Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Perhaps he's not mechanically savvy and treasures his type r.Cant blame him for being a bit nervous.

I dont see that a momentary 9k hit will do anything bad.Its not far from the engines safe range anyway

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5s
    If you really did over rev, there is a good chance you have cracked your valve retainer(s).

Of course everything will be fine for now, until the retainer(s) fails one day and the valve falls....

If you're really worried check your retainers (especially bottom side up) and get a compression test.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    honda
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikecivic78 View Post
    Im trying to know why you are so stressed.

maybe you read about how the last generation Celica engines (1.8- 141kw) would pretty much blow up if you did that... apparently the oil pump would disintegrate
    Im not stressed out anymore, but as I said, its a first time this has occurred. Hence, why I'm paranoid, but at least I learned my lesson not to do stupid mistakes!!

Member Array
    Car:
    Teg
    The fuel cut would have saved you in this situation, you're lucky it wasn't something as foolish as a 5th to 2nd downshift..
    If were fast enough to put the clutch in I'd say don't even worry about it. Also since a dc2r has to be put into third before you hit 100 its not that far a step down into high rpm 2nd so there isn't a great amount of load on the motor..

Edit - (assuming you didn't heel toe) WHY were you watching the rpm while your car violently jerked and slowed?
    Last edited by slingsy; 16-04-2012 at 06:41 PM.
    All Motor

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2 teg
    Quote Originally Posted by blackdc2r View Post
    yeah oil is right on the upper dot level

Like everyone said . Your a Ok.

-Also like you said your oil is on top meaning theres no oil starvation.
    Which is a plus.

Just take this as a lesson learnt . We all learn something new everyday.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    honda
    Quote Originally Posted by slingsy View Post
    The fuel cut would have saved you in this situation, you're lucky it wasn't something as foolish as a 5th to 2nd downshift..
    If were fast enough to put the clutch in I'd say don't even worry about it. Also since a dc2r has to be put into third before you hit 100 its not that far a step down into high rpm 2nd so there isn't a great amount of load on the motor..

Edit - (assuming you didn't heel toe) WHY were you watching the rpm while your car violently jerked and slowed?
    yeah well the situation occurred for say 0.5seconds-1second then i straight away shifted back to third. Well as silly as I can get, I watched my Rpm cause I wanted to check where did the engine revved up to, and also cause there were no cars on the road.

Member Array
    Car:
    96" VTIR Civic
    dude i use to bounce off my rev limiter all day every day with no oil showing on the dipstick

took a good hammering like that for about 12 months before it spun a bearing
    R.F.F.R

Member Array
    Car:
    EF8
    aslong as the belt didnt skip a tooth it should be a ok. not saying you should excessively do it, but if timing is right then valves will clear pistons and no immediate damage should occur such as pistons smashing into valves.

Member Array
    Car:
    Pimpin rover
    Quote Originally Posted by ek4-guy View Post
    dude i use to bounce off my rev limiter all day every day with no oil showing on the dipstick

took a good hammering like that for about 12 months before it spun a bearing
    I can confirm this hahahahaha

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz R
    I thought top speed for 2nd gear was like 100km/h? 3rd to 2nd down shift at 80 or 90kms per hr should not cause car to spin at 9000rpm range...
    ALLIGATORS GOT A GATE

Member Array
    Car:
    AccordCB7 Turbo
    I did this once, and my Distributor Rotor disintergated.
    That was a fun night!
    It's not 4x4 status, think of it as "Winter Mode".

Nah standard dc2 2nd gear goes up to about 90 by the redline. He was probably around the 100 mark when shifting down.