Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz 2010

HRV awd system tweak?

Hi guys
    I have a little HRV and took it to the Boat Habour couple of times on the beach sand.

It did well, only problem is as we all know that the front wheels really have to skid/spin/whatever to get the rear wheels spinning.

It caused a typical front wheel drive issues at the sand. Got bogged, got out, thanks to AWD system but had to do a massive drop clutch to get the front wheel spin so rear kick in.
    It would have been much easier drive if it was constant AWD system on demand.

Now, the question is.

Is HRV AWD system electronically controlled? like, the computer detects the front wheel spin/skid and then triggers/engages the rear?
    If it is the case, perhaps an good auto electrician can install me a switch to turn it on/off manually on demand?

just wondering..
    Now, i will be a honda owner once again..

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    Nope.

Its hydraulically activated.

the basics of how it works is, the front wheels spin, and this builds up pressure in the front diff, which sends fluid towards the back, and locks up the clutch that is infront of the rear diff, sending power to the rear wheels.

As soon as the rear wheels are spinning the same speed as the front, the pressure equalizes, and the clutch disengages.

It could be done, but it causes premature wear on components, and it isnt as simple as hitting a switch

to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz 2010
    Thanks trism.

If that is how is it works, is "drop clutch" the best way to build pressure at the rear?
    I have seen some hrv's rear wheel spins on snow and dust. Seems to get their rear wheels to spin quiet well.
    Now, i will be a honda owner once again..