Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    Quote Originally Posted by 90civicGL View Post
    hahaha, all is well. So if I went with diagram 1, how would i go about connecting the 4 wires to one plug?

EDIT: The 2 wires to each plug i guess it would be, but isnt a banana plug just like a jack, and only one can fit in?
    I dont use banana plugs i just use speaker wire, the banana connectors on my car sub and home audio can be screwed out(grab the top and twist counter-clockwise) to reveal a hole to slide speaker wire through then it screws back down to clamp it in place, would take a pic for you but am without camera phone at the moment, wouldnt be surprised if yours is the same and if they are then its easy to run multiple cables to one jack.
    "I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." - Ayrton Senna

Member Array
    Car:
    1990 Civic ED6
    Quote Originally Posted by TbM View Post
    I dont use banana plugs i just use speaker wire, the banana connectors on my car sub and home audio can be screwed out(grab the top and twist counter-clockwise) to reveal a hole to slide speaker wire through then it screws back down to clamp it in place, would take a pic for you but am without camera phone at the moment, wouldnt be surprised if yours is the same and if they are then its easy to run multiple cables to one jack.
    Had a closer look at mine, and it has a similar thing, has the hole for the wire, but it uses a spring mechanism, hole is only 2mm wide or so though, so I think I would have trouble fitting both wires in there, So I guess I could use the spring mehod to connect the 2 subs together, and then use a banana plug to connect one of them to the amp. I assume that will connect it all together.

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    Found this pic online to show you what i mean,

See how the wires go into the side of it and are clamped down? thats how i usualy connect mine, but obviously alot neater

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    Had a closer look at mine, and it has a similar thing, has the hole for the wire, but it uses a spring mechanism, hole is only 2mm wide or so though, so I think I would have trouble fitting both wires in there, So I guess I could use the spring mehod to connect the 2 subs together, and then use a banana plug to connect one of them to the amp. I assume that will connect it all together.
    Damn mine are quite large so can easily fit multiple wires in, if yours is too small then connecting it the way you describe will work.

Member Array
    Car:
    1990 Civic ED6
    Damn mine are quite large so can easily fit multiple wires in, if yours is too small then connecting it the way you describe will work.
    Ok, Ill get a picture of what I have to work with and post it up tomorrow, really appreciate the help, I'm sure somewhere in this forum you have answered all these questions. But i really do appreciate it. Then hopefully one day I can pass on this knowledge.

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    Ok, Ill get a picture of what I have to work with and post it up tomorrow, really appreciate the help, I'm sure somewhere in this forum you have answered all these questions. But i really do appreciate it. Then hopefully one day I can pass on this knowledge.
    No worries glad to help.

Member Array
    Car:
    1990 Civic ED6
    Another question came up in my mind. Think we may have briefly gone over it but want your opinion on it. Know I know everyone seems to recommend just spending the extra money on the front speakers but Im not sure if I can do that. After spending the whole night researching speakers and reading reviews, there seems to be a lot of people out there that like the diamond audio speakers. Apparently the aluminium tweeters are really nice, and easy to install. So if they arn't to hard to install I guess components would be better of over coaxials.

So if I was to stick like a set of diamonds 6.5" D363.5 components hooked up to a 2 ch amp, then like some sony 5.25" speakers in the back hooked up to the head unit, would this make it sound bad as a whole? And then if the volume was cranked up would the sonys start to distort while the diamonds had lots left in them, ruining the sound? I have a feeling it will.

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    Another question came up in my mind. Think we may have briefly gone over it but want your opinion on it. Know I know everyone seems to recommend just spending the extra money on the front speakers but Im not sure if I can do that. After spending the whole night researching speakers and reading reviews, there seems to be a lot of people out there that like the diamond audio speakers. Apparently the aluminium tweeters are really nice, and easy to install. So if they arn't to hard to install I guess components would be better of over coaxials.

So if I was to stick like a set of diamonds 6.5" D363.5 components hooked up to a 2 ch amp, then like some sony 5.25" speakers in the back hooked up to the head unit, would this make it sound bad as a whole? And then if the volume was cranked up would the sonys start to distort while the diamonds had lots left in them, ruining the sound? I have a feeling it will.
    if you had the fronts amped and the rears running off the headunit IMO you would be better not running any rear. At full volume a decent set of amped speakers will drown out speakers running off the head unit.

Why not do it this way, spend what you can now on the fronts then if you really want you can wait a bit and save up and get a set for the rear if you need them, but if you get a decent set up the front you should be happy with the output unless you want something that will cause permanant hearing damage.

Unfortunately you cant research speakers online like you can most other things, you need to hear them to know how they sound to you. Ive never heard of diamond audio so cant comment on them sorry. Beware of buying speakers online as there are fakes of certain brands going around, speakers is one of the few things i dont buy online.

Where are you located roughly? might be able to name some stores near you to go check out so you can listin to the difference.

Member Array
    Car:
    1990 Civic ED6
    if you had the fronts amped and the rears running off the headunit IMO you would be better not running any rear. At full volume a decent set of amped speakers will drown out speakers running off the head unit.

Why not do it this way, spend what you can now on the fronts then if you really want you can wait a bit and save up and get a set for the rear if you need them, but if you get a decent set up the front you should be happy with the output unless you want something that will cause permanant hearing damage.

Unfortunately you cant research speakers online like you can most other things, you need to hear them to know how they sound to you. Ive never heard of diamond audio so cant comment on them sorry. Beware of buying speakers online as there are fakes of certain brands going around, speakers is one of the few things i dont buy online.

Where are you located roughly? might be able to name some stores near you to go check out so you can listin to the difference.
    Loganholme, I've only been to places like JB and SCA and repco. They have like kenwood and sony and JVC and not much more.

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    Loganholme, I've only been to places like JB and SCA and repco. They have like kenwood and sony and JVC and not much more.
    Damn im close to the Cbd area so most of the stores ive been too arnt close to you

Is this store closish?
    Autobarn Beenleigh
    131George Street, Beenleigh, QLD 4207
    Ph: 07 3807 9822
    sales@beenleigh.autobarn.com.au
    According to http://www.rmaudio.com.au/html/qld_mc.htm They are morel dealers so maybe give em a call and see if they have any morels on display and pop in and have a listin.

Member Array
    Car:
    1990 Civic ED6
    Damn im close to the Cbd area so most of the stores ive been too arnt close to you

Is this store closish?
    Autobarn Beenleigh
    131George Street, Beenleigh, QLD 4207
    Ph: 07 3807 9822
    sales@beenleigh.autobarn.com.au
    According to http://www.rmaudio.com.au/html/qld_mc.htm They are morel dealers so maybe give em a call and see if they have any morels on display and pop in and have a listin.
    Yer that shop isn't to far a way, might have to go down and see what they have on offer, so had a look in my car today and I have no rear speaker slots, so that is awesome, means I can get decent quality fronts and 2ch amp.

EDIT: Dont think this has been answered yet, how much of a difference does a component set and coaxial set of the same speaker make? Cause all the speakers I have in mind offer them in both, and well lets face it, coaxial is easy. Component is a bit harder to install, but if it will make a big difference I might go to the extra effort.

Also, should I get a fused distribution block, or is unfused ok, both outlets will be going to fused amps, and the inlet will be fused at the battery end. 0ga In and 2 or 4 ga out if that helps.

And one last thing, I only run power back from the positive correct? Not the negative?

Thanks a million.
    Last edited by 90civicGL; 29-03-2012 at 08:32 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    1. Splits can offer better staging, and aside from that, I'm pretty sure you can make better quality drivers if they are both seperate.. you don't have the crossover, tweeter and woofer all in one thing... But imo, it's worth the extra effort.

2. I would get fused, just to be safe... It's not needed, but I just prefer to be safe than sorry

3. Yes, that is correct, only run positive back from the battery. Your grounds will come from a bolt nearby the amps. As close as possible is recommended. The idea is to get something that bolts directly into the cars body or so, and rub away any paint, so it has direct metal to metal contact.