Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2008 civic vti

Would 15w40 oil be bad for 08 civic vti ?

I had an oil change from my regular mechanic and saw that he used Valvoline Engine Armour synthetic blend 15w40 on my motor. I was thinking something like 5w30 is more appropriate but he said it was okay and covered in the range suggested in the manual. What do you think ?

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    i'd go thinner... unless ur burning oil or something there's no reason to step up.. and your motor's so fresh anyway it should be fine
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic Sedan
    Also would go fully synthetic. Is better for you engine

Btw - why don't people change their own oil? It's so ridiculously easy and cheap!

stance > fenders

Member Array
    Car:
    FDrive
    when i first tried to change the oil, it took me ages and alot of sweatin and cussing (tat bitch of an oil filter placement)

but now after doing it regularly and with the proper tools needed for an oil change, it takes around 30 minutes

only thing u need to pay out is the engine oil and oil filter.. and yeh best using fully synthethic and the weight depends on the condition of your engine. cars goin for 4 years now and ive done around 47,000km.. usin mobil 1 fully synthetic 0W-40 for a while, tat shiet is beast and $$$ and ive used OEM honda, castrol, motul, purple royal in the past

i wouldnt go as far as 15W-40 but maybe for a new engine.. all round up i go would agree to go thinner

Member Array
    Car:
    FD1-RR 2.7
    depends on your location Josem, 15w40 would be fine if you live in Qld. if you live in a cold climate then the you should really be using a 5w or 10w over winter as the oil will be able get to work protecting your engine sooner.