Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget

Gearbox oil change: Possible strange issue. Clarification needed

Hey guys,

Today I thought I'd change my gearbox oil (amongst other things) Please note that I have changed gearbox oils before however this is my first time in the FN2.

Anyway I need some clarification. Attached is an image of my gearbox. Circled in red is what I understand is the fill hole, and circled in blue is the drain bolt/hole. Now, as you can see I have removed the bolt from the fill hole. The issue is, that when I did oil came out (and a lot of it)!

Attached is another picture of the oil that came out of the hole. I was under the impression NO oil should come out if this hole as it is the fill hole. Can anyone please clarify this? I did ask Honda to change the gearbox oil for me approximately 8,000kms ago.

Another note - The car was parked for approximately 3 hours before this bolt was removed. I did my engine oil just before doing this. The car is on level ground.

Did Honda overfill my gearbox? Or is this not the correct bolt? Need to know because it's out now and I can't drive anymore lol

Thanks guys!
    Andrew

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Did you drain it first? Car jacked up evenly (front and back). Silly questions I know.

How do you overfill the GBox? Would just piss out...

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504 View Post
    Did you drain it first? Car jacked up evenly (front and back). Silly questions I know.

How do you overfill the GBox? Would just piss out...
    Car was jacked up evenly. I have no idea how the gearbox was overfilled!!! But when I undid the fill bolt the gearbox pissed all over me. Drained the gearbox and filled using the marked bolt. Gearbox feels much nicer and smoother... I am at a lost as to how this happened. Wonder if this could have caused any damage to the gearbox... It was feeling really notchy hence the change...

probably overfilled, you can fill it through the VSS hole

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    was going to say, could have jacked it up front only and filled it up... could explain it

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    Thanks for the info guys. Pretty disappointed as I paid Honda to do it and I end up with a mess. Hopefully this doesn't cause any issues. No issues so far. Fingers crossed!

Btw my car takes just under 2L of oil from what I've read. I can confirm this is true (just a bit left before it started to spew out again). There must have been about 3-4L in there for the amount my excited car squirted on me and my poor driveway! (I did have a tray handy in case there was some dripping)

Starting to think the apprentices that worked on my car (that's what Honda does right? Take your good money and give your car to the cheap labour. Anyway if there is another fill hole I have a feeling he (or she. Let's not get sexist) just added without removing the old oil...

Quote Originally Posted by androo View Post

just added without removing the old oil...
    lol, that would be very funny if it were true.

the pool on the ground doesn't look like it's that much.

looks like 2 - 3 hundred ml.

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    Ah darn I should have taken a photo a bit later on. The pool spread all over the concrete over a meter after I posted the pic up. It's also the angle the image was taken...

But yeah come to think of it I don't think it was that much. Still at a loss to explain besides the person simply overfilling it?

imo, normally, you wouldn't notice it overfilling, cos you would drain it 1st before opening the fill hole, or do you open the fill hole 1st to let air in when you drain it.......

overfilling by a lil bit wouldn't hurt it that much imo.

like the others said, prolly overfilleed via vss.

OP do this

Park on perfectly flat ground.
    You should be able to access the top of the gearbox - and remove the standard fill hole ( 17mm headed bolt) on the side of the diff housing. Remove this hole , and IF overfilled gearbox fluid will pour out until the level is EXACTLY right. Let it sit for a few minutes until the last drip drip drips , then retighten. Your gearbox fluid is set right.

erm wut

Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    OP do this

Park on perfectly flat ground.
    You should be able to access the top of the gearbox - and remove the standard fill hole ( 17mm headed bolt) on the side of the diff housing. Remove this hole , and IF overfilled gearbox fluid will pour out until the level is EXACTLY right. Let it sit for a few minutes until the last drip drip drips , then retighten. Your gearbox fluid is set right.
    I'm pretty sure when Androo said he did it on a flat surface, he means a flat surface.

Androo isn't a special ozhonda person