Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil usage

Thumbs up Oil usage

Hey, I have a 94 Sedan with a d16y1, about 220Km's.

It's using a lot of oil, im guessing about a litre of oil for each tank of fuel.
    It's defuinitely not leaking, i have double checked this, it must be burning it as there is black soot over the back of my car, and smokes on hard accelerating.
    The oil im using is penrite 20w60.
    On startup it splutters a bit of black stuff onto the driveway.

I originally thought it was the rings, but tested the compression and all 4 were 180 psi.

I was then told it could be the valve stem seals, is there a way of checking this? Could it be anything else?
    Last edited by caljones; 07-04-2012 at 02:24 PM. Reason: wrong

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5 & SF5
    sounds like wear and tear. valve stems are going gone by the sound of things
    -=[BLACK Dc2]=-

EXE TRACK DAY 2014 PB 1:37.0

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    A compression test will not always show that the oil control rings have worn excessively. If you get your mechanic to carry out a leak down test you should be able to check both oil control rings & valve stem seals.
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

valve stem seals would be much cheaper them rings to fix wouldnt it, because you can do it without removing the head? how much am i roughly looking at for either one?

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    Where are you located?

It is to hard to say how much it will cost without stripping down and inspecting. I would recommend removing the cylinder head & getting it sent off for crack & pressure testing and a reface while you get the valve stem seals done. In regards to rings, the block MAY require some machining depending on the condition of it, but at the very least, the cylinders will require honing and I would replace bearings as well.

Depending on what you plan on doing with the car, it will probably end up cheaper to look into a 2nd hand D16Y1 or upgrading to a B or K series (depending on budget)
    Kermit EGK20A

Im in brisbane, and i thought about b16/18 swap but i estimated around 4k, (is this correct)
    i thought that if it was just seals it would be alot cheaper.
    I didnt think it was that wrecked because the engine still runs great, doesnt seem sluggish or anything.

Do you think its needed to remove the head? coud it be that the seals are the majority of the problem? or would that be rare?

Quote Originally Posted by caljones View Post

Do you think its needed to remove the head? coud it be that the seals are the majority of the problem? or would that be rare?
    Quote Originally Posted by stndrd View Post

It is to hard to say how much it will cost without stripping down and inspecting. I
    this.

yeah yeah sure, i guess ill take it into someone local and see.

Cheers.

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    To do a decent b series swap you will be looking at around 4k as you said (that includes new t/belt kit, fuel pump & clutch)

It is highly recommended that you remove the head to do valve stem seals. I would be having a chat to an engine builder before you do much more
    Kermit EGK20A

Member Array
    Car:
    b18 ek
    id set aside 5 for an engine swap always better to be prepared for unforeseeable circumstances. b18 into my ek came up to 5

Member Array
    Car:
    S2K
    Buy a bottle of stop leak and pour it in your engine oil - if it stops the smoking (gradually), then you know it's the seals. Cheap temp fix I guess. Otherwise, not recommended but a cap of brake fluid would do the same. You didn't hear it from me.

Peace.

Member Array
    Car:
    b18c2+T Ej8
    Quote Originally Posted by caljones View Post
    Hey, I have a 94 Sedan with a d16y1, about 220Km's.

It's using a lot of oil, im guessing about a litre of oil for each tank of fuel.
    It's defuinitely not leaking, i have double checked this, it must be burning it as there is black soot over the back of my car, and smokes on hard accelerating.
    The oil im using is penrite 20w60.
    On startup it splutters a bit of black stuff onto the driveway.

I originally thought it was the rings, but tested the compression and all 4 were 180 psi.

I was then told it could be the valve stem seals, is there a way of checking this? Could it be anything else?
    Dry compression would not tell if oil rings are bad. what you should do is to pour a lil bit of oil in each cylinder. if the compression goes up. that's mean oil ring are bad if they stay the same than the seals are bad.
    Honda from what i know they use 1 oil ring and 2 compression ring, so possibly oil rings are cracked, broken... Just do wet compression again.
    Note: after you finish the wet compression it's gonna smoke hell a lot for 10-15min