Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz R

Review: Whiteline 22mm Rear Sway Bar kit BHR83XZ comes /w rear subframe brace

So I came across this whiteline 22mm rear sway bar kit for EK civic and the kit which includes a rear subframe brace.

I reckon under $300 for a 22mm RSB plus sub frame brace is pretty unbeatable!!

Has anyone used this kit and what are your thoughts?

Pics can be found in installation guide
    http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/ins...uides/Z376.pdf

ended up buying it my thought below..
    Last edited by EG52NV; 08-05-2012 at 06:37 PM.
    ALLIGATORS GOT A GATE

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz R
    So I found this thread... http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?62204

Well after much reading I took the plunge and bought one LOL will report back once arrived and installed
    ALLIGATORS GOT A GATE

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Was in the same boat a 1.5 yr ago, ended up getting ASR with White line bar instead lol

Why didnt i go with whiteline brace? well for starters, few members have used the same setup and have had problems related to sub frame failure... so that really turned me off, the revised setup has yet to address the proper issue...

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...Sway-bar-kit.&

Just hope it works out good for ya
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz R
    I took some pics which might help answer some questions about the reinforcement bar

the tubes are pretty thick

the backing plate supplied

the whole kit seems to be supplied with hi tensile bolts now

comparison in size

side view of fitment
    ALLIGATORS GOT A GATE

Member Array
    Car:
    I own an Engine
    That subframe brace looks like a piece of cardboard cut out, seriously doubting the strength of that thing

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz R
    Quote Originally Posted by Wru View Post
    That subframe brace looks like a piece of cardboard cut out, seriously doubting the strength of that thing
    yeah that's what I thought too but upon closer inspection the whiteline bar its made of high density solid metal where as ASR is alloy (same strength with weight saving which is why ASR are so damn expensive!)
    Last edited by EG52NV; 08-05-2012 at 06:38 PM.
    ALLIGATORS GOT A GATE

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz R
    not to be confused with the previous V1 2 piece kit which was notorious for tearing subframes

Problem with the old kit was that the 2 piece rear swaybar mounting plates had the potential to flex when high load was exerted by the 22mm RSB at where the D bushings sit and depending on which side the car was turning it would eventually pluck the mounting hardware straight out of the subframe but "only one side", the new kit has a one piece bar meaning the mounting plates are now joined creating more surface area to distribute RSB load through out the whole bar meaning less flex in the mounting plate which equates to less load being placed on the mounting points not to mention the force that used to pluck at 3 mounting points on the subframe (including tie bolt) is now distributed across the 1 piece bar and needs to pluck at all 6 mounting points

I truly believe the 2 piece kit failure was simply due to it being a 2 piece mounting setup.

I would even go as far as saying that IF the ASR kit was in 2 pieces like the whiteline V1 kit above it would certainly tear the subframe too regardless if there were backing plates to sandwich the mounting points to the subframe...

So if anyone has reports of torn subframe with the new 1 piece design installed properly I'd really like to hear about it because I can't seem to find any post about it...
    Last edited by EG52NV; 08-05-2012 at 06:38 PM.
    ALLIGATORS GOT A GATE

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Looks like shit welding on the back plate

also how do you identify high tensile bolt? if its golden?

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz R
    Quote Originally Posted by EKVTIR-T View Post
    Looks like shit welding on the back plate

also how do you identify high tensile bolt? if its golden?
    what's the welds go to do with the price of fish? tubes are obviously welded on for convenience of holding them in place when installing the bar wouldn't make a difference if they were welded on or not as they are sandwitched between the subframe and the bar.

bolts are golden with hight tensile figures on them...
    ALLIGATORS GOT A GATE

wow what a bargain! aren't whiteline a well known top quality brand? i'd get one of these for sure if i didnt have a brace already :P

does the brace feel flimsy at all when its installed in the car? everything bolt up properly and no mismatched holes etc? i'd like to know more about this thing! haha
    team.gradeA

more smart. more safe. moreTEIN

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz R
    Quote Originally Posted by impossi13le View Post
    wow what a bargain! aren't whiteline a well known top quality brand? i'd get one of these for sure if i didnt have a brace already :P

does the brace feel flimsy at all when its installed in the car? everything bolt up properly and no mismatched holes etc? i'd like to know more about this thing! haha
    the brace is sold metal man, like I said if people want weight reduction save up for the ASR kit made of alloy, or else if you're not too fussed this kit works as advertised and when I did a search everyone was baging out the V1 kit and I agree 2 piece mounting plates were a bad ides havent seen anyone post problems with the revised 1 piece bar and had no issues with alignment
    ALLIGATORS GOT A GATE

i doubt this one would be THAT much heavier than the ASR kit to have a noticable difference but yeh, didnt even know whiteline made braces, i thought only strut bars and sway bars lol
    team.gradeA

more smart. more safe. moreTEIN