Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Quote Originally Posted by Bludger View Post
    People asking about prices deserve a serving.
    We have a new section that we are running a trial with for this very issue. OzHonda should be a place people can do research and ask for advice, noobs or old-hands.

Quote Originally Posted by trism View Post
    people bad mouthing jay dee umm dee fufteen bee deserve it.

seriously though guise, good info here.

I think it comes down to this; even if youve just joined this forum, you still would have been around the internet for quite a while, and have heard about this new fandangled thing called google.
    Google won't always give you the best answer, nor will a mechanic give you the most accurate price. You can easily be scammed or taken advantage of.

Personally I think a community like OzHonda which has a depth of experience is a great place to ask for help for the reasons mentioned above.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    Google has given the best answers I've ever needed.

It takes longer than hitting enter and first result, might be an hour of going through links etc, but I guarantee you'd find an answer quicker than you would asking it here.

As for asking on here rather than asking a mechanic, because they rip people off, and don't give accurate prices that's a cop out. How can someone on ozhonda give a price when they aren't a mechanic? Do you go to the doctor, then go to another because you don't believe him? No, because its his job.

There's no point asking a mechanic a question, then coming back to ozhonda and asking. You do a search, not just here, but on google, get some info and a few causes, then call up a few mechanics with that info, and get quotes on repair prices.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R

It takes longer than hitting enter and first result, might be an hour of going through links etc, but I guarantee you'd find an answer quicker than you would asking it here.

As for asking on here rather than asking a mechanic, because they rip people off, and don't give accurate prices that's a cop out. How can someone on ozhonda give a price when they aren't a mechanic? Do you go to the doctor, then go to another because you don't believe him? No, because its his job.

There's no point asking a mechanic a question, then coming back to ozhonda and asking. You do a search, not just here, but on google, get some info and a few causes, then call up a few mechanics with that info, and get quotes on repair prices.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    The doctor and mechanic analogy is stupid.

On here,although not being all mechanics we can post what price we may have paid for the given service/item.So the OP can go by averages if they wish.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    Here's an average for you.

Mechanics charge between 70 and 110 an hour for labour. 90% of them also have a program called "auto service quote" where all they need to do is punch in what's needing to be done and it'll give them a figure of how many hours it should take. There's no guess work involved.

They won't charge more than retail for parts. So ring some parts stores and get a quote on the parts you need. Even better if you get them at a cheaper price.

Its really not hard just to make some calls and do the ground work after you get some advice about what may be the problem.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9

I'm glad to hear your googling experience has been so fruitful, but let's not for one moment pretend it's the be-all and end-all of information, whether it's price related or not. Even you yourself have resorted to OzHonda for assistance from time to time. Is that because your own guarantee of finding answers on google faster than OH failed? And where do you draw the line and say somebody should have googled it? If you remove a grain of sand from a heap, is it still a heap? When does it cease to be a heap? At one grain? See the pointlessness of dozens of people all trying individually to determine at what point another member should or should not resort to the forum for help?

This is why wynnode is giving everybody a friendly warning to adhere to basic etiquette. If you're not smart enough to realise where the line is drawn then it will be drawn for you in the form on an infraction. If you don't like it, just leave. But don't think you can harass other members because YOU have decided they have no right to post certain questions or information.
    I'm not saying you specifically are a culprit mate. You're a helpful member! I am just entertaining your arguments, and honestly we could argue all day about what is and isn't appropriate enough to be forum-material. However you don't make that decision and if you try to enforce your own beliefs on other members you need to do so with respect and reason. The forum is constantly re-structured and monitored to keep it as tidy as possible, so all you need to do is participate in the sections that interest you. Stay away from the 'Noob' or the 'How much for/to' sections if it gives you a headache - but it's here to help.

And your reference to doctors is ridiculous to a person who works in a hospital like myself. I do think that a community this large should be able to confirm or disprove some information or quotes from our own past personal experiences. I have seen mechanics blatantly try to rip people off and I'm glad some people have asked me for my opinion. A tyre shop once tried to charge my GF $880 for four new 15" tyres on her Corolla. It does happen sometimes, not everybody is well-intended.
    And yes, I recommend EVERYBODY get second medical opinions (in terms of seeing another doctor) if they are concerned about their initial diagnosis or treatment plan. Doctors are often wrong, and seldom work alone to begin with (more like teams of 4-6 seniors, plus juniors and intermediates, allied health, nursing staff etc). Or maybe we should all just jump on google and self-diagnose by your theory? Do you have any idea how ludicrous that concept is at the end of the day?

There should be nothing more to discuss. Play nice or don't play.
    Last edited by dougie_504; 22-03-2012 at 03:54 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    yokomo MR4TC-BD
    Well said...

Hallelujah Amen!!

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504 View Post
    There should be nothing more to discuss. Play nice or don't play.
    Exactly.

This thread isn't about new users asking the same questions. It's about the attitudes of a few members who feel they can disrespect other members. Thread closed as this is the main point. No excuses from now.
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq