Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord Eu

CL9 - Mugen Short Shifter Installation (removal of center console)

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Hi. I thought I give back to the community, from where I have learnt a lot have gotten countless help, with my first DIY.

Ordered a Mugen Short Shifter for the Euro, took a month to get here from the States (dont know where it went missing for 3 weeks).

I have taken help from the TSX forum where someone had a DIY for the Mugen SS and a few various sources. I thought I would make a detailed version and combine all bits of info into one. So here goes....

1 - View your targeted area of work.

2 - Remove gear knob and ash tray.

3 - Remove the center console front panel

Where the arrows are marked, pull gently upwards. It is held by 4 clips. The luxury models have seat heater switches here I believe, so unplug them.

4 - Remove center holder (ash tray + lighter part)

The screw in the far back is the one holding this in place. The other two I thought were too, however they hold the center console. Still have to take them off so might as well now. There are also two clips in the front, gently pull it out.

Disconnect the accessory power socket connectors (clips to pull out). Where the red arrow is marked is the light, twist it anti clockwise to remove.

Above are the clips. Be mindful that when pulling it out the clips may come off and fly off in any corner.

5 - Remove the center console rear panel

This has 6 clips (similar to above). Had a bit of trouble getting it off as didnt want to force it too much. I found it best to pull where I marked with the arrow. Ended up with 1 clip (top right) being hard to come off. Dont try to take it off at an angle, straight up as possible.

6 - Remove the center console (whole)

2 screws off here (2 were removed in step 4)

A screw on each side towards the back (seats have to be adjusted forward)

Final two screws inside the console after removing the base cover. Mine were loose, which explains why my center console wasnt firmly in place :\.

Carefully pull the console up and over the handbrake (leave handbrake pulled up, way easier).

7 - Remove front (CD) compartment

I decided to remove this to make more room. Just unscrew the two screws. It is held in by two more clips. Kinda figured out the hard way, but keep the lid closed (way way easier this way).

Also remove the above metal frame type thing. It got in the way of me opening 1 of the 4 bolts of the shifter. 10mm socket required.

8 - Remove old shifter - side shift linkage

This is held in place by a cotter pin. Remove as below:

There is a washer on it, marked. Remember to put it back the same way, the metal side facing the shifter. Now onto removing it from the front:

I used channel lock pliers to turn the black retaining unit 90deg counter clockwise. Just lift it up to remove from the assembly.

9 - Remove old shifter - main shift linkage

Below are images that show how this linkage is attached to the gear lever (underneath).

The black spring wire is accessible on both sides. I expanded the wire ends a bit and linkage popped right out. Now on to the tough part.

Use the same pliers, with a bit of twisting left and right, yank out the metal shim (whatever its called). Voilla all disconnected.

10 - Remove old shifter (finally)

Remove the four bolts holding down the shifter. 12mm socket required.

Remove the 3 wire harnesses (2 on the left side). Get your hand underneath to press and pop them out . 1 on the left had no room for my fingers, so had to use the needle nose pliers.

11 - All removed.

12 - Reconnect everything back. Make sure you install the Mugen SS instead of the old one.

DONE! (wanted to put a smiley here, but didnt know max of 25 images per post lol)

The height of the knob is a bit too low for me. I find my arm tilting down from the rest to the gear knob. I will install the nut back to raise it a bit. Overall the shifter is more stiffer, have to get used to that. Gear shifting has become quicker, I especially love 2-3 changes, nice and quick. Overall it took around 2.5 hours (took my time, had a few interruptions and an argument with a stranger :P).

Hope you all found the DIY helpful. If any issues or things to add please do so. If images dont show anytime PM me, ill get it running again. Cheers.
    Last edited by roony; 29-09-2013 at 11:20 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Corolla Spec S
    exellent

well documented diy

+ rep

Member Array
    Car:
    07 Accord Euro
    You're a legend. That's just what I needed, thanks a lot.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord Eu
    Thank you guys. Thanks for the rep

helped me alot .got stuck for a while on the black wire didnt really no what to do hahaha ,thx for the guide

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    Very detailed write up. I've just bought one and can't wait to install it. Thanks!

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord Eu
    Thanks guys. If you need any help let me know .

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    08 Accord Euro
    That's brilliant write up, makes it looks easy
    Job very neatly done