HU wouldn't have a Remote cable, or at least its very unlikely.

If the amp wont be able to run with the stock HU so there goes any speakers connected to the amp and any subwoofers.

it's unlikely that the tweeters will be connected to the amp, well it's almost impossible, amp is to power your sub.

your speaking will be powered by the headunit.

as for the tweeters, it is also unlikely to be compatible with the stock hu, best to just leave it there to save having holes in your doors.

essentially the way it works is.... Headunit powers the tweeters/speakers and is connected via a live wire with the ignition. Amp powers the sub and is powered by a cable running straight from the battery, it receives it's signals via a wire to the back of the headunit (and as GU357 said, it gives the command to turn on), if that makes sense.

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    i have seen amps run speakers tho.
    so its not entirely far fetched.

he says he has 2 amp and 1 sub, 1 amp for sub another for speakers

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    Quote Originally Posted by fillit View Post
    it's unlikely that the tweeters will be connected to the amp, well it's almost impossible, amp is to power your sub.

your speaking will be powered by the headunit.

as for the tweeters, it is also unlikely to be compatible with the stock hu, best to just leave it there to save having holes in your doors.

essentially the way it works is.... Headunit powers the tweeters/speakers and is connected via a live wire with the ignition. Amp powers the sub and is powered by a cable running straight from the battery, it receives it's signals via a wire to the back of the headunit (and as GU357 said, it gives the command to turn on), if that makes sense.
    Nice try but your knowledge/logic is flawed. op has 2 amps, you dont use 2 amps to power 1 sub so we would have to assume one is for the sub and the other is running the speakers.
    Why would the tweeters not be compatibal with the stock HU? It would stand to reason he has splits so all he would have to do is hook up the crossovers input to the stock HU. They wouldnt be recieving enough power to drive them to their full potential but it would work.

To the OP Are you intending on removing the sub and amps then just running stock HU and the upgraded speakers? or did you want to keep the speaker amp and run stock HU?

You say you need boot space so i dont understand why you need to change the HU back, i would recommend keeping your current one and moving the amp that powers your speakers under the drivers or passengers seat, remove sub and sub amp, that way you retain decent power and have boot space.
    "I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." - Ayrton Senna

Member Array
    Car:
    Micky Mouse car
    I was thinking of removing everything but the sub and putting everything ack to stock.
    One cos I wanted extra boot space and can't put stuff on top of the amps while seats down and assumed can't keep speakers without the amps

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    Quote Originally Posted by sab0r View Post
    I was thinking of removing everything but the sub and putting everything ack to stock.
    One cos I wanted extra boot space and can't put stuff on top of the amps while seats down and assumed can't keep speakers without the amps
    If you want to remove everything but the sub and put everything back to stock then thats not possible. your head unit will not run a sub and 4 speakers and you wont gain much if any boot space, the sub is whats taking up the space.

You can keep the speakers without external amps, thats how it ran in the first place, standard Hu has an internal amp its just really low powered compared to most external amps, aftermarket HU will have a better internal amp than the standard HU so long as its a decent HU and not a deadhead.
    Last edited by TbM; 18-03-2012 at 09:18 AM. Reason: **** i cant spell/type

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    Dont forget that the amp won't go under the gd3 front seats due to the lack of space and petrol tank.
    If he wants bootspace just temporarily remove the amps n sub. For now. Then plug in later.
    But if the speakers require high power to run the stock headunit won't be good enough.
    And it defs won't run the sub.

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    Quote Originally Posted by GU357 View Post
    Dont forget that the amp won't go under the gd3 front seats due to the lack of space and petrol tank.
    If he wants bootspace just temporarily remove the amps n sub. For now. Then plug in later.
    But if the speakers require high power to run the stock headunit won't be good enough.
    And it defs won't run the sub.
    Ah righto is there absolutely no clearence? havent worked on a gd3 so just have to go on previous experience with similar cars, in alot of the hatchbacks ive worked on the seat is high enough to mount an amp under it.