Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cluster problem

cluster problem

today, as i was driving on the free way i realised the revs for my civic vti are lower than usual when driving a 100
    it is just above 2,000RPM's whereas i rmemeber it use to be over 2.5000rpms+ while on gear 5 driving 100km/h

what can be the problem? there doesnt seem to be any signs of lack of power also would it be possible if my kms/h be lagged just like the rpm? meaning i am going about 110 on gear 5 at just above 2000rpm?
    if that made sence.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi
    The Civic VTi sends an electronic signal via the VSS located at the back of the gearbox.

It is easy to remove and visually check. Just undo the small bolt that holds it in, jiggle it and pull straight up. Check the nylon wheel for wear.

The other thing is check the plug for damage or the wiring.

You could swap the unit out with another to check its operation.

I don't think the problem will be in the cluster, but if you can get hold of another cluster (with tacho) you can check.

Peter
    Still here. Still kickin'

Approximately how high should the RPMs be in 5th at 100km/h no aircon? I've also got an EG5 and it sits at like 3k RPM on the freeway, dont think it was always like that
    KEEP IT VIET | KEEP IT JDM
    FaLL iN LoVe WheN YoU aRe ReAdY, NoT WhEN YoU ARe LOnEly

Member Array
    Car:
    S2K
    D15B7 sits on 3000rpm and speedo at 108km/hr ish - but according to GPS, i'm doing 100km/h.

so from the speed sensor it also controls the revs?
    cos since at 100 its suppose to be about 2700, and now its 100 at 2200 approx, then does that mean im actually going 110 ish? since the revs are lagged... but i will also grab another cluster off my sis inlaw, same car 1 year diff, give that a try also
    Quote Originally Posted by jdm_b16a View Post
    The Civic VTi sends an electronic signal via the VSS located at the back of the gearbox.

It is easy to remove and visually check. Just undo the small bolt that holds it in, jiggle it and pull straight up. Check the nylon wheel for wear.

The other thing is check the plug for damage or the wiring.

You could swap the unit out with another to check its operation.

I don't think the problem will be in the cluster, but if you can get hold of another cluster (with tacho) you can check.

Peter
    on 5th going 100 should be about 2700 nomore,

Member Array
    Car:
    S2K
    Oh i'm on 14" wheels btw.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by zhong View Post
    D15B7 sits on 3000rpm and speedo at 108km/hr ish - but according to GPS, i'm doing 100km/h.
    Sounds about right. Gps isn't always 100% accurate. Most car speedos are calibrated to read slightly higher than the actual speed too. So its possibly a combination of these two things.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    I'm about 3,000 at 100KM/H.

D16Y1 in EH9. 15x6 with 195/50/15.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic '96 Gli
    If it's any help here, I'm running 16/6.5 205/45/R16 on an EK1. Engine - D16Y4 and I'm sitting on 2500 or so in 5th at 100km

Can you hear/feel the revs to know if your tacho is out? What happens in other gears? What happens over a range of revs? When you redline it, can you hear that it's almost on the rev limiter and does the tacho agree? Do you know your typical speed ranges for the different gears?

yeah i roughly do know the speed ranges in different gears, i know for sure every gear is lower revs, gonna go chuck a cluster in now and see how it works

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    have you changed wheel or tyre sizes recently? that can change it a tad too... I went from my 12"s to 15"s with a slightly larger diameter, and my speedo is now about 7% faster (as in, if I was to hold 60 as i did with the old wheels on, it's a little bit less than 60)
    Else, i'd say it's a higher chance of the speed thingo being off...

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz GD3
    First check you are actually travelling at 100km/hr with a GPS when its 2000rpms.
    Also the speed sensor got nothing to do with Rev counter. Revs are triggered off the dizzy.