Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buying an interstate vehicle

Hey all.
    so I'm a Victorian L player looking to buy his first car. I've seen something I really like located in NSW - I just want to know, what costs are involved with buying a vehicle interstate?
    here is what I have:
    Cost of vehicle (can possibly be negotiated down due to not needing a NSW rego)
    Cost for a RACV comprehensive check - $300 ish
    Trucking to Victoria - 400ish
    Registration in Victoria - 1200 ish
    Insurance - TBA

Alright, what can you add or remove?
    Some more questions - what do I need to look out for while buying a vehicle across states?
    how much can I realistically haggle the price down?
    How much does an average 100,000k service cost?
    And what should I look our for in a second hand DC5s?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK
    I once sold my car to interstate buyer and the guy drove it back.
    You have to come and see the car youself, might as well drive it back.
    No need to truck it IMO.

Make sure u do revs check.

Member Array
    Car:
    Canon 5d
    you're better off flying up and getting it checked before you buy

With Rego, keep it til it expires and once it does Rego it in Vic, or you can cancel nsw and get an exemption plate so you can drive it down. Once it's down, you have to get it all checked then rego. Search up on interstate buyer, there's threads everywhere

Look for broken mounts, dc5 oem mounts aren't the best if it's been thrashed.

All the best

Regards,

Rodney
    you're probably asleep right now but I love you and you're the most beautiful girl I met, inside and out. have a good nights sleep and I hope this puts a smile on your face when you wake up.

The only thing with driving it back is that I can't - the DC5s is a manual - so I have to get practice on a manual gear box before I get my P's (which is why I'm buying much before my 18th birthday - ie. I can't properly drive a manual yet so I don't want to risk it.)
    As for engine mounts - how do you tell -and is it a costly repair if they are broken?
    Last edited by DaRKNT; 15-05-2012 at 11:33 AM.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Define 'costly'.

My last set of OEM mounts was $800-900. Aftermarket ones probably $500. Plus labour.

Look at the mount itself. It's got a rubber insert visible from the sides. Check for cracks. Look on google.

Thanks for the info - I will definitely take a look at it. I'm guessing it's not the sort of labour you can preform yourself with minimal mechanical knowledge - is it?

Member Array
    Car:
    Canon 5d
    Quote Originally Posted by DaRKNT View Post
    Thanks for the info - I will definitely take a look at it. I'm guessing it's not the sort of labour you can preform yourself with minimal mechanical knowledge - is it?
    What dougie said was right, aftermarket brands are hardrace etc and they cost around 450-600 depending where you source it and labour is minimum 300. My mates mounts snapped twice, he has snapped oem and aftermarket but his driving explains that.

Correct
    you're probably asleep right now but I love you and you're the most beautiful girl I met, inside and out. have a good nights sleep and I hope this puts a smile on your face when you wake up.

•CRX• represent Array
    Car:
    CRX+CBR250RR
    i drove my daily del back from NSW to VIC and it was as simply getting a RWC here in Melb.
    as others have said dont tow it back.

REVS CHECK IT A MUST I DID THAT ALSO

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK
    PPSR is also a good one to check vehicle history.
    This also check whether the vehicle is still under finance or not.
    And its only $3.70 from memory. Used this service when I bought my car and bike.

http://www.ppsr.gov.au/Pages/ppsr.aspx

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra Type S
    i bought my dc5s from sydney. Dont worry about getting the road worthy done in nsw. they get you to do it again once yo u are back in vic for registration. and make sure u check revs ( whether it was a repairable write off or owes finance ) . I think i found a trucking company for 300 or roughly there cant remember. make sure you check for any damages on the car before you send it off ) if the car still has rego that is fine, all they do is transfer it into victorian rego.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi
    Fly up, inspect. Cost is a couple of hundred dollars max. Bring a friend who can drive manual.

I bought a Victorian car. Flew down $69. Guy picked me up at airport (not too far to his house). Inspect, test drive. Buy. Do paperwork.

Drove it home to Sydney as it still had some rego (about three months).

End of three months, inspection here, pay rego. Done.

Peter
    Still here. Still kickin'

Member Array
    Car:
    Shitbox
    so you guys are saying i can use the rego until it expires? what about that 14 day rule about needing to have it transferred? i bought my evo at syd but i didnt have these problems yet as i was on NSW p plates and thought it would be easier to drive a turbo car in VIC in NSW plates

by the way its a nsw car to Vic.