Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9

Extra Sound Deadening

I'm looking at getting some extra sound deadening for my car. Thinking of Dynamat, but was wondering if it made any difference, and how much weight it adds to the car.

Account Disabled Array
    pm TbM or Cb paint & panel

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Members or Traders? Don't see them on the trader list though.

Member Array
    Car:
    Grocery getter
    I see that you're from Melbourne

PM Cb Paint&Panel.

He is from eastside of melbourne
    I don't even know anymore.

Member Array
    Car:
    '05 Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMaster View Post
    I'm looking at getting some extra sound deadening for my car. Thinking of Dynamat, but was wondering if it made any difference, and how much weight it adds to the car.
    Dynamat will make an incredible difference to your stereo, if thats what you want it for. First and most basic step is to do the immediate area around the speaker. If you want to get a little more excited with it, you can line the inner and outer skins of your doors. If you want to go all out, you can do the boot, floor roof etc. Whilst it will add weight, it really depends on how far you want to go to get the most out of your audio setup.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    Well the first thing is, do you want it for the reduced road noise part of it, or the better sound quality part?

If the former, you'll need dynaliner, it goes under the carpet.

If its for better sound quality for your stereo, you need dynamat, and place it on the inner and outer door skins, as well as filling all of the service holes.

Send an email to rick (at) formaudio.com and tell him trism sent you. He will look after you and give you plenty of info
    Last edited by trism; 19-04-2012 at 07:46 PM.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro 03
    Woa rick from src I remember his car. didn't realise he has his own company now. but from what I remember his quality is amazing and will sort you out for everything you need. but he is in nsw.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    Quote Originally Posted by marquee View Post
    Woa rick from src I remember his car. didn't realise he has his own company now. but from what I remember his quality is amazing and will sort you out for everything you need. but he is in nsw.
    Lol you were on SRC? Man, I never thought I'd run into another member on here.

As for being in NSW, he has shipped all over the country from memory.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro 03
    Quote Originally Posted by trism View Post
    Lol you were on SRC? Man, I never thought I'd run into another member on here.

Yer man piece of poo 4afc ae92. But shit i miss it.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Yeah, I'm after getting rid of road noise. Do a lot of fwy driving, and having moved to larger rims, found that there's a lot more road noise. Maybe it's the choice of tyres... (conti CSC3...) currently happy with the stock system. Think it's Bose from factory anyway. Not really a DIY type of guy, so prob looking to have it fitted.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMaster View Post
    Yeah, I'm after getting rid of road noise. Do a lot of fwy driving, and having moved to larger rims, found that there's a lot more road noise. Maybe it's the choice of tyres... (conti CSC3...) currently happy with the stock system. Think it's Bose from factory anyway. Not really a DIY type of guy, so prob looking to have it fitted.
    Have you tried the sound spray foam in the wheel well? cause th theres typre noise going to the source might help.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Well the first thing is, do you want it for the reduced road noise part of it, or the better sound quality part?

If the former, you'll need dynaliner, it goes under the carpet.
    You mean DynaPad, which is an MLV based product -see info below. Dynaliner is a foam material and beneficial in decoupling panels from metal to help decrease noise also.

If its for better sound quality for your stereo, you need dynamat, and place it on the inner and outer door skins, as well as filling all of the service holes.

Send an email to rick(at)formaudio.com and tell him trism sent you. He will look after you and give you plenty of info
    ^ Since that's me, and i've been mentioned, i thought i'd provide a little more info in regards to Dynamat.

The main purpose and benefit of Dynamat is to lower the resonant frequency of the panel, by adding mass (weight) to that panel. For example, if a door skin resonates (i.e. vibrates) at 150hz, then when your speaker plays that frequency, the door skin will vibrate. This is the doors resonant frequency. If you add mass to it, then you are reducing that frequency, to say, 50hz, which means you're changing the point at which it will vibrate, therefore minimising vibrations and perceived distortion. (Note that the above numbers etc, are just examples used for explanation purposes).

You are essentially solidifying your door, to give your speakers a better listening environment. Go look at your home theatre speakers, and you'll notice that they are in nice solid sealed enclosures. Your car door is actually like a tin can with many leaking holes (service holes). By deadening the door and sealing over those service holes, you're making your door more like an enclosure, and giving the speaker a better environment to play in. Anyone who says that its a "waste of time" is plain ignorant and has no concept of the physics of how a speaker works, and/or car audio in general.

Given we're talking in the context of door speakers for a second; speaker diffuser panels are also recommended directly behind the speaker to deflect and diffuse backwaves from the speaker cone, and prevent them reflecting back onto the back of the speaker cone.

Whilst Dynamat will also 'help' in reducing road noise (basically due to the effects mentioned above) its not actually the best product to use in reducing road noise and exhaust note entering the cabin/car. For that you'll need a different type of mass adding product, and it's best used when decoupled from the cars chassis, such as MLV (Mass Loaded Vinyl) with a foam layer etc - i.e. Dynapad. The problem with this and for performance car owners, is its weight. To do a car properly with this stuff, you'd be adding around 20 odd kg to the car, under the carpet.

Quote Originally Posted by marquee View Post
    Yeah mate, thats me!
    And yep, i can help with just about anything car audio related, and ship it just about anywhere!

Cheers,
    Rick.